Neville Park Lake - annoying the local teenagers

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Went into work at 5:00 this morning to re-fit a conveyor gearbox we’d repaired yesterday and managed to hit the lake around 8:00 for an hour or so.

Armed only with a landing net, 10’ DAM “Power Match” float rod, reel, little plastic box of bits & a few odds and ends of pellets I arrived to find 5 teenage lads on the 2 swims at the far end who’d obviously been there overnight dozing beside the standard array of a multitude of carp rods perched on alarms.

I set up on the opposite end noting carp (there are only carp in there) swirls within 10’ of all the banks and reed beds plus a lot of fish gently cruising beneath the surface .

Rather than loose feeding I slipped a Banoffee 8mm hookable expander onto a size 16 Kamasan Animal (using 6lb line) 3’ from a 3 No.4 Drennan stubby crystal waggler with no weight down the line. First cast landed about 3 rod lengths out, wound back a rod length and ten seconds later BOOM, float dives away and off tears a fish. Couple of minutes later and a 4lb common is on the mat.

In went a couple of pinches of Robin Red 2mm pellets on either side of my wide swim, recast to the middle and exactly the same thing happened with a slightly smaller mirror this time. Had. A rapid succession of little carp up to 1/2lb followed before swapping to a size 12 with a 10mm fluoro wafter banded on & this went over one of the 2mm pellet patches.

Really really really slow drift away of the float that I left alone thinking it might be a liner right until I lifted into it and it all went a bit nuts - cut to me fumbling around like a maniac screwing up the drag to slow it down so I was able to actually start playing it just before it reached the far side reed beds. By the time I’d got it to the net I had an audience, which never helps when landing fish I find, from the bivvies who stood there uttering an impressive and wide range of profanities when I placed the stonking common onto the mat.

More expletives followed when my little digital scale said 10lb 12oz, which minus my net is a 9lb 9oz fish :)

The lads were bitterly bemoaning the fact they’d been on site over 16 hours and only had 4 fish between them up to 6lb - I asked what bait they were using and it was 25mm boilies on bolt rigs. Aspersions were then cast regarding the marital status of my parents at my birth, my methods and how it was just dumb luck that I dropped on the fish so I pointed out three or four margin water swirls including one over where I’d popped in the other micro pellets indicating feeding fish, popped on a fresh wafter and cast to the edge of the pellet patch. I had a whopping bite within a minute resulting in a 5 pounder on the bank shortly thereafter.

As I tackled down the lads went back to their swims and I watched them hurling their rigs back out 35-40m into the featureless dead centre of the lake - reckon I could go back this evening and they will still not have caught me up.

Karl

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Nice touch mate, glad you had a few fish to show for the little time you had, and the way you showed those others up. :upthumb:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I just don’t get why all the youngsters on that lake are so 100% focussed on bait runners and alarms plus giant boilies when simple float tactics & a bit of water craft will get you loads of fish on the bank every time - ah well their loss is my gain

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just don’t get why all the youngsters on that lake are so 100% focussed on bait runners and alarms plus giant boilies when simple float tactics & a bit of water craft will get you loads of fish on the bank every time - ah well their loss is my gain
They'll just be naive or ignorant, got youth on their side though they may come good yet ??