My thoughts on the poppy

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
After seeing a post by @tipitinmick on my other thread i thought i'd start a new thread instead of taking the original off topic.....

I think Im guilty of this ....... Only thinking of our troops, their families, our country, our losses but, we've to remember it was happening to their troops, their families at the same time. Their troops didnt want to die either I guess. They had sons, daughters, mothers, fathers back home just like our troops did. Innocent men and women being killed and for what ? At the end of the day they still have to get around the table and talk it through.

This is where i always become unpopular....

In Europe there are ww1 graveyards, massive ones with hundreds of "unknown soldiers" in them, some of these graveyards were made by German soldiers who took it upon themselves to gather the dead and give them decent burials...British soldiers, buried in proper graves with crosses/markers simply stating "a British soldier" buried by German soldiers.

Contrary to popular belief the German soldiers did the same thing during ww2, my grandfather told me of a group of German soldiers who were caught by American soldiers, they caught them without their weapons on them but in their hands they had shovels, they were covered in mud and were exhausted, they had decided to stay behind when the rest of their group left, they stayed behind to bury the dead including the Allied soldiers and apprently they were glad to have been caught because their officer was a Nazi and he would have had them shot for burying the Allied soldiers.

When i wear my poppies (a Red and a White) i wear the red in rememberance of ALL those on both sides who have died in the senseless wars created by politicians and the white in the hope that my children/grandchildren never have to face that kind of thing.

People think of the poppy as a British thing (it isn't by the way), even worse they think of it as a "White British" thing, i have seen the braindeads commenting on how wrong it is that the poppy is being worn by none white none British people and it makes me sick.

A few years ago a group of British military veterans complained that the poppy was being turned into a sideshow, it was being forced upon people and any who didn't wear it were attacked by those who did, it was also being hijacked by "certain" groups who were using it to further their agenda against people of different culture, the veterans were upset (and rightly so) that the poppy was being used for the exact opposite of it's true meaning.

The poppy is sold in something like 130 countries, including places like South Africa, Argentina, Republic of Ireland, Pakistan and even the Ukraine...the list goes on and i can't help but wonder just how many of those wearing the poppy in all those foreign countries are white British?

As i mentioned above, the poppy isn't even a British thing, it's actually American, the first "rememberance poppies" were sold in New York, the poppy isn't only British...it's a world poppy just as the wars were and as far as i am concerned anybody can wear one, i don't give a damn about their colour, religion or anything else, respect is respect.

All anybody with half a brain has to do is look at the lists of countries involved in ww1 and 2, take a look at how many volunteered to fight for the British, they didn't have to..they wanted to.
I have seen the windowlicking dribblers say so many times "what have the muslims done for us"...try looking at history, not far off ancient history but recent (100yr) history, try looking at the world wars, even Churchill said, without the Indian army we would have been sunk..in case you don't know history the Indian army was the biggest volunteer army the world has ever seen.

We had Sikh, Hindu and Muslim volunteers from all over Asia and Africa fighting for this country, one of the greatest "heroines" of ww2 was a Muslim Princess called Noor Khan, she was working as a Waaf radio operator but the SOE noticed how good she was and they asked her to join, her network was discovered by the Germans and the SOE told her to return home...she refused and stayed in France not only spying for us but also helping RAF airmen escape, she helped Jews to escape as well..she was eventually caught after being reported by a french woman.

She was tortured, beaten, starved and raped by the gestapo and still she refused to give up any information, she even managed to escape twice but was recaptured, she was eventually sent to Dachau and sentenced to death, just as the triggers were pulled she is reported to have shouted "Liberte".
Noor Khan, Almost forgotten by most but she was awarded the Croix de Geure by the French and the George cross by the British, one of only 3 women to have it and a few years ago she became the first Asian woman to have a statue unveiled in her honour.

Ishar Singh, a Sikh who single handedly fought off an attack with a lewis gun he was wounded but carried on firing and kept the enemy away while the wounded were dealt with, he was awarded the VC for that

In the Kohima cemetery is a memorial to the Sikhs and Hindus that saved the British supply bases, there is a stone memorial which has the words
"When you go home tell them of us and say for your tomorrow we gave our today"

On a cherry tree where the cremated remains were laid is a plaque that reads
"For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

Some of you may recognise it..it is known as the Kohima Epitaph
The battle of Kohima has been recognised as the greatest British battle

So, the next time you hear idiots claiming the poppy is "British" or complaining about none White, None British people wearing it..... you can educate them, or if you're like me, educate them and then ridicule them for trying to be clever when they are far far from it!!

As an aside, one good thing i can say about David Cameron..... when he was asked to remove his poppy in China he refused which didn't please the Chinese government, at least he had the balls to say no.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I never have or never will wear a poppy ! My reasons are known to those who know me well enough for me to tell them. I respect those who do wear them "for the right reasons", but it really boils my blood when I hear of people being abused for not wearing it ! It is very like the Easter Lilly over here. It was meant to commemorate those who had died and support their families, but was hijacked by various groups over the years !

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is also another bunch that gets mentioned very little, but deserves massive respect, the Gurkha's, yet they fought in some of the bloodiest of battles.

I'm from Stafford mate, we have a squadron of Ghurka based here, it was a Ghurka wife who dealt with me when i collapsed and was rushed into hospital.... my grandfather said they were the most honourable people he ever met!

A retired Ghurka opened a resturant in town...he had a massive influx of customers when it got around about the night he chased a group of drunken idiots out of his resturant for calling him a paki, he put a sign in the window that said "if you wear this you not welcome" and underneath it had a picture of an EDL shirt :LOL::LOL::LOL:

He's gone now sadly but there's another one opened and the food is amazing, although, a little to hot n spicy for me!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There used to be one in Sheffield, a very pleasant couple used to own/run it. In their window was a poster which read...

Try our hot and spicy, it's cool.

Don't get me wrong, the food was terrific, but it would take the paint off anything. The couple did however make meals for those that didn't want the skin taken off their tongue. :D

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Years ago, my mates dad was an RSM who ran the local recruiting office. He had a Ghurksa sergeant with him for a while, he was the smartest turned out soldier I have ever seen. Not just for dress parades, but all the time.
A few years ago I worked out in Qatar with some Nepalese guys doing underwater helicopter survival training. They weren't that big, but wow, were they tough.
Great respect for them

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Hows about the hard lads who battered a 90 year old or anyone who batters old people should be put on the Gurka training course, which includes trying to batter them one on one and see how hard they are then.

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I worked for 20yrs+ with a old Gurka call Tim or that was is adopted English name, very quiet but very capable Man, alway's thought thing's through but very quickly, I never saw him make a wrong decision. Hard as nails to boot!

c oo ki e

o_O
i buy poppies because hopefully at least some of the money goes to supporting all our veterans who took part in the war.
consider me educated though trogg.
:)(y)

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Falkland lslands 1982, l was with the Harriers. The Royal Engineers were doing some work to the airfield. This truck pulls up and the driver got out, a Ghurka about my age 19ish. He was hanging around whilst they filled his truck up with rubble. Anyway the RE lads stopped for a brew and this Ghurka lad didn't get one so l brewed one up and took it out to him. He was well happy as it can get quite nippy down there. Not long later l saw his truck pull up again and he jumped out so l gave him a shout and the old brew gesture, l got the thumbs up and went off to brew up. This went on for a couple of days, even invited him into our tent but he refused pointing to his truck, he couldn't leave it unattended. On the 2nd day just before he left he shook my hand and gave me a badge of the Kukri, the legendary Ghurka knife that l had been admiring. Smashing lad, spoke very little English but we got by with hand gestures. Had the badge stolen, gutted.