My New Allerton, first impressions.

Rick123

Site Supporter
You can buy (or at least you could) shallow aluminium spools for the older models that is what use so never really thought about backing

Just ordered one tonight, £25 all in looks spot on of the job.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Has it been established exactly which model of Abu 507 you've got? The current MK2 is supposed to come with three shallow spools and one deep. Even if you've got an old MK2 (Goldmax), I seem to remember mine having a shallow spool. As an aside, there were two versions of the 507 Mk2 Goldmax. One version had no drag, backwind only. The other had a drag but also had an anti-reverse switch. As far as I'm aware the spools from the different models are not interchangeable. If you've not checked which reel you've actually got, you run the risk of the spool you've ordered not fitting.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I'll fish it out Sam :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Sam just out of interest when speaking with Tri-cast last week they suggest to me the main line on my new rod should be .14 so 2.5lb Maxima. I know you like me like these little snippets of info. I'm feeing a bit better this evening so hope to get out on Monday maybe on the Trent.
Going over old ground but 2.5lb maxima mic's up at 0.16.

I've used 2lb maxima for more years than I care to remember but I tried the 3lb Dave Harrell Pro Match this summer and I'm sure I'll be using it a lot more when I need a floating line. It mic'd up at 0.145.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Going over old ground but 2.5lb maxima mic's up at 0.16.

I've used 2lb maxima for more years than I care to remember but I tried the 3lb Dave Harrell Pro Match this summer and I'm sure I'll be using it a lot more when I need a floating line. It mic'd up at 0.145.

Only thing I will say is check the Harrell line, as I and others have had the odd bad spool?

trotter2

Only thing I will say is check the Harrell line, as I and others have had the odd bad spool?
I can't remember which one I tried but it seemed to perish very quickly. After about six trips out it snapped way below expectations. I won't be buying it again. I just binned the lot no confidence in it after that.. That's my take on it anyways. But like anything try it .

Rick123

Site Supporter
The first one he brought out, honest it broke like cotton. I know it may sound mad but lines like Maxima and Drennan have be a round a while, while the Harrell is quite a new line. I'd stick with what you know.

trotter2

The first one he brought out, honest it broke like cotton. I know it may sound mad but lines like Maxima and Drennan have be a round a while, while the Harrell is quite a new line. I'd stick with what you know.
That's what I found don't know if I got a bad spool but it was honestly rubbish . Stick with what you know ?