New Feeder Reel

robinta

Hi folks.

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new feeder reel to replace my Drennan FD4000 (which hasn't fared to well after being left for my 5 year hiatus, in a part of the garage that wasn't totally dry).

It's for general feeder duties and possibly some pellet waggler work In the summer maybe a small method feeder occasionally too) and I think the 4000 size would be spot on.

I really liked the drennan 4000 and have a 3000 for general float fishing, but remember even before I packed in, the drennan had real issues with the bail arm closure, so I'm a bit reluctant to go that way again (although having 3 spools is great for being multi purpose).

I'm not particularly bothered by front or rear drag, but don't really want to go past £60 for the use I'll probably get out of it.

Cheers in advance

Robin

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Ninja is a good call. I use my 2500 lure fishing for Pike and it's coped quite nicely. A smooth reel for the price.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
The sales blurb mostly. I've used my old Mitchell 300 for feeder fishing with no problems. Having said that, any modern reel will outperform that ten times over - at least, but it's still fun to fish with, ;)

robinta

I must admit I like the look of the ninjas. Do they have a shallow(ish) spool as I hate adding backing to my reels (one of the reasons the Drennan was so appealing

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
My 2500 came with two spools both of medium depth. No backing required and both spools comfortably loaded with braid and no backing. Can't speak for their larger reels though.

alsur

Site Supporter
If you don't mind ordering from France I don't think you will beat daiwa procaster evo for value, I have 3000 version I also have Drennan FD3000 the daiwa is a miles better reel and has much better line clip important for feeder fishing. I have never used pecheur but I think some people on here have.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I must admit I like the look of the ninjas. Do they have a shallow(ish) spool as I hate adding backing to my reels (one of the reasons the Drennan was so appealing
Definitely not shallow, took 300m of 5lb to fill my 2500 ninja. For what it's worth I mostly use the RD 4000 drennan for feeder fishing and the RD 3000 drennan for float fishing as they are quite light, functional enough and like you say have shallow spools actually designed for coarse fishing.

Last edited:

robinta

Definitely not shallow, took 300m of 5lb to fill my 2500 ninja. For what it's worth I mostly use the RD 4000 drennan for feeder fishing and the RD 3000 drennan for float fishing as they are quite light, functional enough and like you say have shallow spools actually designed for coarse fishing.
Have you ever had bail arm issues with either reel?

lucc

I find the Daiwa brakes much less "sensible" than the Shimano ones.
I would go for a sedona 4000, cheap and excellent quality.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
No, I have a Ninja 3012a reel which I plan to use for Feeder fishing and it took 300m of 6m line. Not what I would call a shallow spool. Cadence reels appear to be highly rated on these forums and come with shallow spools.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Diawa numbering system will tell you how much line a spool will take, the 1st two digits give the reel size and the last two the line capacity, with 00 being a deep spool anything up to 08 will be the weight of line in lbs BS that 100m fills the spool anything 08 and above it will the weight of line that 150m fills the spool. So a 3000 reel will be a 30 size reel with a deep spool but a 3012 will be a 30 size reel with a spool that takes 150m of 12lb line and a 2506 would be a 25 size reel with a spool that takes 100m of 6lb line.

richox12

Does that then mean every Daiwa reel comes with spare spools (if they do) of exactly the same size/depth as the one on the reel ? Otherwise the actual reel code wouldn't work (because a reel with 2 different spare spools would mean 3 different identification numbers).

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Does that then mean every Daiwa reel comes with spare spools (if they do) of exactly the same size/depth as the one on the reel ? Otherwise the actual reel code wouldn't work (because a reel with 2 different spare spools would mean 3 different identification numbers).
My Ninja reel has come with a spare spool of the same size if that helps?

alsur

Site Supporter
I think some of newer Daiwa reel don't come with spare spool, I've got 3 Daiwa 3000 size reels, TDM 3012 both spools same size 195m of O.27 line, Procaster Evo 3008 both spools same size 190m of 0.20, Normal Procaster 3000A 220m of 0.28