Natural food

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was chatting to regulars at the park yesterday about why no fish have been coming out for the last two weeks for any anglers. He reckoned it would just end up blowing your mind trying to explain it. I suggested that it was full of bloodworm hence all the midges around the lake, and it seems the sort of water I'd expect there to be lots of bloodworm, shallow, somewhat stagnant and somewhat silty. He just laughed at my suggestion and said all lakes have bloodworm which I somewhat doubt.

What do you reckon? Is the lake being full of bloodworm a viable excuse?

When I go to the tackle shop today I'm going to look for some kind of red wafter, possibly bloodworm, CC Moore do them but too big for me, and some Sonubaits Bloodworm groundbait and method mix just to see if that works.

Sportsman

I use Sonubaits Bloodworm and Fishmeal soft hooker pellets in 6mm on a large natural lake. Skimmers love them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This guy I was chatting to conceded something about Carp anglers casting towards the houses on the lake and coming back with bloodworm on the rig, but you have to be very careful what you take in from people as a lot of it will be rumour, fisherman's tales and Chinese whispers. I'm going to try the bloodworm groundbait but don't expect magic as the fish didn't switch on till dark yesterday.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
i think most lakes have bloodworm but bloodworm is just one small part of the naturals and the eco-system, theres loads of food to eat from. Ive also seen carp switch to eating fish after spawning or at opportune times i.e. when there is a massive fry hatch happening, have caught carp that have coughed up chewed fish remains and it makes sense as full of protein.

other things like big changes in oxygen and algae can have huge impacts as well, so there could be many reasons why fish turn off for a while, i am convinced that if there is a abundant alternative food source then carp will switch to that at times. Same as a human walking into a cake shop and having all these delicacies around you and then offering a single rice cracker..........most people would gorge on what is available not the rice cracker lol

same as spawning, have seen carp gorge in the build up and then once they have shagged for days on end they just want to lay back and have a ciggie and chill before they eat again, pretty natural when you think about it

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Interesting. It's fed by a brook but for some reason still looks pretty 'stagnant' for want of a better word to me. They have to turn the fountain on as an aerator in the day. It's only 3' deep but a murky green colour suggesting heavy algae. The Carp actually did spawn quite early a few weeks back and it hasn't fished well for any species since then.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d say it’s more likely just a low stock water so some days you’ll be on them others you won’t

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm glad I caught it good a few weeks back as it's given me confidence to go back and could catch it right again, but no one has caught anything for a couple of weeks now. Low stock (which it is) and natural food is my current excuse.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
have to be really careful with algae and oxygen crashes, especially this time of year and just after spawning. oh if only we were a fish, we would have all the answers lol!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The EA inspected it a few weeks back (when it was fishing ok) due to a few very small Roach dying down the edge with a green slime covering their gills. They said something about the time of year and oxygen levels I think. On the plus side, I mentioned the bloodworm to someone else and he said that's why the Crucians are so big.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm getting so much from the tackle shop today, for both future sessions at the park and tomorrow on the estate lake, I had to write a shopping list.

2022-05-25 12.16.59.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Maggots are always on the cards there but I think wafters go so well with a method feeder and groundbait (with some microcs) is the way to go on that as I want low food content. I will struggle to get red or bloodworm 6mm wafters I think but I have found some on eBay I might try.

Maggots were what I caught on a few weeks ago but I think when they're feeding I'll catch on anything and so I'm going to experiment.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
i think most lakes have bloodworm but bloodworm is just one small part of the naturals and the eco-system, theres loads of food to eat from. Ive also seen carp switch to eating fish after spawning or at opportune times i.e. when there is a massive fry hatch happening, have caught carp that have coughed up chewed fish remains and it makes sense as full of protein.

other things like big changes in oxygen and algae can have huge impacts as well, so there could be many reasons why fish turn off for a while, i am convinced that if there is a abundant alternative food source then carp will switch to that at times. Same as a human walking into a cake shop and having all these delicacies around you and then offering a single rice cracker..........most people would gorge on what is available not the rice cracker lol

same as spawning, have seen carp gorge in the build up and then once they have shagged for days on end they just want to lay back and have a ciggie and chill before they eat again, pretty natural when you think about it
Over this part week have watched multiple species on a natural water gorge on other species spawn.
There are more natural food stuffs than we as angler imagine.
Take as an example - Alton water in Suffolk. It has a perimeter of just over eight miles and it’s very deep in areas.
Water volume is massive.
Yet fish thrive, massive Bream/Roach schools, big Tench/Carp/Pike/Perch.
If 100 anglers a day feed a few pints of maggot/caster/pellet it would hardly feed the population of fish in there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can't remember fishing a lake with so many midges about so somethings hatched and they say to match the hatch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was quite a few roach taking flies when I was at boddington Saturday but it didn’t stop then gorging on maggots. But done a couple cherwell and a canal walks in the last week as well after work and the amount of fish gorging on the evening fly hatches has been insane been like being on a chalkstream except for the water colour meaning you can’t tell what they are.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'd try pinkies. A small natural bait might be what they want. I always found fish can become preoccupied with a food stuff but after a while they need something else and go onto different food.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been fishing there about 2 or 3 times a week so this is by no means the only thing I'll try. Maggots haven't been working either, for any angler, so it might be worth trying pinkies I guess. But fishing the float you can generally tell when there's feeding fish in your peg from the bubbles, but it's even easier on a feeder to tell as you get line bites, and there just hasn't been anything even thinking about feeding.

I will be trying these though.

2022-05-25 14.37.37.jpg

And this is the groundbait I bought.

2022-05-25 14.38.08.jpg

Those bags will last me a good few sessions so it will be just a case of grabbing some and going and not having to always worry about maggots.

inky finger

Red squatt in leam/lake in GB 50/50 dead and living on the pole or waggler line. Use a big feeder to bait up at distance if fishing a feeder. Dead reds on the hook. Lives. if its tricky.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Maggots haven't been working but that's two suggestions for squatts and pinkies now. Must be something in it.

I'm likely going to crack on with my method feeder and red wafter and not catch anything. :LOL: