Need help/advice on approach and method

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykel

Evening all!

I am going to fish a large (20 acres at least) wild lake on Friday which is seldom fished and need advice. The water is gin clear depths range from 4' to 20' and the lake has many Tench to double figured, perch to 3lb+, Roach to 2lb+ along with carp and pike in the high 20's. Thing is i'm struggling to come with the right approach. I have picked my peg and planning on baiting it on Wednesday and Thursday evenings with Corn, Hemp and Caster and will be taking these baits with me along with red maggots on Friday.

Any ideas on methods? The water is around 14' deep 7m from the bank and speaking to 2 guys last week further round the lake, they were fishing pole 7m out and had tench to 7lb and many perc to 1lb.

I am not a specimen hunter and will be happy with anything from my first attempt at a new har water but wondered what everyone else will do.

The bottom is quite uneven with rock/stone/mining debris and there is plenty of weed around both on the bottom and the green fog type weed near the surface although there are many weed free sections. On recent reccies i have seen large perch 1 foot frm the bank and many sets of bubbles at different parts of the swims.

Would love any advice on how you would approach. I plan to fish from dawn.

Cheers

Andy

lp1886

If it is rarely fished and the fish are that big then there is obviously ample natural food. This being the case the fish are hardly going to be attracted to a small amount of feed so put plenty of bait in first (8 big balls of g/bait with plenty casters, corn, 4mm pellet). Don't bother fishing in the deepest water, find around 10-12ft regardless of distance from the bank and fish a 6mm pellet, or corn on the hook and wait for the fish to find you bait.This is the approach i use on my local which sounds very similar to the lake you describe. If you don't get bites straight away don't become disheartened, the fish will eventually turn up they will just need time to find the bait in that vast amount of water. It may even be worth fishing up in the water 6-8ft deep on top of your initial g/bait bombardment and loose feed casters to catch a few early roach, the fish will then eventually follow the loosefeed down and then settle on your g/bait and freebies.

Status
Not open for further replies.