Never count yourself out!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Lynnsport 97'. Fished my third match here at the local pond today, My first two results were a 5th and a 2nd. Today was a charity event which honours cancer research and all proceeds go to said charity. As expected / usual I managed to pull a peg which I really do not like, Alas I walked to the peg confident that I could pull in some bream with ground bait and dead reds to fill the net. I had a reedy margin either side of me, Open water in front with a small set of lillypads also to the right. Decided to set up three lines, My main at the Lillypads, One more centred and another dead line on the left side margin.

Started off with 3 balls of GB at the Lillypads feeding dead reds over top along with dead reds on the hook, I started off really well and I had about a pounds worth of Perch within half hour, Nobody else was catching anything other than the chap across from me who I was constantly battling with. He was getting the bigger fish but I was getting the quantity, I wasn't worried about this though as I was expecting a bus full of bream to show up any minute in my swim.

Fast forward another hour and the bus full of bream havent shown up to my swim, And the Perch are really dropping off too. I thought at that time I had maybe 2lbs of fish when everything just went completely dead. The fella next to me hasn't had a single fish at this point, But the guy across is still catching and is catching good, He's way ahead of me at this point. I'm still feeding maggots on those lillypads but I'm getting a fish every 10 minutes at this point, And they're small. I'm starting to worry about overfeeding that particular line though. I'm still feeding my margin line at this point. 2-3 pellets every mainline chuck and on occasion some 9mms

Another hour passes and I've completely stopped catching at the Lillypads, I've also stopped feeding completely because I'm worried about the big ball of bait in my swim at this point, instead I just decide to slap the water with the tip of my pole because Youtube told me to, This probably did absolutely nothing but I was desperate.. And I needed some maggots left over for Saturdays session lol. Soon after I actually just decide to abandon that line completely because it just seems like a waste of time, I now move onto my second line in the middle, Couple balls of groundbait, some maggot, some pellet. Spend half an hour on that line and I get rewarded nothing at all. Not a bite. Chap across is still catching plenty of silvers, and some nice Roach and Skimmers too. At this point I know I'm in serious trouble as the guy next to me also just landed a good bream.

As always, I'm feeing minimum amounts of bait on my last line; The Margin line. A lady across from me decides to also pack in so I give her a hand getting her stuff to the car, Before I leave I feed my margin line once more of course. I come back and theres about an hour left on the match, And I've told myself that I'll spend the entirety of it on that margin. After about 15 minutes I get a decent bite, I strike up and knew immediately I'd either hooked a clump of weed or a good fish, After a delay that seemed like it lasted 10 seconds it starts moving. I knew immediately it was a good fish, And boy am I glad that I opted for my 15 hollow elastic top kit. After about 2-3 minutes of carefully fighting this fish I managed to land it, a beautiful common carp weighing in at 7 pounds and 10 oz.

So I'm pretty stoked at this point and I knew I had a serious chance at winning so I quickly yoinked my shallow rig out of my box, Throw it on my double 6 elastic top kit and try to cheese the hell out of these small roach that are on top, My efforts are pretty fruitless but I managed to bag about half a pound worth of silvers in the last 45 minutes. The fella across from me also seemed to have dropped off in the last hour and packed up with 15 minutes left.

Results; Terrible day for most.

The guy across from me got 8lb, One Person got 5lb, Another got 2.8Ib (One Bream next door) and nobody else achieved over 2lbs of fish. I weigh in and I have a measly net of between 2.50-3lb in Perch with the odd roach thrown in, But with the carp managed to smash first place with over 10lb. I like to think it wasn't a fluke, And I like to think that there was nothing more I could have done that day to do any better but I'll take the result, And the win regardless.

Overall a frustrating days fishing which turn't into a win on what I believe to me one of the worst pegs in the pond. Not only that but it's always nice catching a carp on this particular lake because theres a serious lack of them in there. A good cause too.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 15

Dusty

Did you not consider continue fishing the margins after the carp? In the last hour of a match you can catch loads from the margin.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Did you not consider continue fishing the margins after the carp? In the last hour of a match you can catch loads from the margin.

It's guesstimated that theres between 15-25 carp in the pond only, I'd personally go with the lower end of that estimate also. It's more so a pond that consists of Skimmers, bream, roach, perch, tench and so on, while it's not impossible to hook into another carp I would say that it's very unlikely considering how spooked they get. The carp in there are incredibly hard to catch, And they generally sit down the other side of the pond in several feet or lillypads then another several feet of reeds. It's all natural and doesn't get fished very often at all, In the past 2 or so months I believe I'm the only one to have actually landed carp other than one guy who managed to hook into a 5lb mirror a few weeks past.

Now I look back on it, Considering the amount of fish I caught in that last 45 minutes shallow it could have paid off to just stick in the margins, even in hopes of hooking into a tench or something even but theres also that chance I could have just blanked as I did on the shallow rig.

My thinking was; I have 8lb in the bag + another 2ish in the net, The fella over from me has been catching all day and has had some decent fish, I don't know how much he has but estimated I needed a few more pounds to confirm the win, He's no longer catching and a lot of fish were topping so I thought the best option was to keep pulling in smaller fish to bolster my weights, I was expecting another 2lb atleast in honesty due to the amount of fish on top but It didn't really pan out at all.. ha.

Dusty

It's guesstimated that theres between 15-25 carp in the pond only, I'd personally go with the lower end of that estimate also. It's more so a pond that consists of Skimmers, bream, roach, perch, tench and so on, while it's not impossible to hook into another carp I would say that it's very unlikely considering how spooked they get. The carp in there are incredibly hard to catch, And they generally sit down the other side of the pond in several feet or lillypads then another several feet of reeds. It's all natural and doesn't get fished very often at all, In the past 2 or so months I believe I'm the only one to have actually landed carp other than one guy who managed to hook into a 5lb mirror a few weeks past.

Now I look back on it, Considering the amount of fish I caught in that last 45 minutes shallow it could have paid off to just stick in the margins, even in hopes of hooking into a tench or something even but theres also that chance I could have just blanked as I did on the shallow rig.

My thinking was; I have 8lb in the bag + another 2ish in the net, The fella over from me has been catching all day and has had some decent fish, I don't know how much he has but estimated I needed a few more pounds to confirm the win, He's no longer catching and a lot of fish were topping so I thought the best option was to keep pulling in smaller fish to bolster my weights, I was expecting another 2lb atleast in honesty due to the amount of fish on top but It didn't really pan out at all.. ha.

Good thinking really ?