Never thought I would say this.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Well,if some of you are so proud you haven't fished a commercial water recently, then I can boast that I have fished a 'natural' water only once in the past six or seven years. And I doubt if I ever will again unless toilets are provided.

Do I get points for this post? ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Commercials are god send to me from generally some time in the second half of march through April and generally a few days into may when the rivers are closed, the canals getting too boaty and bigger more natural stillwaters have yet to really warm up. But from those few days into may until the end of the river season it’s incredily rare I fish what most would consider a stereotypical commercial though or even a stillwater full stop once the rivers open. I‘d knock fishing stereotypical commercials on the head full stop if I was a good enough angler but reality is in that kind of spring period I’m not really good enough to do well consistently anywhere else thats available at that time of year.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fished the snake lake at Battle {can`t remember the name of the fishery} that was the last time I fished a commercial, 95 I think.
That'll have been Wylands at Powdermill Lane I would imagine Pomp. ;)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Out of curiosity I looked up the prices of some of the commercials here in Kent where I live. Crikey, if you fish regular like most
on here it will cost a fortune, thank dog for angling clubs.
That'll have been Wylands at Powdermill Lane I would imagine Pomp. ;)
Yes that`s the one(y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Shame you didn't fish 'Roses Lake'(Wylands) silver fishing at its very best....(y)
Can`t be arsed to drive far, have several club lakes within a few miles and the RM at Bilsington is bang on fifteen minutes.

Remember fishing Frant lakes the same year, would have enjoyed that but the wind was gale force and the rain horizontal.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Out of curiosity I looked up the prices of some of the commercials here in Kent where I live. Crikey, if you fish regular like most
on here it will cost a fortune, thank dog for angling clubs.
Is a good point commercial day tickets here are generally a couple quid more than more natural day ticket venues and and it only takes a couple to a handful of them to be the equivalent of clubs tickets depending on the club. Certainly couldn’t afford to fish them year round even if I wanted to.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Is a good point commercial day tickets here are a couple quid more than more natural day ticket venues and and it only takes a couple to a handful of them to be the equivalent of clubs tickets depending on the club. Certainly couldn’t afford to fish them year round even if I wanted to.
Looked up decoy lakes where our man Gozzer fishes, considering the facilities they provide along with parking close by I reckon in
this day and age it`s a good eight quids worth. One fishery near me charges twenty five pounds for 24 hours, ouch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looked up decoy lakes where our man Gozzer fishes, considering the facilities they provide along with parking close by I reckon in
this day and age it`s a good eight quids worth. One fishery near me charges twenty five pounds for 24 hours, ouch.
Oh yeah if you can park behind the peg, go in a nice clean bog, get bait, tackle and hot food onsite then I’ll happily pay double figures but begrudge doing so for some pond a farmers dug where there’s nothing more on site than any other sort of venue.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Yes the facilities are quite good at Decoy - a bar with snacks etc, coffee and tea, and you can do the draw and results undercover. There is a kitchen, but you would have to give noice if you wanted a full breakfast for your gang. Plus a bait and small items of tackle shop. Plus toilets and a shower. And big car park, of course. And 11 lakes. After matches at the weekend anglers go back and often stay and talk, and eat and drink, for hours after a match. The new owners are very welcoming and Karen, the manager, is really taking an interest in what anglers expect and need.

Basically there's all the basic facilities - but not as many as, say, Rookery Farm Fishery at Pidley, where there's a cafe catering for pre-match and early-morning breakfasts, and a superb tackle shop.

On the other hand at Kingsland there's just a wooden toilet.

But all of them have better facitities than the nearby Fen Drains. And I'm happy to pay whatever the cost is, knowing that if I was in trouble there's someone there to help; and my car is not likely to be vandalised.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Best facilities I’ve had is on the Severn at highley. Can park behind some pegs and from those it is a short walk to the pub for pees, poos, pints and provisions 😅