Named and shamed - my angling club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

Farnborough & District angling society. That's who.

I joined them earlier this year because they owned 5 gravel pits right by my house, one of which (pit 3) is perfect - parking right alongside, a tackle shop within walking distance, very pretty looking lake with some big fish in it - carp, tench, pike, perch, bream. It turns out that they offloaded 2 of the pits to a syndicate (making them unfishable to oiks like me).

Pit 3 is a hard water, because it's never stocked (to my knowledge), and the attitude seems to be "It's a hard water, you should learn to fish it." Fair enough, but if you want to entice day ticket anglers and guests and get more people on the lake, then they want to able to at least catch one or two decent fish.

Earlier this year, a few members had decided that there were too many pike in there and were fishing for them (outside the stated pike season) with the intention of killing them (against club policy). I wrote a letter to the secretary outlining my disapproval and asked what the club's policy was, he never bothered replying. I met him by accident on the other lake the club owns <<edit>>. Totally out of touch with modern day angling and not prepared to listen to anyone elses point of view.

Yesterday, I went to have a day pike fishing on Pit 3 and found out, just before I was due to pack up, that they had either netted or electro-fished it and took most of the pike out and put them into a different pit, which is much more of a pain in the a**e to get to, meaning quite a long walk with all your kit. You can't just pop in and fish this lake, you have to commit yourself to a good day's fishing, which I don't always have time to do.

I stopped fishing their other lake (Shawfields) this Summer, because when I wanted to get away from everybody and have a day to myself, the world and his wife would be around (all 'bailiffs' or club officials) all slagging each other off and moaning about how the club is run as if I could really give a s**t.

I was debating whether to renew my membership for next season, but my decision has been made for me by these petty, narrow minded, self serving fools.

Hollybush Pit3 could be a fantastic all-round fishery, but they don't seem to care or realise just what they have got. I fished there more than any other water this year and most of the time I have been the only person on the lake, while they seem to plough all their money and effort into their 'Premier' fishery at Shawfields, the best prospect IMHO is being ruined.

WAKE UP FARNBOROUGH!!!!!!!! AND PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BACKSIDES.

DJ.gif

(Just a small edit beebs [:)] - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Well done Beebs, stick to your guns mate,

Reading your remarks,it looks as tho the club has made rules to be broken,do they ever consult the members ??????.

Taking pike and killing them,but is there any proof,if so report the club to the EA,.

Well done [^][^][^],i wonder how long the club will last if other members took the same view as you.

catch me if u can
Andy,

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Why not stay in the club and put yourself up for the committee and give them hell.

chill out go fishing

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Yesterday, I went to have a day pike fishing on Pit 3 and found out, just before I was due to pack up, that they had either netted or electro-fished it and took most of the pike out and put them into a different pit,

Just a thought ,but i take it that the club obtained the neccessary permission (section 30's) to transfer these fish????????

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

fishing_mad

it seems that this club is a bit twisted i reckon you report em they deserve it

:)Fishing Mad:)

Beebs

quote:
Just a thought ,but i take it that the club obtained the neccessary permission (section 30's) to transfer these fish????????

Don't know for sure, will go down there again sometime this week and try and find out exactly what the heck has been going on.

crusty

Hi beebs

I agree with esox, have a go at 'em,
the best way to do it is from the inside.

renew your membership, and try to find any other members who are unhappy, especialy if they are already on the committee,[:D] try to motivate all the like-minded people into talking about what they want to see happen.

Then come the AGM, aim to get yourself, and if poss, a mate on to the committee.

even if you don't get on you'll have at least rattled a few cages[^]

crusty

mike s

You're lucky- as it appears that SOME of the club officials ACTUALLY GO FISHING.
MORE THAN 50% of my local club's comittee rarely-if ever wet a line!
Cormorants & comittee members-same difference.

"Wot, no Fish!"

Status
Not open for further replies.