My most favorite piece of tackle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Years ago (too many to remember) I bought a Mitchell 410 reel and still use it today. It has higher gearing than its brother the 300 but built to the same standards. All I do is clean it and regrease it once a year.

Whats your most favorite piece of tackle??

Tim

Allan

Hi Tim,
I have an old Intrepid Elite, I don't use it any more but I keep finding myself, taking it out and winding the handle it sort of winds back the clock, to my teenage years.

Allan

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Tim,
Two bits really,a 14ft Bob Church boron match rod which i use with a Mitchell Match,both a bit outdated really,but a beautifuly balanced combination which feels like an extension of my right arm.I don't use either much now,but it's still nice to take them down to the river and run a stick through,just for old times sake.
Peter

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Tim,
Many moons ago as an impoverished student, I sold all my fishing tackle with the exception of a set of Avon scales and an ABU 501 reel. I don't know why I kept them at the time but looking back I'm glad I did.
Since then, my garage has filled up with more and more tackle and the scales come in handy now and again. The 501 still beats most modern reels especially for float fishing.
I used to have a Leeds Centrepin, which was highly rated especially for stick floating - I wish that I'd kept that.

Dave

chrisd

Tim
I have to add that my favourite piece of gear is definately my John Wilson Avon Rod that I bought many many moons ago, when they first came onto the market, in the mid eighties I think.
It has caught all my best fish, from Roach to big Carp, eels, Rainbow and Brown Trout and even Flounders, plaice, Pollack, and Bass.
It is actually eight inches too short 'cause I sat on it one night by the water with a deckchair and cut straight through it, I was to say a little miffed, but it was damaged near the spiggot so I rebuilt it and it functions like new.
It is extremely worse for wear but to replace the rings, the handle and clean it up would destroy all the character which is ingrained into the tool itself.
You may think I am crackers but everyone will agree to fish with a rod that you deem old faithfull and never seems to let you down is confidence building and that gives you an edge, especially when your up against a good fish. Honestly this rod works like magic and always gets the fish and I wouldnt part with it for the world.
On a second note does anyone own, rate the newer(2 types)versions of this rod?
Thanks for reading
Chris d

Terri

Back in the late 70's i bought a 13ft float rod blank and spliced a fly rod tip into the tip section. Whipped a few of the very latest rings on, new fandango linded rings, and varnished it. It was the best rod I had ever used. Sadley we parted company a few years ago as it had got to the point of no repair
Terri

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As we have so many new posters i thought i'd bring this back,anyone care to add their thoughts?
Peter. thumbsup.gif

ray

hiya all, wave.gif has got to be my mitchell 300, still used today and still as good as the day i got it.

the size of my pole doesnt matter.....it gives me lots of pleasure...

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
My favourite piece of tackle has gotta be my spring loaded hooks

Sorry couldn't resist it!!

gotta be my split cane Katanka rod & my "pin"

Alan
You've just been moderated

Rico

I would not be without my Abu 1044, it is old and could do with a good service but it has served me well, i tell it to catch fish, it catches fish a good servant.

Rico

I was wondering what you was meaning Trogg about the springloadedhooks and i searched for them, it seems also a bit of a magician trick to close them up, i would not like to get in the way if something went wrong, yes

MALC

My favorite bit of kit thinking.gif

Think it must be all of it thats why i carry so much all the time.

Malc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
No Malc,
You're just paranoid that if you leave a bit at home,YOU'LL REALLY REALLY NEED IT.we're all the same if we're honest!!!!!!
Peter.

waxlion1

Well what a question!

I think my "fave bit of kit" is my shimano ultegra match rod, why? well it just feels good...no other reason...

Waxlion1
hello.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
My favourite piece of kit is a Daiwa Harrier Ivan Marks 13ft glass rod from the 70's. Caught many ,many fish on this and my biggest on its patner an 1i ft feeder rod , now with my son.
BUT particularly, because tonight I discovered I had left my rod bag with my 3 current float rods and 2 feeder rods, not to mention a whip, umbrella,net handle, banksticks etc,etc.etc. on the bank of the Trent 40 miles away yesterday!
If not for my faithful old Harrier, back in the shed, I wouldnt have been able to give Waxi a run for his money tomorrow.
As it is I'll be able to try a waggler and feeder via my Carp rod and a sidewinder LOL!
May have to slip into Hinckley for an Umbrella!, but the ole Harrier could still defeat the Celt invasion!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Alan Roe

For me it's an old Lee's "LightLee" fiberglass rod it was the first proper rod I owned and I still have it, it's never used nowadays too many precious memories..
In terms of the stuff I use its my centerpins 2x Richard Carters and a Browning "Revolver" all well used and a joy every time I use them.

Cheers
Alan

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
For me its my flask. I couldn't go through a days fishing without a drink of coffee.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As we have so many new posters i thought i'd bring this back once again,
anyone care to add their thoughts?

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Larry

Lazarus
My bit of kit as got to be all my Octoplus set up is's really revolutionised my fishing comfort .Especially my octoplus feeder arm it as that many uses .ie rod rest. ledger rest high feeder arm etc.Ive never been so comfortable when fishing now.

Cheer's Larry

norm

tim
my fav bit of tackle is also a mitchel reel (206s)
i have had that reel for about 18 years and would not swop it for the world

it isint the size of the tiddler that counts

Status
Not open for further replies.