need help guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

newboyjohnny

hey all, i work for a charity and there is a chap there who seems to empty the printer of ink and paper evrytime he runs the shift. i'm thinking of putting cctv up to make the premiss more secure - but would it also be wrong to use this to catch him using the printer for personal use? this is also the 3rd printer we are on (he has broken the other 2) theres no point on talking to the managger as he's an idiot who doesnt do squat whan asked.... i'm sick of spending so much money on this bloke and with all the budget cuts coming to my area i need to stop wasting money.... this printer is in a locked office and i have provided him with a black and white brother printer on the main pc which is open to all staff and volenteers for work. i cannot foresee any reason for him to use or even touch this computer but yet he still empties it.......
does anyone know of any software thhat is good (and possibly free) which logs all prints/copies/files names and date and time??
i'm thinking of just unplugging the whole lots but i know when he's next in he'll just plug it together again (well try as this is how he broke the first one)

oh and the i.t. deparment need a monkey as that'll prob do a better job than them

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you are using File and Printer sharing, (there is difference between Windows Vista and Windows XP). You can use following steps respectively.

1. Windows XP. There are no passwords or access restrictions by default. This is because the Simple File Sharing is enabled. By disabling Simple File Sharing, you can specify an Access Control List for shared folder and printer to password protect them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

Then click on the Security tab within the share folder's Properties window, and add user permissions.

2. Windows Vista. To enable password protected sharing, do the following:

*. In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to Password protected sharing.

*. Within the Password protected sharing settings, click Turn on password protected sharing, and then click Apply.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another way, or more a way to cover yourself and the business, is to issue a general letter to all employees regarding the misuse of company equipment and regarding personal use.
Stress that any employee found to be using company equipment for personal use will be subjected to the company's disciplinary procedures which ultimately could lead to their dismissal.

...and don't forget to always end it with a smile [:)]

newboyjohnny

i know dave i wanna do that but the manager who is based at a different site, just goes i'll do something its my job i'm the manager. i go to him problems all the time and nothing gets done i've got grey hairs from it all and i'm only 23!!!! all the print is in his contract and when i started volenteering it was given to me. i just want to take something to the committe (who all suck the balls of the manager) who will then realsie that what they get told is not what is going on... i just want results and everywhere i have worked the manager has been an idiot...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a feeling you might be on a hiding to nothing in that circumstance.
For one, if he's your manager then most organisations won't support you over him, likewise you'll probably just be looked upon as a young trouble maker if you try to highlight his failings.

It might be best to highlight your concerns/ideas to him via email and within them give a solution to the problem.
This would work several ways, for one it will leave a paper trail that you could use should you need to ie if you are called up regarding your costings/expenditure.
Likewise it would also highlight the problems to your manager, and give him the solutions.

Like most managers if he thinks they're good ideas he'll most likely put them into practice and claim the credit, but that's not too bad a thing if you acheive what you want also if he realises your worth to him.

There's an old saying of mine and that is when faced with a problem liken it to being in the middle of a bowl - all around you there are problems and you don't know which way to turn for the best solutions.
Step out onto the edge of the bowl and then you'll find yourself looking down on the problems and the chances are you'l have a clearer picture and be able to resolve them easier [;)]

Col7777

You could take the paper out before he comes on shift and hide it, if he steals the paper as you say then he'll have to bring it back to use the printer.

newboyjohnny

i know what you mean dave, completely and utterly!!! about 9 of the 12 members of staff have the same gripe with the manager in one way or another but its because the manager is a goof talker and thats how he still has his job, he talks and talks and talks but does nothing.... i'm not trying to highlight his faults just the problems i have with this one member of staff (who incidently has broken around 3500 worth of damage to our stock in the past 12 months) but the boss is like best friends with him and just pays for all of his mistakes!
my main problem is if i'm on shift and i need to make a desicion i have to phone him; as he wants to be the big boss but who incidently never makes a desicion based on fact, and he's always "working from home" to which i dont have a number and his mobile is off.....
.... for example i'm going to a meeting tommorrow with him but he has decided to go on holiday and i'm also supose to cover a shift at work so now i have to be in 2 places at once and he's buggered off. i only found out that his holiday was today yesterday....

how can a manager do this when he's gettin paid 35k i'm on alittle over 2k a year (as most of the hours are volentry and yet in manchester a person who does the same as me gets 33k pro rata

newboyjohnny

Originally posted by Col7777

You could take the paper out before he comes on shift and hide it, if he steals the paper as you say then he'll have to bring it back to use the printer.

i have tried this dude he just goes out and buys more paper on expenses

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
how can a manager do this when he's gettin paid 35k i'm on alittle over 2k a year (as most of the hours are volentry and yet in manchester a person who does the same as me gets 33k pro rata

I think you've just answered your own question here.
If he is as inefficient as you say then the chances are he doesn't recognise you or your worth and only sees you as a volunteer and as such not a 'proper' employee, ie one of his team of merry men.

Personally at 23 years old and with this sort of hassle for meagre wages I'd look else where.
Even McD's pays better than this and with less hassle [:D]

newboyjohnny

i know but i work with loads of old people who say they love seeing me (Cause i chat to em all) and i feel if i leave they wont get that interaction and pleasure of getting out of the house and to be honest i really love getting out and seeing these people myself

Philocalist

Sounds as though he's obviously up to something personal to be using up paper etc like that ...

Applying a bit of lateral thinking here, if most of what is happening is when he is there in your absence .....
What are the chances he could be up to something else 'inappropriate' too ... all sorts of evidence to be found on PC's even when someone 'thinks' they've covered their tracks, and it can be quite an eye-opener to discover where people browse when no-one is there to interrupt![:D]
And THAT sort of misuse of works PC's cannot be defended or ignored by any manager, regardless of how matey they are with someone.

The way my mind works concerns me sometimes, though thankfully, not very often [:T][:D]

newboyjohnny

i think i'll just put a cctv camera in there lol after all this. i'll try and limit the use of the printer but no doubt an i.t. guy will just undo it....

antihero

Papercut: http://www.papercut.com/products/free_software/print_logger/

or plug one of these: http://www.gadgets.co.uk/item/USBKEYLOG/USB-Keyboard-Keylogger.html into his pc before he goes on shift....deffo catch him bang to rights :)

Status
Not open for further replies.