My Ireland Trip 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by tip mon
We fished your "secret lake" from the 7th sept and between the ten of us that was on the trip, we spent most of the week on the lake.
Just out of interest who put you onto the lake ('cos I know there's a few of the ex-pat anglers over there trying to keep it a bit quiet[;)])
Did you fish both sides of the fence?
Did any of the pegs stand out as being the best for catching bream or was more or less the same all the way along.
We found the pegs about mid-way between the fence and that big gorse bush were the most consistent.

Simon

nrayner

It's rather sad that an Irish lake with fish in it has to be kept secret! If it's that bad for the Ireland Angling enthusiast it can't pleasant for the occasional or new fishing tourist to try and find decent fishing. Whatever happened to the days when you could fish anywhere in the border Counties and think that 40lb was a bit disappointing?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Neil it's only secret on 'open' forums - have a look on www.cavanfishing.com and there's loads of details about the place.

It's being kept quiet mainly so the place isn't invaded by the FN's who've wrecked so many waters in Ireland over the last few years. It's not just their illegal fishing but also their habit of leaving huge amounts of litter, lighting fires and having bankside parties.

When we left this year there wasn't so much as a Mars bar wrapper left behind and I hope when we return next year that that will still be the case.

Simon

Last edited:

nrayner

Yeah I know the reasons for the secrecy. That and the fact that previously productive waters have been denuded is the sad thing. I first went to Ireland in 1990 and the fishing then was as I have described it, find a lake, fish it and catch. That's all gone, but Ireland still has it's appeal and I'll definitely be back, just not sure where exactly,

Simon, just to let you know. We was in Ireland from 6th Sept this year stayed in Carrickmacross. We fished your "secret lake" from the 7th sept and between the ten of us that was on the trip, we spent most of the week on the lake. The weights just got better and better and the bream kept coming. We started the week catching the three pounders but towards the back end of the week the average stamp was 5 and a half pound. All of the fish was in pristine condition, and a really deep dark colour. Absoultely Brilliant.

We are back on the 22nd Aug next year, have to go a bit early for various reasons, but we'll put plenty of bait in so the fish should still be in the area when you arrive.

any pics?

tip mon

we found the best peg was immediatly over the fence to halfway to the gorse bush....although bream was caught off every peg. in the middle of the week, the lad that was on the fence peg had over 150lb with back ups of 60-90lb along the rest of the length.

can't remember who put us on to the lake, we've been going there for two or three years now.

and your right, the only reason its a secret is to keep the FN'S away, although saying that it would take some finding if you didn't know the area.

i've got some pics on my phone but having problems getting them on, think one of the other lads who was with us may have some too....watch this space.

p.s. have you ever fished after the bush, that looks like a decent shoreline as well?

Simon R

Site Supporter
p.s. have you ever fished after the bush, that looks like a decent shoreline as well?
I haven't but I know a man who has [;)]
I hope Derek doesn't mind me nicking this from his cavan site.

Originally posted on www.cavanfishing.com :
Date: 25/09/2008
Report: Fished the pegs past the gorse bush, as there were already two anglers setting up in the first pegs... so we gave them plenty of room... These lads packed up and went home after a couple of hours... how did they expect to catch fish, especially bream if they were looking for instant results...

Anyways I had a nice few hours on the slider at about 40 yds with 5 bream up to 5lbs, some decent skimmers and odd good roach to 12ozs and lots of smaller roach and perch...had about 40lbs in total...My mate had 1 bream about 6lbs on the slider and about 20lbs of smaller fish including a few hybrids and decent skimmers...Gave the pike rod an early season dust off and had two fish about 10 and 7 pound on floatfished deadbaits...Nice day out !

So it seems there may well be fish all the way down.
You ever fished the platforms down the far end where the river goes out?

Simon

tip mon

no simon, I've never fished the platforms. To be honest we ony noticed them this year, but didn't give them a try becasue we was on a lot of fish. I'll have a look at them next year...........only 41 weeks to go. Have you fished the other lake? The one where the new turning area is, where you open the gate to go up to the derelict house. We had a look at it, it seemed high, but there was a lot of fish topping. Just wondering if it's worth a couple of days.

Simon R

Site Supporter
That'll be this spot then?
Cootehill00002.jpg

Bankside access is the problem (as usual) with this lake - there are some areas of clear bank on the far side but you'd need a boat to get to them - there's no vehicular access (well not according to my Irish OS maps anyway)

Have a word with Gary (Baraghy Boy) on the Cavan site - he's had his boat on there and spotted bream too - I think he's planning on fishing it next year once the water warms a little.

Simon

jowter

It's good to see someone has found a few fish there. Some amazing scenery & a few good nights in the pubs. You guys look to have battled the elements and come out smiling. I hope you get some good conditions for your next trip and get to post some good photos up.
Me & a couple of mates took a big cruiser + fishing punt out onto Derg / Shannon for the 1st week in september just after that heavy rain. I'm no two-session-a-week match angler but after 35 yrs at the game I can tie a hook on the end. Don't ask how many bream we caught between us, you won't get an answer, there isn't one!
We tried pre-baiting, we tried night fishing, we tried fishing in the rain, then we went up the river to see if we could find one there. I've not visited the Shannon before but I was dissappointed, it's mile after mile of dense reeds along both banks with just a few pegs downsteam of Portumna - no-one catching much there, and a few platforms a bit further up.
We did find one likely spot near the Bannagher marina but with the water up & only one possible peg it looked difficult - then the outboard packed up & we nearly got shipwrecked against a big rock on the edge of the marina due to dodgy rowlocks on the punt. Best sport was taking turns at trotting for small roach off the back of the cruiser one morning for about 7lbs. I did manage one 15lb pike :)
We parked the cruiser back at Portumna, got back in the car & fished the small cut at the end of the river thursday night (no bites) & baited for friday morning. I spent the last hour long-trotting (30 yards) with the bailarm off for six rudd on a size 18 single caster.
Maybe we'd have done better without the rain, maybe we should have driven to a few lakes (but we'd got the boat for a week) maybe we should have taken Nuddy for an all-expenses-paid-week to show us how to do it?
Maybe in a few years I'll go sight seeing in Ireland & take the tackle for a hour or two of gentle angling but the reports of big boxes of fish labelled "Irish Bream" being sold regulary on Billingsgate fish market don't do much to inspire confidence.
I sincerely hope that no-one does as bad as we did and that things are on the up!

nrayner

Jowter

We did better than you, but not much. Bream? What are they? lol!. The mid/lower Shannon seems to have suffered more than many areas of Ireland and it has boiled down to secret societies with the knowledge letting you in to the few remaining fishy areas (if you can keep a secret). Very, very sad.

Still love the place though, and will cetainly go back. Just hope we can find a secret society that knows a few pegs with fish from a clean bank that doesn't need a long walk or a platform and waders.[:(]

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by jowter

Me & a couple of mates took a big cruiser + fishing punt out onto Derg / Shannon for the 1st week in september just after that heavy rain.
That was the same week we were there (we arrived 30th August) and we were getting seriously worried about the levels - two of the lakes we fished (Drumlona & Barnagrow) were completely inaccessible the week before we arrived.
Pity you didn't drive your cruiser north to Carrick and then take the canal towards the Erne - Garadice fished quite well this year as did some parts of the canal.

Lads I know, who've visited Derg and Portumna in the past, up until a couple of years ago, now go further north - Mullingar, Carrickmacross, Cootehill etc etc - 'cos the Shannon simply isn't worth fishing any more.
Personally I think the fish are still there but, mainly IMO due to the clarity of the water, not inhabiting the places they used to frequent. There are vast areas of water that never see an angler and other lakes that are simply inaccessible.

What anybody going to Ireland these days needs is local knowledge - unfortunately the days of just turning up and catching netfuls from any lake you fancy have probably gone forever. We've been fishing the same areas around Cootehill since the mid-'90s so have a fairly good idea which lakes will produce under varying conditions. However having said that places do change from year to year and the most important thing is to get regular updates from guys who live and fish in the area you're heading for.

In these internet days that's a lot easier than it used to be fortunately (and a damm site cheaper than making international phone calls[;)]) - with sites like this one and cavanfishing.com you can a get good idea of how places are fishing, what's getting caught and which lakes to head for.

We've booked for next year already - six of us making the trip over - only 302 days to go[:D][:D]

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by DerekG
[:D] Love your enthusiasm mate!!
Just giving you plenty of notice Derek so you don't end up spending all week doing that W word again[:p][:D]

Simon

DerekG

Oh don't worry I'll definitely be joining you at least twice next year even if that means conjuring up the most amazing sick note!! [:D]

JohnConnolly

Originally posted by Simon R

Originally posted by DerekG
[:D] Love your enthusiasm mate!!
Just giving you plenty of notice Derek so you don't end up spending all week doing that W word again[:p][:D]

Simon

Yep, Derek is renowned for the w word alright[:D] I've oftened called him that.

DerekG

Oi you lot that's not very nice! [:0]

I only let the missus call me that, after I've been bold..,. [:D]

Last edited:

The welder

Hi Si. I have sent on your report to Selwyn, bet he can recognize the secret lake? I hope! Looks like you had a good one. Been working away allot so not been on line but back now for a week or so. Intend to get my lap top on the go soon with the dongle so look out. As for the match scene this year in Cootehill, well not so good for us managed a few sections between us. Fished next to Bob Nudd twice on the Carrigallen beat me both time, no surprise there, but what a nice guy, had my own close up five hour running commentary on how to Pole fish, worth a bob or two that, Pardon the pun. We had a really good time in Gowna back in June 48Lb of Roach on the pole was the best weight from our group, but everyone caught during the week. What a fantastic place to stay, the Pikers Lodge, we all came back with fatter bellies, great food and accommodation. Looking forward to next easter on the Classic me and Sel as usual, hope to get up there again next time. I will tell where Rory O'Neil had his 27Kilo of roach from on the pole if you share the secret lake with me a nd Sel, LOL. Hope to see you there again soon.

Regards

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.