Never rush setting up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

markharding

went to a local at the weekend and got there nice and early to get the peg i wanted to try. in a rush to get some line wet i set up box etc and connected the pole up and started to plum up. found a shelf near an island i thought would be right to drop a few offerings etc and started to map out where it ended etc and in a rush like i was managed to snag a branch on an overhanging tree. start moving pole about and elastic is just stretching so only option ship back and hope something gives.... well it did and it was joints on 3 and 4!!!

half way shipping back i then see my top 2 like a box and arrowing shooting towards a tree to which it proceeds to hang there just dangling in the water[:H]

but with a quick use of pole cupping kit, a seymo rod rest and some 8lb line used to lash the rod rest to the cupping kit we now have a 13m long hook [^]

managed to hook it round and pull like a demon and it came free, result!!!!

so lesson learnt no matter how much of a rush you are in always check that your pole joints are pushed on propper [:I]

Serious Sam

Seriously Serious
It's rushing to pack up that's done me in the past, 3 topkits and a number 4 stepped or sat on so far [:(]

Mantra now at the end of every match is "pack up the pole first, pack up the pole first . . . ."

Jack Smart

Numpty Slayer
lol,its when i getsetting up for me
on sunday i was setting up for a match i was going to try the new method mix from sonubaits so i was threading my line through and flat straight through feeder and then
"PLOP" dammmmm !! staight into the water and 2 mins later match started so i stuck with the pole.

markharding

i've dropped all sorts in while sorting stuff out, usually plummets and feeders lol. luckly thou so far nothing expensive apart from my top kit which i got back :D

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I drop so many things in the edge that I now have a magnet on a length of elastic.
Works fine and I've found other peoples odds & sods as well.
No rods and reels yet but you never know. [:W]

Morse

I get loads of stick from people I go fishing with about the amount of time it takes for me to set up and even more for the time it takes me to pack away. But my kits always in good nick and in it's proper place and I really can't recall the last time I lost anything. I'm also the same when actualy fishing, try not to rush and keep everything smooth and simple.

flukebox

haha these things are sent to try us!

anglers are by far some of the most ingenious people i know, they have to be cos they also so daft at times!

on a similar note, when i went out on the 15th for a midnight chuck in i was in such a rush to leave i forgot my tackle box and bait but thankfully had my rig wallet lol

found a bullet ledger weight trodden into the mud by my feet and dug up some worms, 8lb barbel at ten past midnight, magic! :D

classic, thanks for sharing!

greentura

Greenie
too much in a rush to get a bait in the water firs day out on the river season in 2004, using a newly acquired abu suveran s4000m on a silstar diaflex spliced tip 13'. forgot to tighten the twist lock reel rings (later replaced with a fuji reel seat as they werre cr4p) and it slipped off second cast out in to 6' of water with the bail arm open [:0]

lucky i had shorts on and jumped in after it, retrieved and dried it out, finished the day with a dozen or so roach and a couple of good chub, spent the evening stripping down the reel and servicing it[;)]

might have been my most expensive reel back then but probably would have jumped in for one of my Mitchell 300's so i could keep fishing [:T]

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by greentura

too much in a rush to get a bait in the water firs day out on the river season in 2004, using a newly acquired abu suveran s4000m on a silstar diaflex spliced tip 13'. forgot to tighten the twist lock reel rings (later replaced with a fuji reel seat as they werre cr4p) and it slipped off second cast out in to 6' of water with the bail arm open [:0]

lucky i had shorts on and jumped in after it, retrieved and dried it out, finished the day with a dozen or so roach and a couple of good chub, spent the evening stripping down the reel and servicing it[;)]

might have been my most expensive reel back then but probably would have jumped in for one of my Mitchell 300's so i could keep fishing [:T]

Reminds me of an incident that occured years ago when I wor just a lad and Mum and Dad had bought me a new reel for Christmas.

It was a Youngs "Trudex" centre-pin, a state-of-the-art trotting reel back in the sixties and it probably cost them more than a new bike would have done.

Sitting there under the Xmas tree giving it a spin was fun, but I just had to give it a proper go, didn't I?

So, being young and a complete crawler, I finally got my Dad to take me to an unfrozen backwater of the river Thames near Hampton Court the day after Boxing Day.

After settling me into a safe swim above the flood-water level and producing a pint of maggots from nowhere, Dad buggered off back to the car to sleep off his hang-over and left me to it.

Well, I don't remember exactly what I caught, maybe a few Dace and the odd Chublet, but I do remember packing up.

Bear in mind it's a freezing-cold December afternoon, (no thermal gloves in those days!) and my fingers were frozen stiff.

When it came to taking the reel off the rod, the fittings slipped and I watched in slow-motion horror as my new reel rolled down the bank like a crumpet on edge and disappeared into the chilly depths of the river.

I sit there, numb-stuck in the closing darkness, and then Dad appears on the scene.

"Had any luck, Son? Time to pack up, it's getting dark".

Somehow I plucked up the courage to tell him the sad stoy.

He looked at me, looked at the cold river, sighed, stripped down to his underpants and went wading, barefoot.

It was the first time (and I hope the last) that I ever saw a man's legs actually turn blue from the cold, but he found my reel twenty feet downstream.

We didn't talk much after he climbed out but I do remember sitting there in the car with the heater full on and all he said was:

"Don't do that again".

Just as a postscript, I took Dad out for a day's fishing on my local lakes last year and he caught the biggest fish of his life, a stockie Carp of eight-and-a-half pounds, nothing special these days, but when I told him he caught it on the same reel he fished out of the river all those years ago, it brought a special smile to his face. [;)]

shadow12345

Dads... the reel retival system.

I myself have been shoulder deep in early Feb this year thanks to my son dropping a Shimano baitrunner 8000 into a small match lake.

*I like the postscript, I wonder if his 8000 will be alive a kicking in 30 years for me to catch on. I doubt it :)

Genus9

Rushing around cost Me a fair few quid, [:(]

Whilst setting up in a hurry for the Faye Charity match at Monks on an extremly windy day I had a nightmare,

I got 5 top2's out and put rigs on them and put them on the support, got the pole sections out and leaned them against My bait tray, set up My rods and put them by the side of the bank,

A huge gust of wind decided to lift My number 5 section off the ground and launch it into the lake which was around 10' deep, [:0]

So in a strop I laid the rest of the sections by the side of the fence to My right, another gust blew My rod bag over and landed on My number 4 section breaking that, [:0]

So that left Me the wag or the tip to fish on what I'd been told was "barbel city" close in on the pole,

Half way through the match I glanced at My top kits and thought to Myself "I'm sure I set up 5 top kits but on My roost were only 4, [:0]

So one of them had gone in, [:(]

So the lesson learned on that Day, take Your time, [:)][;)]

Last edited:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
That's a lovely story, Len Wade!

When you're really in the cack, dads can be brilliant, can't they?
[:)]

greentura

Greenie
at leas i had reasonably warm water to get in, brrrrrr[;)]

wondered what all the commotion was down at monks genius, that bl**dy wind was evil, hope the next one's better[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.