Need some tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevep

Hello all,

I am restarting fishing after a long break. I am fishing a smallish lake of about 5ft depth, it has carp (up to 25lb, but more commonly in the 2/5lb bracket, tench and roach in it). I am going on friday and would like some tips, it is meant to be a bit chilly on friday and cloudy. Can anyone give me some ideas???

Thanks

Steve

headbang.gif

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you only after the carp or any species.

Maggots, I prefer red, sweet corn or luncheon meat won't go far wrong.

It all depends on the bans etc. If you are allowed hemp and trout pellets I would add some to a mix of Sensas Lake and brown crumb.

Personally I would ball in a couple of tangerine size balls of groundbait in the margins and the same at about 9 metres. Then loose feed 5 - 10 maggots and start with maggot on the hook. Just to catch something. Loose feed 4 or 5 grains of sweetcorn in the margins and alternate between the two lines.

Chopped worm wouldn't go amiss either.

On the water I usually fish that normally works, and I also have a lot of succes with caster, but then they all lakes are different.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Edited by - Geoff P on 10 April 2002 4:44:12 PM

Stevep

Thanks very much Geoff, i am not too fussed as to what i catch just as long as i have a good day, i'll let you all know how i got on on Monday.

Steve

headbang.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi stevep
i dont lnow if itll help but ive got a queery sim to yours look under catfood on this sect of forum it might give you an idea or two
good luck on friday

tight lines.
martin.

If it was me id try sweetcorn or meat on bottom or u could even ledger a boilie over a bag of boilies. U never know what ya might catch m8.

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Firstly - Hi Steve and welcome to the forums

I'm with Geoff on this one - maggots and sweetcorn. Both will provide you with bites even more so the maggots and bites can mean fish.

I'd be inclined to go for the smaller ones initially because there's no better way of regaining the thrill of fishing than catching the first fish.
You did'nt say what tackle you have but a float rod, fixed spool reel and some line around the 5lb breaking strain should see you through.
Try 'laying on' with a float initially over a bed of loose feed. Laying on is a method of fishing where you have the float to hook set slightly overdepth, typically 6inches. Within five inches of your hook put a number six shot, the rest bunch around your float, with the exception of 2 (in 5ft of water) size 6's spread equal spaced down your line.
Hooksize, either a 16 or 14 which will allow you to use a bunch of maggots or a single grain of corn without having to keep changing hooks.

Get yourself a plummet if you haven't already and check your depths before fishing, again a 1/4oz one will be ample. Look for flat areas on the bottom preferably where the sun will have been shining on over the last few days.
Once you've located some throw a good couple of handfulls of maggots and a small one of corn into the area, cast over it and wait.
Don't be inclined to throw more in initially but wait until you've had a bite or a touch that will indicate that the fish are there.
Once that happens, feed a little bait at each cast. If the bites stop, stop the feed, if the bites keep on then feed. I know it's a bit open ended but without being there it is hard to say exactly how much and when but it's a good guide.
By now you should have a fish, hopefully

If not, try another part of your swim, same tactics but this time don't forget about you previous baited area. Every now and again, cast back into it and see if there is a response, also inbetween, about once an 1/2 hour throw a small amount of bait into it.

Finally, we expect to see your report on Friday pm or Saturday, good luck, Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,

My thoughts exactly but expressed so much better. So that is what an approved education does for you.
thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Stevep

Thank you very much Dave, i had thought of something along those lines but no the laying on bit but i will certainly try it out now. I will try to get my report on Fri or Sat but if not defo on Mon.
I promise.

headbang.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.