Napton Reservoir

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just been searching for information about the Tench fishing at Napton. Only found a few articles and videos, including this worrying post on Facebook.

Anyone know how it's been fishing? I've been excited about fishing there next year and wondering about best pegs/methods.
Is it worth fishing the waggler or feeder with corn or is it a boilie and pellet water?

Thanks

troutfly123

Site Supporter
Hi. Went there a few times last summer. Caught plenty of tench up to six pounds. The lake on the right is very weedy but if you cast around you can find the clear spots. The one on the left is free of weed. Fished both with the method feeder with sweetcorn, 6mm robin reds and other verious pellets. I mainly fish the
left hand lake on the path that splits the two lakes. Seen a few guys swing tipping and they do ok. The opposite bank is all rocks but there are a few swims there

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I can't wait until it's warm enough to fish there. I might go and have a look around there next time I have a job in the area. Actually I'm working in Coventry tomorrow so might go for a walk around. Thanks again!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Went there today as planned and there was 4 people fishing on the left lake! I didn't stop to ask what they were fishing for!

2020-01-02 12.06.55.jpg

Bit smaller than I thought it would be and I imagine it will be prettier in warmer months compared to a windswept today. Can't wait to fish it. It's an hour and 20 mins drive from me so I'll have to be ready for some early starts. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s committed for a day trip fair play to you! About 45 minutes away is about as far as I’ll do on a day trip, any further than that and a bit of traffic can screw your day.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's not a bad route really as just down the fairly reliable M40 and I'm used to doing the hour and 10 minute trip to Leamington for work. It's going to be about the same for the Avon if I get a Leamington Anglers Card. How does it work when you go sea fishing, that not a longer journey?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Generally overnight for that. My grandparents still have a little flat from when they used to have boats in gosport so stay there when fishing out of one of the Hampshire harbours then when fishing out of one of the dorset harbours I stay at a mates house in Poole as got a few that settled there after we went to uni in Bournemouth.

troutfly123

Site Supporter
You do get one or two carp anglers there. Last year they had restrictions on parts of the lefthand lake due to the carp spawning.
Can have good days catching tench on the Horseshoe lake at Jubilee pools