New club with strict bait rules

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I've managed to get a membership on the lake in the Royal Military Academy. No idea what's in it other than someone telling me there is "a lot". No idea on species or size they go to. The lake is about 7-10 acres I think.
There is almost no information online about it also

The rules say "Bait. The following baits are banned: all boilies or similar high protein baits, artificial baits and luncheon meat. No surface baits are to be used. Only the following baits are permitted: maggot, castor, bread, hemp, worm, maize and sweet corn (as hook bait only)."

While we're all locked down I've been thinking of ways to approach the first session. I'm thinking of ground bait feeder with worm on the hook and a waggler with maggot over some hemp and ground bait, plus have a loaf of white sliced to try as well.

How would you do it?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
going to have to feel your way in and go from there, i would start with with maggots, worm & caster and then sweetcorn, depending on the fish bread flake may well be a winner along with mashed bread as feed. is groundbait allowed? and i would use hemp if fishing on the deck or roach fishing, really need to get some idea of whats in there but that is what i would do. good luck

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Yes, groundbait is allowed, up to 2kg per day.
I'm not sure when they say as hook bait only if that applies to just the sweetcorn or all on that list, I'm assuming only sweetcorn bit not sure why loose feeding it is banned?

Krh57

Site Supporter
Sweet corn rule is because someone will put in 12 + tins of corn ! I guess that is why meat is banned because people abuse the use of it !!

sampower

I think maggots short, corn line. Separate your swims and see what works best.
I don’t think I’d go in with a feeder first time. Keep it basic on pole or wag IMO

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm surprised bread isn't banned, for the same reason as corn and meat.

Whisker

Site Supporter
I'd go wag and mag for the first time to see how it goes.
Maybe take a feeder rod just in case if there's not much happening.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
It's a restricted membership, RMAS staff and cadets, 50 MOD employees civilian and 120 civilian members. The guy that told me about it said it's often only got 1 or 2 people on it. I'm guessing it's like an old estate lake. I'm dreaming of solitude and misty starts with good hauls of tench and bream

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Also got to be one of the most secure fisheries in the country, razor wire fences, CCTV and armed guards

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All new waters I start on wag and mag, best way of finding out what’s in there.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Another for wag and mag tactics here, with either worm or corn on the feeder.

davylad

Site Supporter
If it's not been managed for a year or two, you might find it's plagued with bits.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
I'd go and not even fish,mix your 2kg of groundbait,worms,corn,maggort, find a nice place to fish,fill it in,then go back tomorrow. That's assuming you are fishing the feeder.sounds like a big old water,and you want to give yourself the best chance of finding them.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Is that the one at Shrivenham..?...if it is I have had a walk around it quite a few times, lots of roach/Rudd on the surface and signs of bigger fish in the weed beds other than that can't tell you a lot as I have not seen anyone fishing any time I have been there....looks nice though

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Is that the one at Shrivenham..?...if it is I have had a walk around it quite a few times, lots of roach/Rudd on the surface and signs of bigger fish in the weed beds other than that can't tell you a lot as I have not seen anyone fishing any time I have been there....looks nice though
No, it's one of the lakes on the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Berkshire. There are 2 lakes you can fish, one coarse and one trout fly only. I nearly joined both but I don't fly fish enough to justify the cost of that

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Finally got my camp pass and going this evening for a few hours. Going to mainly fish a waggler with maggot but also take a feeder rod with some ground bait and worms. Will take a loaf of bread and tin of corn as a change bait as well. Quite excited

Silver fan 82

If it were me I would fish two rods if allowed. I would set up a feeder rod with either cage feeder or method using groundbait with corn or worm on the hook and use that almost as a sleeper rod and on the other rod maggot and waggler to get a feel for the place.