new carp rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Lazarus
hi all &carp anglers ,collected my rod sleeves yesterday all i need now is some new /used carp rods i want 2 rod's the rods i need Rods to be able to fish at a distance,also to fish the method & margin fishing do i get several cheap ones or go the whole hog get &get something like a Daiwa Infinity X. Which according to the write ups will do all 3 also advice on suitable line to match the Shimano Big Pit Reel's i have .

Cheer's Larry

paul mc

Hi Larry
Im no expert when it comes to carp rods but i dont think you can go far wrong with a Harrison rod http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/. I personally use a ballista slim & have found it to be verry good.I use mine mainly for margin fishing but it will cast a method quite well. Their whole range of rods are good and they are quite helpfull as well, but you can not buy direct from them (well you couldnt last year not to sure now tho).

Regards Paul Mc

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Larry

I'm not joking mate you really should buy a copy of the bargain pages (out tomorrow) the price of stuff in there is unbelievable (i've seen shimano carp rods in there for a tenner a piece).

You should also try ringing used tackle cos their carp rods start at just 10.

Or you could always ask one o' them scouse Mac lads to get you a special (nudge nudge wink wink) cheap one
(good job scousers have a sense of humour init)

Alan
You've just been moderated

MalcB

Good advice already given, but take alook at the nash hooliguns - they'll do all you ask. personally I went for 3 of the Quantum Energy's made by Browning - a beautiful rod, with fuji rings throughout. 100 each at half price.

regards line, go for braid - something like the power pro, would be ideal or Fox submerge which is what i use.

Larry

Lazarus
thanks all for info i'll Trogg i'll scouse to see if he can get me some

Cheer's Larry

Alan Roe

Have a good look at the Greys Prodigy rods 99 each with a lifetime warranty on them ....seriously good value and superb rods.

Cheers
Alan

Larry

Lazarus
alan are the greys prodigy rods 12 ft 2 peice must be 12ft to fit the shimano rod sleeves ive brought sorry i ought to have said

Cheer's Larry

Larry

Lazarus
Alan do you know where i can get the prodigy from i know greys are a good rod price sounds to good to miss .

Cheer's Larry

Larry

Lazarus
malc b sorry i want to use rods on my own pool as well so no Braid theres a ban on it at present ,So it;ll have to mono or deratives of mono,i'll bear what you say mind about braid & get some spare spools &put braid on them to fish where it's allowed.

Cheer's Larry

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Larry - you can get many of the benefits of braid by using fluorocarbon line.

Very low stretch (maybe 4-5% as compared to 25% for typical mono), does not absorb water so wet strength (including the knot) is the same as dry strength (unlike mono which gets significantly weaker when wet).

Also, the fluoro lines are heavy and sink nicely which may be good or may be bad for your style of fishing.

I don't know what the UK situation for fluoro line at reasonable prices is but plenty of good options in the US so ask if you need information. You should be able to find it at only slightly more money than a good quality mono.

I would avoid the Berkley Vanish though since last time I tried the stuff it was not good. Only bad line I can ever remember Berkley making but it really was. Inconsistant diameter which would lead to some serious weak spots and a few other quirks.

Newt Vail

darryl

the carp rods from used tackle for 10 are alright for starters but their dragon range is better and roger the owener see`s you alright

Zinky

Grumpy
I will go with Alan Roe on the rods then strap and Okuma to that and you have a very powerfull combination.
Okuma feel the power and leave your Earth behind.
Load with Newts line recomendations and off you go enjoy.
www.skrinkle.co.uk

Larry

Lazarus
Thanks for all your help, but iv'e solved my rod problem ,with the help of Trogg &bargain pages ive just got 2 Diawa Infinity X - 2.75TC
Long Distance Carp Rods for 300.00 = (3WEEKS HARD GRAFT 'S OVERTIME) So coupled with with the Shimano Big Pit Reels ,I'll have a powerful combination all ive got to do now is start catching a few fish with them.Iv'w tried load's of time's to post this my wife never come's near computer but every time i tried to post she appeared to put her arms round a looked at what i was posting only she asked how much i paid i said 100-00what she doesn't doesnt hurt her, only she asked me if we'd got enough money to do the dreade D-WORD & I said i hadn't managed to save enough yet.

Cheer's Larry

Larry

Lazarus
Newt ,are you talking about using the Flouro carbon as a reel line ,as i only use it as a hook length at present i have'nt seen any flourcarbon in large spools the most ive seen is 100yd's but then again i suppose that should be enough there not many pegs where i could fish more than that any way. The one i use at the moment is Riverge Gran Max i swear by it.I Know Suffix do some called invisible theres Ghost. I Never even thought of using it as a reel line but if it sinks .it stop me getting false bites as line would stay on the bottom.

Cheer's Larry

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Reel line for sure. Great stuff. Holds up well and when it does begin to get a little beat up looking, just reverse it and you are good to go again.

Not sure about UK lines at all. I do know the Bass Pro Shops XPS Signature Series Fluorocarbon Fishing Line comes in 200yd spools in weights up to 17lb b/s and 175yd spools at higher b/s. Cost is from $15 to $17 per spool so if you ordered from here, you would wind up paying about that in .

Seaguar CarbonPro Fluorocarbon Fishing Line is also available in 200yd spools and a little less expensive at $13 but I have never used it so can't make a recommendation.

Berkley Vanish - I tried once and now avoid.

Newt Vail

Larry

Lazarus
thanks for info i'll see anyone over here does it larger spools the one's get at present are only 30metre spools at 7.00 a spool so the us version is a lot cheaper.

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.