National Fishing Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave k

How many of you realise that the official start of National fishing week is only 2 weeks away. 17th-26th August.

i am amazed at the lack of publicity there is amongst the angling comunity.
last year none of the tackle shops in our area knew what National fishing week was. Until i went in asking if they could display a poster in their windows.

The 2 main aims of National fishing week are;
To improve the lifestyle of disabled people, youngsters,women, and retired people, infact anyone and everyone, by introducing them to Angling as a relaxing,theraputic and environmetally friendly pastime.

To increase individual commitment to, and participation in the conservation and enhancment of water resources.

our own club is holding an event this weekend as part of National fishing week, August 10th & 11th and there have already been many hundreds of events throughout the country as well.

can anyone else put up any events that are planned for your own areas.

our event is in Cambridge, details can be found on our club website.

http://www.homestead.com/cambridgeuniversityangli/index.html

Dave Kennedy
http://usscangling.cjb.net

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers Dave for the reminder,

For those who arn't sure what National Fishing Week is about, it is a week, or more precisely ten days in August which people who have never fished before can be introduced to our sport. UK National Fishing Week is part of the World Fishing Week Programme. Various othe rcountries such as the USA, New Zealand, Denmark, Italy, France, Hooland, Norway, Sweden, Singapore and Japan are already participating and many more countries have plans to participate in the future.

The first UK NFW was in 1992 and it has expanded each year since it's inception. In 2001 more than 100,000 people took part in 17,162 events all over the country.

The aims of the NFW are two fold: to improve the lifestyle of disabled people, youngsters, retired people, ladies and non anglers by introducing them to angling as an enjoyable, relaxing, therapeutic and environmentally friendly pastime, and to increase individual committment to, and participation in, the conservation and enhancment of our aquatic resources.

Practically everyone associated with angling in any way, from individuals to clubs, trade associations, government departments and the media, is by doing so helping to make National Fishing Week 2002 a success.

There is more information on this site: http://www.fisheries.co.uk/nfw/

and if anyone wants a NFW Action Manual please send your name, address, postcode and telephone number to:

Vince Lister, National Fishing Week,
(No Stamp Necessary)
Frrepost (RG3254)
Wimborne,
Dorset.
BH21 3ZZ

Regards, Dave

Stu Dav

Davi
Dave and Dave

What can I do, as I for one knew nothing about it.
These things seem to come and go during the night.
I get Angling Times and I`m in and out of the local tackle shop.

Yours Ignorantly

Stu Dav ;(

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi StuDav,

The NFW Commitee has prepared an Action Maunaul for NFW containing a list of suggestions for events; a planning programme showing what to do; a countdown programme showing when to do it, tips, specimen paticipants certificates, the Junior Anglers Code of Conduct - everything you need to organise an event. This manual is available from the above address.

In short getting Mums, Dads, Youngsters and friends together for a fishing trip with either yourself or members of your club/other anglers for a day's fishing or 'teach in' is all you need to do.
You can take it one step further and organize a local event inviting al to attend or even contacting youth groups/clubs, and co-ordinating your efforts.

I understand the EA has wiaved the obligatory Rod Licence for the week for anyone taking part in an event or day oput in relation to the National Fishing Week and I'll try to get some confirmation on this,

Dave

Del-J

' Victor '
dave k, as one who was lucky enough to attend your clubs fish in/teaching event last year may I say what a great day it was. The look on the youngsters faces when they caught a fish was priceless.
I'm not sure if I can get there again this year but I shall certainly try. In case I don't get there i'll wish you as much success as last year. I hope you exceed last years great effort for charity. I also hope you have better weather this year.
By the way dave is it at the same venue as last year?

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Edited by - Del-J on 05 August 2002 4:29:55 PM

dave k

Hi Del
yes it is at the same location, and like you i hope the weather is kinder.......it is peeing down at the moment.

many thanks for your kind works, though i must admit to being a little bit embarresed as i cant remember you:(

Dave Kennedy

Del-J

' Victor '
Hi Del

many thanks for your kind works, though i must admit to being a little bit embarresed as i cant remember you

Dave you were so busy making sure all went of well it's a wonder if you were able to remember anybody. Besides I try not to be the pushy ME, ME, ME type so no reason you should remember me.

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Gray Catchpole

Hi Dave K
glad to see your doing it again this year, (sorry about last years cock up, all my fault).

maggotdrowners welsh fish-in starts 23-25 of august, more info in the events link.

Gray

danzante

Dave,
is it true , that all of the people in Hooland don't know each other?.icon_smile.gif

Danny

dave k

Hi Dave.
just read your article about NFW. well done.
just one point i would make though in regards to the licencing issue for the week.
as you have pointed out you will try to get it clarifide.

For our own event i had to apply for a group licence for the weekend, which i got free of charge.

there is no amnesty for the week but if you are at a recongnised NFW event they Should be in posetion of a group licence.

i dont want anyone going down to a river and lake to try the sport and find they are being prosecuted for not having a licence.

Dave Kennedy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. I have just received clarification from the EA:

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your interest in the the National Fishing Week.
During the fishing week there will still be a need for anglers to hold a valid EA Rod Licence (under 12 years old are exempt), but there may be special events which will be licenced, whereby people can turn up and fish without an individual licence. The participants should check with their local EA fisheries department, before participating, to see if the event is licenced to ensure compliance with the regulations.

If you have any further queries please contact us on 02920 770088 asking for customer contact.

Thanks

Pete
Customer Contact Authorisations Officer

Regards, Dave

Founder member of the IGAREFTEA Society icon_smile_wink.gif

dave k

we held our open weekend last weekend..........and the english weather was rubbish......

Saturday was a complete let down as we had that much rain hardly anyone turned up.

sunday was a better day with the EA and LAS together with the PAC attending.

again the turnout was not as good as i had hoped for, despite having advertised the weekend in the local press, tackle shops , youth clubs and on talk sport.

The Lure anglers had a great day catching several fish on lures. one of the ladies who was with us caught her first pike with the help of James Dean from the LAS

we had a lot of support from the tackle trade and local companies and i felt we let them all down because of the poor attendance.

we raised over 200 for Marie Curie Cancer care, a sum we hope to increase by the end of the year.

one nice part of the weekend was the raffle. one of our members who was in hospital having cancer treatment won the main prize in the raffle a feeder rod donated by the Angling Times. he will be abble to try it out soon as he is out now and dosnt have to go back for 2 weeks.

hopefully there will be a write up in the angling times next week.

Dave Kennedy

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Same weather as last year then dave? icon_smile_sad.gif

At least the EA made it this year, did your "mate" from Peta attend or did she have enough last year LOL icon_smile_wink.gif

Glad to see you've managed to raise some more money for the Marie Curie fund again.

Well done mate i know how much work you put into your weekends & hope you'll now relax a bit & maybe get some fishing in.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Status
Not open for further replies.