Need help refitting door handles

Philocalist

Long story short, needed to remove handles from about a dozen internal doors to fit new mortice latches - want / need to keep original handles as a/ I like them, b/ they are solid brass, and bloody expensive to replace in those numbers with anything similar.
Problem is, putting the original handles back on, the (short) screws go back into the same holes in the door, naturally, and I'm finding that most dont have much grip, as a consequence.
Can't use heavier or longer screws, as they either will not fit through the holes in the handles, or there is not enough thickness of wood in the door to make a difference, and obviously can't relocate the handles, even slightly, to allow the screws to go back into 'new' wood.
I'm certain others will have come across a problem like thgis - what's the workaround? - some sort of filler in the original screw holes, or is there a better 'fix'?
Thanks (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Philocalist

I used matchsticks to fill the holes. Put 2 or 3 matchsticks into the hole, snap them level with the door. The screws should go in as though it's new wood.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
If the matchsticks don't work try filling holes with araldite, or the long winded way is to drill out existing holes and glue in dowels.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get some Mitre Mate, squeeze a drop of glue into the holes left by the screws and then spray the activator on the glue.
This will firm up the holes and give you a decent grip.
If the holes are too large, put some glue on a match stick and push that into the hole then spray the activator.