My own fault for being tight?

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Had a delivery from Willy worms this morning. Nothing major, 1 pint of red, 1 pint of whites, half a pint of pinkies. And some pellets.
When ordered these on Wednesday evening.
a pop up window asking to pay £2.99 for ice packs appears. “Due to increasing price etc etc ice packs are now extra”etc etc.
Being a tight ar$e I opted to not pay for the ice pack.
When my packages arrived today I put everything through a riddle ready for the fridge.
The photo below shows the results, the bait boxes at the back are live, the boxes at the front are dead.
So my questions are
•did not having ice packs cause the amount of deads I ended up with?

•why so many dead whites, surly the loss of whites and reds would be the same?

•should I complain to Willy worms?

There’s no box for dead pinkies as there were very few..

Attachments

• B254613A-2FCB-4A6A-8BD5-493FF1E40D2B.jpeg
    B254613A-2FCB-4A6A-8BD5-493FF1E40D2B.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 82

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When I use them I always get ice packs. Seem to have gone up a pound since I last ordered but still if spending a fair bit on bait to start with I’m prepared to spend a faction more to guarantee it being alright. My only criticism if Willy’s is the sheer amount of sawdust you get at times. I get it’s cheaper than maize flour but they just use too much at times.

Total

Site Supporter
@MikeT Amman ......Probably a combination of factors Mike....I'd contact Willy Worms and explain the situation, they may want photographs but I've always found them accommodating and willing to listen and replace iffy goods....

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
dont see how you can complain, they gave you the option.

To be fair, put yourself in a sealed container i.e. the box with no fresh air for 8hrs and see how you feel, especially in the hot weather you have all been having, they cant control how long packages sit in the back of delivery vans

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
dont see how you can complain, they gave you the option.

To be fair, put yourself in a sealed container i.e. the box with no fresh air for 8hrs and see how you feel, especially in the hot weather you have all been having, they cant control how long packages sit in the back of delivery vans
I’m not complaining about Willy worm, if it’s my own fault I’m fine with that.
I would have thought that if it was due to heat I would have had the same ratio of dead’s from all packages.
Ice pack or not, they would still have been in the same box for the same amount of time, so I don’t really see your point.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
@MikeT Amman ......Probably a combination of factors Mike....I'd contact Willy Worms and explain the situation, they may want photographs but I've always found them accommodating and willing to listen and replace iffy goods....
Thanks total, I may email them and see what happens. I’m not the type to kick up a fuss! Lol

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Thanks total, I may email them and see what happens. I’m not the type to kick up a fuss!
When I use them I always get ice packs. Seem to have gone up a pound since I last ordered but still if spending a fair bit on bait to start with I’m prepared to spend a faction more to guarantee it being alright. My only criticism if Willy’s is the sheer amount of sawdust you get at times. I get it’s cheaper than maize flour but they just use too much at times.
I’ll definitely be opting for ice pack next time.
And there was rather large portions of sawdust all round lol.
Still Better then my local shops maggots, he only does mixed mags red/white/green/blue/pink, and they’re really small and full of dead’s and sawdust
Thank for the reply silver.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks total, I may email them and see what happens. I’m not the type to kick up a fuss! Lol
Probably best to give them a bell Mike....E mails get caught up in the system and may go unanswered.....As for kicking up a fuss, I agree, I'd sooner talk and get a result, but if I'm pushed people usually agree it was better to talk to me!;):devilish::devilish:

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
lol really? you dont understand / see the difference between having ice packs and cool air in a sealed container to trapped air getting hotter and hotter and not being able to breath as maggots need to breath :unsure: makes you wonder how anyone or people can suffocate in a enclosed space with no cooling and it being hot outside :unsure:

I wonder why they even offer to put ice packs in the packages if it doesnt make a difference? :unsure::laugh:

you have never had maggots die in a hot car or just being out in the sun? why do a lot of anglers carry all their bait in cooler bags with ice packs if it doesnt make a difference :laugh:

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Think this is down to no ice packs in the delivery - not used Willy’s Worms but even for travelling to venues to fish during the summer months I will use a cooler box & ice packs to keep my bait in best condition

Costly lesson learned the hard way unfortunately

Wrongfoot

I had some bother in the past, but this time I'd say it's probably the lack of ice. It was 27degrees peak yesterday and likely hotter in delivery vehicles... Of all the weeks to chance it without cool packs!?!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you sure they're dead?
Serious question as this has been raised in the past with other bait suppliers and after a few hours in a cool place they seem to revive themselves.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Your question about ratio of dead reds & whites is interesting. I’m sure reds last longer and sweat less than whites. Dunno why, something to do with the dye 🤷‍♂️. A trip I had recently in the heat, all the whites died in a big sweaty heap, reds were OK.

Wrongfoot

Your question about ratio of dead reds & whites is interesting. I’m sure reds last longer and sweat less than whites. Dunno why, something to do with the dye 🤷‍♂️. A trip I had recently in the heat, all the whites died in a big sweaty heap, reds were OK.
I've noticed this and I reckon it's possible that sales turnover of reds is faster (more popular) so they're often fresher. Also because dead reds are sold as a product, when they riddle off the reds any slow/weak ones may get chucked in to be blast frozen leaving only the healthiest to be sold alive. Not so with the whites.

Total

Site Supporter
I've noticed this and I reckon it's possible that sales turnover of reds is faster (more popular) so they're often fresher. Also because dead reds are sold as a product, when they riddle off the reds any slow/weak ones may get chucked in to be blast frozen leaving only the healthiest to be sold alive. Not so with the whites.
Nothing so dramatic I'm afraid....(y)...The red maggots in the photos above have a larger feed spot and therefore newer healthier maggots and not so many dead ones...;)

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Dave,
Are you sure they're dead?
Serious question as this has been raised in the past with other bait suppliers and after a few hours in a cool place they seem to revive themselves.

Dave,
You’re right, when the photo was take they had been out of their bags for about 2 hours.
I thought I had nothing to loose so I put the whites back on the riddle and went out for a few hours…
When I got home a majority of them had passed through the and looking very lively.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
If you see my reply to Dave, the white finally woke up.
So the question now is, do white maggots sleep better than reds?