Never fished a pole before.

Gary.J

Ok I’ve never fished a pole or whip and said that type of fishing never appealed to me, but My interest Raised a few weeks ago, I was fishing a feeder and although I caught a few fishing was slow. A guy next to me pulled out a pole and used a few sections and fished at five metres and pulled in fish after fish, I was impressed. I then fished another pool two weeks ago, fishing started off slow my son pulled out a whip, which he had bought His daughters and had great fun pulling out various silvers and a few bream, so I thought I fancied having a go at that. So I’ve decided to buy a margin pole and have read lots of articles including Niels guide to pole fishing (he uses a maver Abyss I think) I have watched you tube videos etc.
I have seen the maver reality 9.5 metre which I thought was heavy, local tackle store recommended a middy ctx thriller V3 6metre, they also come at 8.5metres, lots of people recommended the Preston edge monster which I am leaning towards. My question is how important is the weight of a margin pole I.e the maver reality at 9.5 metres is over 900 grams whilst the edge monster is is under 500. What length should I aim for, will I get more use out of a longer one as I can always take sections off? The waters I fish are full of fish ranging from silvers to double figure carp, so I need a margin pole that can handle that range.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Out of the ones you've mentioned, the Edge Monster at 474g is the best bet. 900 grams is heavy for a 9.5m pole. Edge Monster topkits are only £40 so cheap to replace or buy extra if you want to. Comes with all the bushes fitted etc. and roller pullers so it's good value. Unless you want to fish across to far banks of snake lakes, that length will be fine.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It certainly gives you another option if there's a feature to fish to such as lilies, or the fish are simply feeding a bit further out. The edge monster seems to get good reviews & the package is pretty good value for money.

Gary.J

Also what elastic size is advised On each top kit? At My local pool last week I caught a few skimmers then a 12 and 13lb carp on corn, Lots of fisheries are like this.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
That's an ongoing question. I'm finding the new Preston Duraslips pretty good. Size 11 for F1's & tench but soft enough not to bump off smaller fish, 13 for carp, 15 for bigger carp & snaggy pegs. Others recommend Matrix Slik is similar sizes....everyone has their own preference & there's no definitive answer.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Gary, my margin pole is an 8.5m edge monster and I love it. I also have a 16m Sensas pole which, to be honest, gets more use at the minute. I have the red Duraslip elastic in the edge monster (#15 I think) as I won’t be fishing it in conjunction with finicky baits for small fish.

When I first bought the EM I had one very heavy elastic and one medium, but if you’re looking to keep it simple I’d recommend putting white Duraslip in both (#13) as it’ll easily handle carp to double figures but be soft enough to catch decent silvers without bumping.

Happy to answer any more specific Q’s if you like mate 👍🏻

Al

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Also what elastic size is advised On each top kit? At My local pool last week I caught a few skimmers then a 12 and 13lb carp on corn, Lots of fisheries are like this.

I should add that when I first got into pole fishing I assumed big, heavy elastic equals taming bigger fish, but it’s not always so straightforward. I lost a lot of fish on heavy elastic because when they feel the extra tension they go bananas! Took me a while to be brave enough to step down the elastic, but have landed WAY more fish that way 🤣

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the Edge Master too and would definitely advise getting the 10m version.
I got the 8.5m pole a couple of years ago (when that was all that was available) and then shelled out extra for the extension to 10m.
You might not need it very often but it's always nice to have just in case.

I have 16 solid in one top kit and 14-16 Nufish Zipp in the other - the latter is much softer than the number might suggest. Zipp Hybrid Elastic

The 16 solid is for a couple of pegs on one venue I fish a fair bit where in order to get bites you've got to fish close to the marginal reeds and if a hooked fish gets back in them you won't extricate them so the solid elastic is the only way to prevent that happening.

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the pole weight sub 10m. If you fish a 900g pole at 9.5m it feels a whole lot lighter than a 900g pole at 13m as there is a lot less leverage. I’ve got a 900g 13m pole and an 800g 8m pole and they are chalk and cheese. The margin pole feels really light in comparison to the 13m.

The Maver reality is a lovely pole to use, my grandson is 11 and he fishes one fine. The Edge Monster is a much better pole but it’s also a lot more money.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the pole weight sub 10m. If you fish a 900g pole at 9.5m it feels a whole lot lighter than a 900g pole at 13m as there is a lot less leverage. I’ve got a 900g 13m pole and an 800g 8m pole and they are chalk and cheese. The margin pole feels really light in comparison to the 13m.

The Maver reality is a lovely pole to use, my grandson is 11 and he fishes one fine. The Edge Monster is a much better pole but it’s also a lot more money.
I was was just going to say the same. At 8-10 meters you won’t know your holding it. It will feel lighter than a rod and reel.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Whatever you buy, you'll wish it was longer. I'd say 13m and 3 top kits is the minimum, even for starting out.
Not sure I agree fully with that. I had a 16m pole and never fished it above 13m (I struggled to manage it beyond that). Since I bought an 8m margin pole, which I really like, I fish with that pretty much all of the time, down the margin or just over the ledge at 5m. I think you always tend to convince yourself the fish are all there just out of reach but I don’t think it’s true in reality. I suppose if you fish a snake lake where the fish tend to be on the far bank you will need a pole to reach there but I think in general there are plenty of productive lines closer in.

If I was going to buy a pole just to try and see if I liked it and I had a choice of a Maver Reality for £70, an Edge Monster for £180, a 13m pole for £600 or a 16m pole for £1200 I’d go for the Maver. They are perfect for anyone wanting to give it a go and if you then wanted to trade it in for a long pole you’d probably get about £45 of your 70 back! At least you are not going to lose out significantly, whatever you do in the long term.

Gary.J

Thanks for all your help guys! After much deliberating I went for the 10metre Edge monster. Had a good price from Reel fishing.co.uk. Just put it together in the garden, it scared me to death it’s so long 😆 think the 8 m would have done, but as said the longer pole will give me more options and hopefully I won’t need to upgrade for some time. I hope to elasticate it tonight. Need to buy some rigs next, any recommendations?

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Hi Gary, good choice on your first pole. You’ll be surprised how quickly you get used to the length (I remember feeling similar actually).

The pre-tied Drennan rigs are a decent starting place. But I recommend making your own up eventually. Might be worth popping into your local tackle shop if you have one as they’ll more likely know the venues and be able to advise on what would work best.

In any case, get yourself strapped in and ready for a steep learning curve 🤪

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for all your help guys! After much deliberating I went for the 10metre Edge monster. Had a good price from Reel fishing.co.uk. Just put it together in the garden, it scared me to death it’s so long 😆 think the 8 m would have done, but as said the longer pole will give me more options and hopefully I won’t need to upgrade for some time. I hope to elasticate it tonight. Need to buy some rigs next, any recommendations?
Enjoy.......:)(y)