Natural Venues..... Pah.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Should have been at Whiteacres for a silvers festival this week, another victim of the lockdown. Decided to venture back to a river, first time for a few years. Well I prepped, dug out a spliced tip rod, stick floats, made up some Jean Desque pole float rigs, had some big fat bronze maggots and some excellent casters.

Went with my travelling partner Tony, although we did go in separate vans. Short tale really, the river was gin clear, I had two bites, bumped one, missed one, one on the stick, one on the waggler. Tony had four roach in the pole, caught in a 5 minute spell about an hour into our nigh on 6 hour session.

It was sunny, it didn’t rain, it was nice to run a stick float through again, it was better than work, but some fish would have been nice!!

There is an angling schoolboy error in one of these pictures, anyone see what it is?

19CC7EC8-0705-4CDC-A38B-B82C086A7E1D.jpeg F3AB99A9-646F-4AF5-B71D-783174B0703E.jpeg

Last edited:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Think it's the white keepnet that scared the fish away, you need some underwater camo pattern spray paint....:D

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Think it's the white keepnet that scared the fish away, you need some underwater camo pattern spray paint....:D
Silver keepnet, if it wasn’t 10’ deep there I may agree, but I took it out to dry before the end and the never came back......

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Natural venues can be a reality check for anglers in my opinion, I don't remember blanking on matches throughout my commercial fishing career, started pleasure fishing the rivers and it wasn't long before it came along. Much nicer environment though,??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I havent blanked on a river in coming up to 2 years but have come rather close a couple times ?

First half the season I genuinely believe there is always good fishing to be had provided you're in roughly the right place doing roughly the right thing. I generally think if I don't have a good or at least decent day at such time of year then unless I'm faced with some extreme conditions I've probably got it wrong tactically or sat in the wrong place. Second half of the season is a different matter though. When I'm battling the conditions more often than not at such time of year I fail more than I succeed.

I think of the first half of the season as succeeding season and the second half as scratching season in terms of where my skill level is at!

chris1967

Site Supporter
no colour coordination who the hell has a purple groundbait bucket ,come on it has to be orange :giggle: that'll be why you didn't catch for sure

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I used to be in the Army, I've got some, sprays black and green patches, I'll be selling it on 01 April 2021, if anyone wants some price TBC.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Pole stayed in the bag, rivers should be fished with rod and line ?
so true ... stop waving those 'orrible continental things about and get back on the waggler!

TBF - I don't know the venues down your way - but that level of clarity at this time of year would indicate fish shoaled up really tight on all the venues that I fish ... and plenty of blanks! certainly for roach, dace and bream ... chub tend to stay more spread out in their usual haunts (if they even still exist ;) )

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Another schoolboy error is putting your keepnet in before starting?. Kiss of death.
I have to say I have got a bit superstitious about not using a keepnet as I've caught a lot better since I stopped using them. I know that's purely down to having become a better angler but still feel I'd be tempting fate if I started using them again! Just another thing to carry anyway ?