Neville Park, Snodland - method magic

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve only fished the method feeder once and it was a half-hearted attempt that did catch but was frustrating so I trawled all the method threads on here for nuggets of fishing gold.

In work at 5am to hit a robot repeatedly with a big hammer but at the lake for 8:00 to find the swim I’d hoped for occupied by 2 lads & 5 or six rods hogging the top third of the lake. Never mind I set up in a huge bay, put up my feeder rod (Ron Thomson 12’ Panther feeder, 8lb mainline, Drennan 15g in-line method feeder, size 14 QM1 4” 6lb hooklength) and a float rod just in case.
F9745DA1-94F6-47AD-B698-ABEBC2D8ACEB.jpeg
Bait choice was Sonubaits Super Crush robin red method mix & 2mm Stiki Method pellets (half flavoured with banoffee Haze) with 8mm washed out Waft Ums for banding on the hook. I added a glug of Haze on the hook bait too as I filled the mould.
DC487B5A-3EB2-468D-9537-EAA0D362896F.jpeg
As it’s a natural and not a commie I adopted the “cast/wait 5 mins/recast” approach.

Found my feature to cast to - do an empty floating beer can and bottle count as a feature? - about half way across the lake and in went the rig. Hit my target first try, forgot to clip up, and as instructed by the maggotdrowners Jedi’s I checked my watch and sat on my hands. After what I thought was 10 mins I wound in to find feed still on the feeder, watch check showed 4 mins :rolleyes::oops:

Reload - cast to the same spot (who needs a clip) and after a few minutes the tip began to twitch - and stop - and twitch - and stop - and ...... fluffin chuff the tip whanged round and the drag went whizz.

Forgot about the drag as it had not previously had a workout but a trusty finger slowed the spool until I could wind it down a few notches. A spirited battle ensued up and down the lake, thought I had it beaten but stupidly let it get a glimpse of the reed bed to my right - turned it a fraction before it buried itself - and slipped my net under a stonking common. When I stopped shaking the scale said 8lb 10oz.

Ok - breathe, redo feeder, cast, wait, DO NOT REACT TO TAPS, whomp & rod jumps round. Hasty grab and big thumps on the end. No mad panic this time so a steady retrieve over the lip of the net for a double - 10lb 2oz !

Well it was 5 more casts for 5 more 9lb-10lb commons - the bites all coming around three to 4 mins in and mostly when I had a Chelsea bun in my hand.

Next came the first in a succession of much smaller carp tipping the scales between 1lb & 2lb including a coupe of tidy ghosties - guess the feed had begun to build up and bring in the little lads but bites were no less positive.

By now it was 11:00 ‘ish, all the other pegs had youngsters on them hurling chunks of bread on size 4 hooks with 8 foot rods & I needed to get home but had an audience of guys desperate to get on my peg.

Last cast and I over egged it - typical - landing about 5yds past my feed area. Styled it out (That’s where I wanted it lads) and left it there feeling I’d done well anyway but a last knock would be nice.

What I got was the sort of knock the police do at 2am raiding a drug den - the tip ripped around and off shot a lump. Felt the like the girl on the cereal advert hooking the sub as it charged about like a looney and me standing at the waters edge praying I didn’t lose it and look like a first class twerp. I let it do it’s thing and ease up the fight, right until it reached the shallows and heard the starters gun again.

Deep breaths, don’t rush the net, slide, scoop, cripes my handle is bending and onto the mat - hoorah - lots of guesses about weight until the scale read 13lb on the nose - utterly delighted to finish on that.

Sadly this cracking little puddle is set to be netted out in January (there's a thread about it) and turned into an “eco pond” with nowhere else available for me to fish locally - gutting.

Attachments

• 848DDBBD-6878-4AEA-982F-C03BED5F81E7.jpeg
    848DDBBD-6878-4AEA-982F-C03BED5F81E7.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 12
  • C9C8B404-7C8C-4696-8D61-09FEE2CB4381.jpeg
    C9C8B404-7C8C-4696-8D61-09FEE2CB4381.jpeg
    682.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 4DA35D70-420C-4193-88F7-8BE14A1C4E23.jpeg
    4DA35D70-420C-4193-88F7-8BE14A1C4E23.jpeg
    748.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0D09B155-F59F-4D41-91C9-1AEED2E61E42.jpeg
    0D09B155-F59F-4D41-91C9-1AEED2E61E42.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 11
  • 7C3B3708-FEDC-4738-8618-7F0FAF0BE762.jpeg
    7C3B3708-FEDC-4738-8618-7F0FAF0BE762.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 15

Silver fan 82

I’ve only fished the method feeder once and it was a half-hearted attempt that did catch but was frustrating so I trawled all the method threads on here for nuggets of fishing gold.

In work at 5am to hit a robot repeatedly with a big hammer but at the lake for 8:00 to find the swim I’d hoped for occupied by 2 lads & 5 or six rods hogging the top third of the lake. Never mind I set up in a huge bay, put up my feeder rod (Ron Thomson 12’ Panther feeder, 8lb mainline, Drennan 15g in-line method feeder, size 14 QM1 4” 6lb hooklength) and a float rod just in case.
View attachment 85495
Bait choice was Sonubaits Super Crush robin red method mix & 2mm Stiki Method pellets (half flavoured with banoffee Haze) with 8mm washed out Waft Ums for banding on the hook. I added a glug of Haze on the hook bait too as I filled the mould.
View attachment 85496
As it’s a natural and not a commie I adopted the “cast/wait 5 mins/recast” approach.

Found my feature to cast to - do an empty floating beer can and bottle count as a feature? - about half way across the lake and in went the rig. Hit my target first try, forgot to clip up, and as instructed by the maggotdrowners Jedi’s I checked my watch and sat on my hands. After what I thought was 10 mins I wound in to find feed still on the feeder, watch check showed 4 mins :rolleyes::oops:

Reload - cast to the same spot (who needs a clip) and after a few minutes the tip began to twitch - and stop - and twitch - and stop - and ...... fluffin chuff the tip whanged round and the drag went whizz.

Forgot about the drag as it had not previously had a workout but a trusty finger slowed the spool until I could wind it down a few notches. A spirited battle ensued up and down the lake, thought I had it beaten but stupidly let it get a glimpse of the reed bed to my right - turned it a fraction before it buried itself - and slipped my net under a stonking common. When I stopped shaking the scale said 8lb 10oz.

Ok - breathe, redo feeder, cast, wait, DO NOT REACT TO TAPS, whomp & rod jumps round. Hasty grab and big thumps on the end. No mad panic this time so a steady retrieve over the lip of the net for a double - 10lb 2oz !

Well it was 5 more casts for 5 more 9lb-10lb commons - the bites all coming around three to 4 mins in and mostly when I had a Chelsea bun in my hand.

Next came the first in a succession of much smaller carp tipping the scales between 1lb & 2lb including a coupe of tidy ghosties - guess the feed had begun to build up and bring in the little lads but bites were no less positive.

By now it was 11:00 ‘ish, all the other pegs had youngsters on them hurling chunks of bread on size 4 hooks with 8 foot rods & I needed to get home but had an audience of guys desperate to get on my peg.

Last cast and I over egged it - typical - landing about 5yds past my feed area. Styled it out (That’s where I wanted it lads) and left it there feeling I’d done well anyway but a last knock would be nice.

What I got was the sort of knock the police do at 2am raiding a drug den - the tip ripped around and off shot a lump. Felt the like the girl on the cereal advert hooking the sub as it charged about like a looney and me standing at the waters edge praying I didn’t lose it and look like a first class twerp. I let it do it’s thing and ease up the fight, right until it reached the shallows and heard the starters gun again.

Deep breaths, don’t rush the net, slide, scoop, cripes my handle is bending and onto the mat - hoorah - lots of guesses about weight until the scale read 13lb on the nose - utterly delighted to finish on that.

Sadly this cracking little puddle is set to be netted out in January (there's a thread about it) and turned into an “eco pond” with nowhere else available for me to fish locally - gutting.
Nice write up! The method feeder is my favourite way of fishing, I think its all about the bite, as you know lol! Shame about the pond being netted soon. What will happen to the stock? Make the most of it while you can!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

View attachment 85495
View attachment 85496

Great read ,what a nice fishing session, well done

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice write up! The method feeder is my favourite way of fishing, I think its all about the bite, as you know lol! Shame about the pond being netted soon. What will happen to the stock? Make the most of it while you can!

The stock will be transferred to the private lake on the other side of the main road belonging to Medway Valley Fisheries, a £600 a year specimen water called Brooklands.

Oh and I wonder who the local council consulted with & who recommended the netting - why that would be Medway Valley Fisheries :unsure:

Silver fan 82

The stock will be transferred to the private lake on the other side of the main road belonging to Medway Valley Fisheries, a £600 a year specimen water called Brooklands.

Oh and I wonder who the local council consulted with & who recommended the netting - why that would be Medway Valley Fisheries :unsure:
Apart from the litter etc it sounds like a nice little lake. Shame to see such places go.

Stewie74

Brilliant session, enjoyed reading about it. Shame about the impending closure.

As you know I've recently returned to fishing, the method is currently my only technique (planning to branch out into float and possibly pole next year)

I laughed when I read the bit about sitting on your hands until the tip goes round properly, I literally have to force myself to do this, generally hands in pockets until there's line steaming off the reel!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Brilliant session, enjoyed reading about it. Shame about the impending closure.

As you know I've recently returned to fishing, the method is currently my only technique (planning to branch out into float and possibly pole next year)

I laughed when I read the bit about sitting on your hands until the tip goes round properly, I literally have to force myself to do this, generally hands in pockets until there's line steaming off the reel!!

It really is hard isn’t it especially if you spend most of your time float fishing looking for the tiniest dink on its tip. I really like the mad bend and grab that comes with method feeder fishing :LOL:

Stewie74

It really is hard isn’t it especially if you spend most of your time float fishing looking for the tiniest dink on its tip. I really like the mad bend and grab that comes with method feeder fishing :LOL:
Agreed, there's no feeling quite like seeing your new rod and reel seemingly in mid-air as the fish takes off on its first run!!! Plus when you've managed to cast into exactly the spot you've targeted it's really frustrating when you have to wind in, re-bait and try to hit the same spot again!!

I totally understand now why I was advised not to fish two method feeder rods simultaneously, no way I could cope with both roda going off at the same time!!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Agreed, there's no feeling quite like seeing your new rod and reel seemingly in mid-air as the fish takes off on its first run!!! Plus when you've managed to cast into exactly the spot you've targeted it's really frustrating when you have to wind in, re-bait and try to hit the same spot again!!

I totally understand now why I was advised not to fish two method feeder rods simultaneously, no way I could cope with both roda going off at the same time!!!

I figured as long as I was fairly close each cast it was OK since I was laying down a bed of feed to draw the fish in & that’s why I didn’t clip up plus I was in the middle of a featureless lake rather than trying to hug an island or bank.

Seems to have worked quite well ;)

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
nice read and a great result. one thing to learn...that last (styled out :p (y)) cast beyond your feed bought you your biggest fish after a succession of smaller lads. Fishing off of your main feed is always a tactic to try and lure the more wary, wiser older fish.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
nice read and a great result. one thing to learn...that last (styled out :p (y)) cast beyond your feed bought you your biggest fish after a succession of smaller lads. Fishing off of your main feed is always a tactic to try and lure the more wary, wiser older fish.

Wasn‘t sure with the method feeder as I’d read the idea is to keep the feed area as small as possible to concentrate the fish. Certainly not against doing it again though if the smaller stuff moves in en masse.

Silver fan 82

Wasn‘t sure with the method feeder as I’d read the idea is to keep the feed area as small as possible to concentrate the fish. Certainly not against doing it again though if the smaller stuff moves in en masse.
IME mate during the warmer months you can spread the feed a bit but this time of year, as you say you want to concentrate it in one area a bit more. Anyway well done again mate!