Mystery spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello all

this is a snippet from a post i put on another part of the forum....

...oh i have a question: my girlfriend has a pond in her back garden, 16 feet by 5 feet wide by 3-4deep. we put 20 minnow , 10 sticleback, 2 roach ,3 perch,8 small goldfish and one tench in it recently . yesterday we found a big clump of spawn, a big string of it about 10 - 12 inches long and two inches wide,it was white,stringy and tough (looked a bit like a clump of tissue),i couldnt spot many embryos within the egg sacs.but it was definitely spawn.

im wondering which fish was the culprit?

the lone tench is female (im working on getting here a mate) so i was thinking it might be aborted eggs from her due to the lack of a male suitor and the new surroundings (she went in two weeks ago), but its a bit early for tench and im not sure if her eggs should be developed yet?

the amount of spawn looks too big to be from anything else as the biggest perch is only 10 oz, roach 4oz and goldfish tiny,the tench is only 1lbs 4oz and none of the fish appear to have any guilty looks on their faces

.As i dont have any access to my college library coz im on a year out i cant check up on it easily myself, does anyone have any ideas?

many thanks
ADAM

The tench shall inherit the earth.

http://communities.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
What about frog or toad spawn??? If it is it will be quite large eggs with a black centre.

chill out go fishing

Cyprinid_boy

Without seeing it i cannot be sure, however, the description sounds very much like perch. They tend to spawn long threads of eggs. Your 10 oz fish, if the female, could quite easily lay up to 35,000 eggs so don't be surprised by the quantity. What college are you studying at?

Cyp

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello

thanks both of you for the ideas

esox, im fairly sure it not frog or toad spawn,its the wrong shape and consistency and the pond is too new to be colonized by frogs yet.
the spawn was also laid underwater on lily stems which might suggest a fully aquatic creature laid them.

cyprinid boy,well there seems to be less than say 3000 eggs so i guess it could well be perch,thats ok lots of perch fry for the other perch to eat,they might leave the goldfish alone now.
i was studying at the national university of ireland maynooth doing stats and biology,fisnished my primary degree last summer and im looking to go back to do a phd next year in nematology.

good luck
adam

Status
Not open for further replies.