Never thought I would say this.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I really miss commercials! Where I am living the only place where I can park behind my peg is over an hour away. Most venues involve a long hike, fences to climb and rough (jungle like) terrain. The hike means I cannot carry my seat box, the fences and terrain means I can’t use a barrow, it’s travel light or stay at home. You cannot find a venue where you can ge a bank stick in…I’ve had to buy a rod pod ffs. Once the effort has been made it’s great fishing and you tend to be alone, there are still not many Irish coarse anglers, and this makes it worthwhile. I wouldn’t swap it but I must admit that the thought of driving to my peg, a comfortable, level platform and a cafe for breakfast and cups of fresh tea is very appealing. OK, 99% of bites will be carp but, so what, at least you have an enjoyable days fishing. So, before you jump on the commie bashing bandwagon, think of the words from Joni Mitchell, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
I really miss commercials! Where I am living the only place where I can park behind my peg is over an hour away. Most venues involve a long hike, fences to climb and rough (jungle like) terrain. The hike means I cannot carry my seat box, the fences and terrain means I can’t use a barrow, it’s travel light or stay at home. You cannot find a venue where you can ge a bank stick in…I’ve had to buy a rod pod ffs. Once the effort has been made it’s great fishing and you tend to be alone, there are still not many Irish coarse anglers, and this makes it worthwhile. I wouldn’t swap it but I must admit that the thought of driving to my peg, a comfortable, level platform and a cafe for breakfast and cups of fresh tea is very appealing. OK, 99% of bites will be carp but, so what, at least you have an enjoyable days fishing. So, before you jump on the commie bashing bandwagon, think of the words from Joni Mitchell, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.
Plus you get to fish the best 3 months of the year with no close season(y)

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I know what you mean. I often switch between commies and natural waters so as to keep a bit of variety and get the best use of my kit. Oddly, I miss the days of walking up rivers, climbing styles, and opening and closing gates behind me to get to those remote places where the fishing experience becomes so fulfilling! Commercials are relatively for me a new concept but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

The Shannon has to be my favourite river even after all these years with my folding stool/haversack and a couple of rods in a bag with bank sticks and a brolly (deffo need that in Ireland). I've till got some of the bank sticks I used in those days (they were expensive) but trying to get them into a gravel lough/lake shoreline was tough. I tend to carry far to much stuff around these days, because a barrow lets me do it, and some swims I can unload directly to from the car here in the South East
Unlike where you are, idyllic fishing venues (as you probably already know) are now few and far between here. The few left are dwindling fast particularly rivers, most of which access to is already strictly limited to the casual wanderer/stalker of likely holding spots for fish

Tight lines wherever you are/go

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It was always one of my gripes with fishing in Ireland. We weren't too bad with parking & walks to the peg but the banks were nearly always rocky. I remember building little cairns from the stones to wedge a bank stick in. Trying to level my Shakey box with rocks etc. No adjustable legs or box attachments in those days!!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Dave, how many stiles do you have to negotiate on these waters? On a fair few venues I have to unload/reload twice on a journey (as well as the start and finish).
Assume you have a platform barrow or an oil-rig style seatbox, so you can get properly comfy at the destination?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Put your glasses on fella and recheck! :rolleyes::cool:
Your right, visited Suffolk Water park since then, also fished Melton, Bromswell and Onehouse as well as Hintlesham.
Can’t remember which order or when apart from Hintlesham.
Gave up match fishing and planned to visit a different commercial once a month when club waters had a match on.
Then joined another club so had a few more places to explore and have not been back to a commercial, they don’t suit my early morning or evening short session fishing. Also found them quite regimental!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
According to my records I last fished a commercial on 4th April 2014 😳
I know that I've only fished two this century.
Lindholme Lakes on an AT winter league semi.
and Arden Lakes a couple of weeks later to use up the pellets!
Probably around the same time (2014)

alsur

Site Supporter
Not fished a commercial since 2019 haven't miss it, my club has some venues you can drive very close to some of the pegs and most of lakes involve short flat walks, only one fishes as good as a commercial but some are quiet and I catch enough to keep me interested. That's not so say I won't fish commercials again as they do make a pleasant change and they aren't all unattractive holes in the ground.

Total

Site Supporter
Your right, visited Suffolk Water park since then, also fished Melton, Bromswell and Onehouse as well as Hintlesham.
Can’t remember which order or when apart from Hintlesham.
Gave up match fishing and planned to visit a different commercial once a month when club waters had a match on.
Then joined another club so had a few more places to explore and have not been back to a commercial, they don’t suit my early morning or evening short session fishing. Also found them quite regimental!
You need a new set of records to check your old set of records!;):p:ROFLMAO:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
You need a new set of records to check your old set of records!;):p:ROFLMAO:
I feel like a stuck record, going round and rou, going round and rou, going round and rou, going round and rou, zzzzzzzzztttttttt- that put a stop to that nonsense, time for some tea 🫖 ☕

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get a spade and start to dig one of your own, you never know it might catch on ;)

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
I know that I've only fished two this century.
Lindholme Lakes on an AT winter league semi.
and Arden Lakes a couple of weeks later to use up the pellets!
Probably around the same time (2014)
That's equivalent to self harming to me :D

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
All you have to do is get two buckets of clay and bring them with you. Put one near the top of the rod and one near the handle, stick your bank sticks in and away you go. An Irish solution to an Irish problem. lol

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
All you have to do is get two buckets of clay and bring them with you. Put one near the top of the rod and one near the handle, stick your bank sticks in and away you go. An Irish solution to an Irish problem. lol
Plus, you can turn one of the buckets upside down and use it as a seat🤣🤣🤣😜😜😜😚😚

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Also if you get fed up you can have a water fight with the bloke in the next swim {I should get paid for this}.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Fished the snake lake at Battle {can`t remember the name of the fishery} that was the last time I fished a commercial, 95 I think.