My New Allerton, first impressions.

Rick123

Site Supporter
While the rod arrived a few days ago, heavy cold prevented me from looking at the rod until this morning. First impressions are it has a good rod bag, with three loops nice quality too. The tip is really much finer than expected, and the spliced on this 15' model is hardly visible. I've looked at older rods for sale and on the older splice tip models it looks like a bump, on the new Allerton its just a progression of the same rod, very impressed indeed. The handle and reel seat are to my taste and feels ok, what reel to use I'm unsure, but Dave Roberts suggest not going to light, as I expected anyway to be honest. The blank is thicker at the butt end, maybe slightly more than I expected, but it is a 15' rod, so about the same as my 15' Shakespeare. All in all a nice rod, and I'll fish with it on Monday all being well. The only action I have seen of this rod is Mark fishing his, it looks tippy with a middle section that beefs up, I'll see. Would be interested on what reels others use on 15' long rods. As I mentioned I brought this because the Ultra Acolyte just did not do it for me action wise when trotting, while others lobe theirs. Its a fun old world, and its good we are all different. I'll get some picture for next week if anyone would like to see it? Keep safe all this bloody virus is not going away. Rich.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice one Rich. Hope the rod is everything you want it to be. Enjoy it ..... Sure you will. ?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I’ve got a 15 footer in one of the older models and use it with a Daiwa 1657DM. It’s a nicely balanced setup.

The only time I ever use a 13’ rod for stickfloat fishing these days is if I find myself pegged in a parrot cage or I need to fish tight down the near bank

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use either a TDM 3012 or an old Abu 507 on mine, I found the larger 507 balanced it better than my preferred 506M. Like you I find the action of the acolyte not to my liking and although the tri-cast is a bit heavier it is still well balanced so doesn't make a massive difference in the real world and it is a small price to pay for an action that suits me better

Rick123

Site Supporter
Nejohn. I do have a 507 but have not fished much with it because of the clutch, do you get use to it? Also, I've bulk spool of 2.5lb Maxima just wondered how much you put on at a time John? Thanks Trotter will give mine a go, lots of spare spools to for it. Cheers Mick for the kind thoughts. Never thought of the 507 to be honest. I've a mint 501 love it, but rarely use it to be honest.

trotter2

Nejohn. I do have a 507 but have not fished much with it because of the clutch, do you get use to it? Also, I've bulk spool of 2.5lb Maxima just wondered how much you put on at a time John? Thanks Trotter will give mine a go, lots of spare spools to for it. Cheers Mick for the kind thoughts. Never thought of the 507 to be honest. I've a mint 501 love it, but rarely use it to be honest.
The old Abu 500 series are not fitted with a great clutch ,you need to backwind . It's something that comes natural to a lot off older anglers as the clutches back in the 70s 80s were not great.

Rick123

Site Supporter
The old Abu 500 series are not fitted with a great clutch ,you need to backwind . It's something that comes natural to a lot off older anglers as the clutches back in the 70s 80s were not great.

Buddy Agree, but as an anger that has always used a clutch it's come hard to change. But I think I need to get both reels back in action now, the 507 has had hardly any use at all.

trotter2

Buddy Agree, but as an anger that has always used a clutch it's come hard to change. But I think I need to get both reels back in action now, the 507 has had hardly any use at all.
Yes I know,I have a friend who is the same as yourself .No matter how much I show him how to backwind he still prefers to use a modern reel with a clutch. Nothing wrong with that imo. If a clutch is important can I recommend the daiwa 125m it has the best clutch on a closed face reel I have tried. You can always stick with a lighter reel and tape a little weight to the butt of the rod to counter balance

Rick123

Site Supporter
Thanks Trotter but 2 I'll do my best to learn the method. How much lien do you use on yours?

nejohn

Site Supporter
If your 507 hasn't already had the backwind pawl removed I would suggest you do that as the clutch is not worth bothering with and will invariably lock up when you need it most. As has been said the best method is to backwind when you play fish, another big mistake is putting to much line on them and the line bedding in, I put no more than 50m on any closed face reel, other than that they are great for relatively close range stick float fishing

Rick123

Site Supporter
If your 507 hasn't already had the backwind pawl removed I would suggest you do that as the clutch is not worth bothering with and will invariably lock up when you need it most. As has been said the best method is to backwind when you play fish, another big mistake is putting to much line on them and the line bedding in, I put no more than 50m on any closed face reel, other than that they are great for relatively close range stick float fishing

Mine is a newer model 507 two does the removal stand for this John? Is it easy done job John please?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Mine is a newer model 507 two does the removal stand for this John? Is it easy done job John please?
You don't need to do anything to the new MK2 507. It has an anti-reverse switch if you don't wish to rely on the drag.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'll fish it out Sam :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Sam just out of interest when speaking with Tri-cast last week they suggest to me the main line on my new rod should be .14 so 2.5lb Maxima. I know you like me like these little snippets of info. I'm feeing a bit better this evening so hope to get out on Monday maybe on the Trent.

Rick123

Site Supporter

Even though I know about fine line, what do you use a backing for the less of any problems?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I use 2.1 lb on a 501 or 506.
And 2.6 lb on a 507.
70 turns on each for the stick ,and 80 turns for the waggler.

What backing do you use buddy? Can you remember a chap that suggested putting a heavy line on and them covering it with Araidite until hard then put the line on?

trotter2

What backing do you use buddy? Can you remember a chap that suggested putting a heavy line on and them covering it with Araidite until hard then put the line on?
You can get match spools that do not require any fillers. Alternatively if I am using one of the old deep metal spools. I fill them with car body filler and turn them out on a lathe to make shallow spools.

nejohn

Site Supporter
You can buy (or at least you could) shallow aluminium spools for the older models that is what use so never really thought about backing

Dropon

Back in the 70s a mod I did on the old alloy spools was to fill them with car body filler tight to the lip of the spool.After it had gone hard my good friend then cut it out on a lathe ,can’t remember the exact measurement but more was left on the back of the spool..The depth it was cut to was just right for about 50 yards of 2.1 Bayer. The extra weight of the filler helped the balance. Ps Abu 505/506 reels.