Natural or Artificial Baits ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a bit on the use of artificial baits, in particular boilies and wonder what your opinions of them are?
It seems that boilies can just about be used for most species now instead of the natural baits - or at least what I call natural - worm, maggot, castor, wasp grub, etc.

Add to that are the 'designer' boilies that can be tailoured to suit most species, maybe even one for pike next [8)]

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
they have been known to catch pike in the past i have seen a couple of reports where pike have taken poped up fishmeal biolies .
i know that biolies gave me the 2 barbel on the trent fish in that was the first time i had ever used them

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

matt

Site Supporter
hi dave, a few years ago, i was doing a bit of specimen carp fishing on one of my local club waters in the summer. along with the usual tench and carp, i also caught a 16lbs pike on fishmeal boilie. this fish had recently spawned and was virtually empty inside. if this was caught in the winter, i reckon it would have pushed 20+lbs as it was very long fish.
with regards to the use of boilies for other species, i believe that yes, they can be a very effective bait but it is best to use them in conjunction with other natural/traditional baits and with the exception of specimen carp fishing should not be solely relied upon (IMO)[:p]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
On one water I know rubbish anglers had to stop using fishmeal boilies due to the large number of pike picking then up

chill out go fishing

ray

never used a boilie and dont really intend to, as for other artificial baits, i have thought about it but never used any, i have seen the stuff done by berkley(i think) and was quite impressed by the blood worm, it does look the part and can be cut off at any length so i was toying with the idea of having a go for bream using it, but i still keep going back to the natural baits.

i personally use about 10-12 different baits over a season witch i think is a lot but that covers me for every session/fish type so i aint really got time for artificial stuff.

a fool and his litter are soon parted.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The artifical dog biscuits work when used as a floating bait for carp.

chill out go fishing

angler-mark

I must admit that I have caught fish on both types and it's one of things that make fishing a fascinating hobby. I prefer natural baits but if someone is catching on artificial ones, then I'm quite happy to try them. There is always going to be a debate on which baits are better, but if you keep an open mind, the chances are that you will get the best from both types on different occasions.

Just look at the advances with the motor cars, if there had been no changes made, we would all be driving around in a Ford Prefect or something simular to it, so I think there are advantages for trying new ideas in all walks of life. [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think boilies should be banned on still waters (or at least a limit imposed as to the amount you can use).

A farm pool i fish has recently been enlarged & the owner John (whos a good mate & as scoobs will tell you a great bloke) asked me what all the thick black rubbish was on the bottom of his pool.

When i had a good look it was a mixture of boilies, hemp & groundbait which hadn't been eaten but had sat on the bottom & rotted.

This is obviously bad for the fish through oxygen depletion etc so John has now banned them from his water.

He's planning on extending the pool again this winter & Scoobs will be pleased to know he's going to do it the way we reccomended, even when larger he still won't allow the banned baits to be used which i agree with.

Back to the question (sorry Dave) i think you must try all baits just to see what works & what doesn't, the reasoning behind this is a simple one, you don't know whats going in the water from other anglers & as we all know the fish will soon find a favorite of their own.

I personally believe that this time of year is the best to try new/different baits as the fish won't be getting as much "naturel" food so will be "hunting" out the food more eagerly.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Just reading the replys and wondering what is an artificial bait?

is it some of these plastic baits thats made to look like the real thing,
e.g. plastic hemp,casters,maggots,sweetcorn,worms,you can now get plastic boilies,and pellets, and lets not forget lures,

or is it anything thats made up of some sort of a food content,

lets face it a pellet is no different to a boilie,
and a boilie is only a hard piece of paste,
luncheon meat is that natural?

so my question, whats artificial,

and like Ray said he uses 10/12different baits over a season,
so which of those are natural & which are artificial.

Mark as for everyone driving around in Ford Prefects (those were the days)

teepee.

angler-mark

Tony, We were lucky mate, we had two and one was black and the other one was black
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Tight Lines

Mark

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Bolies should be used as a hook bait only or some sort of restiction, because some of these carp lads put bag after bag into lakes! It cant do them anygood.

cosmicgunge

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Artificial bait to me means the imitations made by enterprise orpartridge ie boilies corn dog biscuit. Alternatively spoons spinners etc. Or a bait with no food content.

chill out go fishing

ray

quote:luncheon meat is that natural?

yeh, i grow all my own lunceons.....[:D]

a fool and his litter are soon parted.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
At the lakes I often fish (Hindeclay, Suffolk) boilies are banned.

Just out of interest I asked the owner why, and he said it was because he had seen so many waters where boilies were the only thing that any species was interested in due to their over-use - mainly by fishermen targetting carp in his opinion. He readily acknowledged their nutritional value and didn't have any objections on those grounds.

He wants to keep his waters "flexible", in as much as most baits will work and the fish don't get hung-up on one particular bait.

It seems to be working as I've caught carp from there on pellets, luncheon meat and corn, whilst just along the bank silver fish are being caught on casters/maggots etc.

There is also a ban on 'pet food' by the way, but I never got around to asking about that.

AlanP

Status
Not open for further replies.