My Ireland Trip 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
This could be a long read so if you aint got thirty minutes or so to spare, just look at the pictures instead.[:p]

Id been counting down the days until the annual trip to Ireland almost since our return last year, but the last couple of weeks didnt half drag, although Dave did help to lighten the mood texting me little ditties like Hey diddly dee, well soon be across the sea. [:D]

It was the same group of lads that made the trip two years ago, except for Rondo who decided not to grace us with his presence this year. Myself, Dave, Mac, Dougy, Stuey and Neil would be travelling across in my car and a hire van with Mally and Norm travelling in their own transport. Mally & Norm were also staying in different digs to us when Dave had originally phoned to book the accommodation our guesthouse was full, so Mally & Norm had booked into The Beeches (Vera Greenan) on Station Road. It was five minutes walk further from the main pubs (Bannons, West End Bar etc) but still in the town. As it turned out Ken (the karaoke king from Bolton) had cancelled so there was plenty of spare room at our place.

It seems every time the other lads visit Cootehill the weather goes completely t1ts up two years ago we had six inches of rain the fortnight before we went and it never let up after we arrived either. Two years previously theyd had frosts in October and unseasonably cold weather all week and true to form two or three weeks before we arrived the heavens opened and a months rain fell in four days, leading to the normally placid Dromore and Annalee rivers becoming raging torrents and breaking their banks in a number of places and lots of the connected lakes becoming inaccessible.

We were getting the overnight ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast again, Dave picked the van up on the Friday morning and then collected the bait from the tackle shop 12 gallons of casters, six gallons of maggots and three sacks of brown crumb. We wouldnt normally bother taking that much with us cos it becomes a chore looking after it all but the current exchange rate is so rubbish that we had no option really. Dave picked up everybodys gear and then set off for Helmsley with Stu to collect Dougy, via our local worm farm to collect nine kilos of worm. Me and Neil headed down to Macs and phoned Mally to say we were on our way. Fortunately the anticipated heavy traffic around Leeds and Manchester failed to materialise and, despite Dave taking a wrong turning in Liverpool and leading us on a sight-seeing tour of Albert Dock, we arrived at the ferry port at 7pm.

We had an hour and a half until the check-in time so rather than hang around the port we decided to go and have a swift half first. Found last years drinking establishment (The Old Colonial) but it looked shut so we continued on and found another pub called The Dock a great improvement on last year decent lager and cheap too.

Once on board the boat we handed Mac our 50 each for the weeks pools money and drew names for our teams of three competition I drew Mac and Neil, with Dave being partnered with Stuey and Dougy. A few more pints ensued before we hit the sack and got five hours or so kip before being rudely awakened by the ships tannoy at 5.30 the following morning. Mally was worried about getting lost on the way but hed carefully programmed his sat nav and sat in his van on top of the ferry he proudly announced that it was 53 miles to Cootehill I knew something was wrong cos its nearly 90 miles normally. Sure enough all the way to Co Cavan his sat nav kept telling him to turn around until he turned it off. Later examination showed hed actually put Cotehill into the system which is a village in Cumbria.

Because Dave was in a high-topped van he ended up on the bottom deck of the ferry, whereas the rest of us were on the open car-deck right at the top of the boat. Consequently he got off the boat some twenty minutes or so before us. The main motorway through Belfast was shut (still clearing up after the floods the week before?) and we were diverted into the city centre. In typical Irish style there were no further Diverted Traffic signs and we spent an interesting few minutes touring various suburbs of Belfast before locating the motorway again.

We soon arrived at The Manse in Cootehill and after a cup of tea and a change of clothes we were soon raring to go. Wed already decided that wed spending the first couple of days on our secret lake from last year. Soon found the little white cottage and also found that somebody had recently resurfaced the road, and constructed a little car-park adjacent to another lough at the end of the track. Dave and Mally continued through the gate up the rough track, whilst I, not wanting to redesign the underside of my car, left it in the car-park and followed on foot its only a two minute walk.
day1oldfarm.jpg
day1derryview.jpg
Wed already agreed to let Mally & Norm have the two pegs in the field below the farm house, whilst the rest of us would fish over the other side of the fence. We managed to squeeze all six of us into the space between the fence and a large waterside gorse bush, although the end peg looked a little dodgy due to the amount of weed growth. The lake was probably six inches higher than last year, which meant wed be sitting three or four feet further back.
day1derry1.jpg
I drew the end peg (six) and due to the strength of the breeze (which was blowing straight at us) quickly found that I couldnt loose-feed maggots or casters beyond the far-side of the weeds and therefore would be forced to stick to the feeder. We all started catching fish fairly quickly roach and hybrids to about half a pound plus a few of those little nuisance perch. We werent really expecting to catch bream since, last year, the only ones that had been caught were from the peg adjacent to the wood which Norm was fishing - and hed seen no sign of any so I was more than a little surprised when Stu on the next peg to me hooked something that pulled back a bit, resulting in a fin-perfect bream of about 3lb.
day1stu.jpg
Id already lost a few chunky hybrids (plus a couple of feeders and numerous hook-lengths) to the weedbed in front of me although it was getting smaller as I pulled bits in - when I hooked a proper fish too. Unsurprisingly it buried itself into the biggest clump of weeds it could find, I tried all the usual methods of freeing fish, pulling from different directions, slack lining to see if it would swim out before, in desperation, handlining to pull for a break. Just as I thought the line was about to go I suddenly felt a kick and the fish was free and I slid the net under a nice chunky bream of about the size of the one Stu had caught.

The lads on the middle pegs were flying on the waggler, although Mac was certainly catching the fastest, Dave snared a bream on the feeder and I reckoned it would be close between Stu, Dave and Mac regarding top weight. It turned out Mac had done enough 26lb 5oz exactly 3lbs in front of Dave, who was a further 2lb in front of Stu. Dougy and Neil nearest the wall had 11lb+ each and I weighed an ounce shy of 9lb although if I could have weighed weed in it would have been nearer 50lb. We weighed just over 100lb between us, which wasnt bad for a first day
day1mactopweight.jpg
day1dave.jpg
We were returning the following day and, as usual when we fish a venue for more than one day, all moving up two pegs. Since wed caught a couple of bream we decided to bung some prebait in to try and tempt a few more into the area so 150 balls or so went in along the six pegs. Mally decided he and Norm wouldnt be joining us the following day since there were too many bites. [:0] Saturday night in Cootehill is always busy and none of the pubs are busier than Bannons, since the owner Gene Bannon gets together with some other musicians for the summer Jazz Sessions and a good night it was too.

Sunday morning there were one or two thick heads at the breakfast table but a bit of fresh air (and the smell coming from the back of the van) soon perked everyone up. We were soon back down to the lake and set up onto our new pegs. Id only been fishing maybe 20 minutes when I snared a bream, followed by Dougy, Mac and Neil all getting one too.[:D]
day2derry2.jpg
A few minutes later I was winding in a small roach when everything went solid before I was forced to start backwinding furiously pike on! Wed hooked plenty of pike during both this trip and on previous visits and generally one of the three things would happen, youd get broken, youd get bit off or the pike would spit the fish it had grabbed out and youd end up winding in a rather poorly looking little roach or hybrid.

This fish just started plodding off for the middle of the lake and I was just about to release my line-clip when it leapt out of the water and gave an impressive display of tailwalking Bloody Hell said Stu on the next peg Youve hooked a fecking marlin! Its runs got slower and slower and after probably 15 minutes or so I was able to slip the net under the fish it only just fit too! When I had a look at the fish my 0.14 hooklength was coming out between its teeth on the side of its head and as soon as I tried to open its mouth it shook its head and sliced straight through the line. I estimated it at about six or seven pounds and dropped it in the keepnet to recover. Ive still no idea how I managed to land that fish Id like to think it was a tribute to my phenomenal angling ability but I think its more likely that I was a spawny git![:p]

Ten-thirty am and Id already caught more than Id managed in eight hours yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day too probably a little bit too bright and still for bream but odd ones kept getting caught, together with loads of bits. By lunchtime everybody had caught a few, except Stu next to me on peg one. Our feeders were landing no more than three or four yards apart but it was as if there was a wall erected between our pegs with a notice on top saying No Bream Past This Point
day2derry3.jpg
By the time we came to weigh in at 6pm it looked like anyone of three would have top weight Mac and I both had six bream and Dougy had eight I knew Mac had a lot more bits than me but I had the bonus pike. As it turned out the pike made all the difference it weighed 7lb 4oz and helped me to a weight of 45lb 12oz, Dougy was a bream behind with 42lb 8oz and Mac a skimmer further back with 41lb 8oz everybody had good weights though Neil had 31lb, Dave nearly 28lb and Stu (who didnt manage to snare a bream all day) had a few ounces short of 20lb.
day2simon.jpg
day2doug.jpg
Following day we were heading for Drumlona, so after carrying out our peg draw we headed up there to bung a bit of prebait in. The track up to the lake gets worse every year, it could definitely do with a spot of resurfacing, fortunately Dave managed to avoid any ditches. The level of the lake was unbelievably high even higher than it had been two years ago, we certainly wouldnt be fishing the pole tomorrow and, unless we had a good wind off our backs, the waggler would be out of the question too. After putting in about 25-30 balls per peg we went to the Ducome for a couple of pints. We hadnt seen Mally & Norm all day so Dave gave em a ring to find out where theyd been theyd fished Killyvaghan until eleven and then moved to Drumlona for the afternoon that gave em a new nickname for the week in best Ghostbusters style - Who youre gonna call? FISHCHASERS[:D]

Following morning was bright and breezy although there were a few ominous looking black clouds in the distance, together with the sound of distant thunder. We all caught plenty of fish but the vast majority of them were only around the 4oz mark good fun on the waggler but a bit of a drag on the feeder. I think Drumlona has been low most of the year and as a consequence there was a lot of weed on top of the first shelf -we all lost fish on it. The frequent heavy showers didnt help things either.
day3drumrain.jpg
day3drumview.jpg
From where I was sitting I reckoned Dougy was probably in front he had no more fish than rest of us but hed had a few of the better 8oz roach and hybrids.
day3drumfish-on.jpg
That proved to be the case Dougy weighing in 18.5lbs, beating Stu by just over a pound and Dave by 2lb nobody had under 12lbs though.
day3doug.jpg
That night we thought wed treat ourselves to something other than the local takeaways and had a walk up to the top of the main street to the White Horse Hotel. They used to do some cracking, reasonably priced bar meals but the combination of Irish inflation and the current exchange rate means theyre nowhere near as cheap anymore. Steaks that used to be 12-15 are now 27 which is over 22, so we went for the roast dinners instead which were around 15 or so and very good they were too. Whilst we were in the White Horse, Ant from Stoke called in, hed had a couple of cracking days on Corravoo and had just prebaited Killyvaghan ready for a session on the big rock tomorrow. Corravoo was on our list to fish this year but as Ant confirmed it was flooded with only a single fishable peg next year perhaps.

Originally wed planned to have two days on Drumlona but it had shown no sign of improving during the day so we decided to move onto another of our bankers Barnagrow. We rolled in the car-park, just after 8am and were shortly joined by a couple of Belgian guys who were staying at CJs and who we actually met at the same venue last year. They were going out in a boat to the far bank whilst we commenced the Falklands style yomp, along the very uneven bankside path. Whilst chatting to the Belgian guys they mentioned that the week before wed arrived the bankside path had been underwater with the water level lapping the underside of the bottom step of the style the amount of green algae on the rocks, way above the waterline showed they werent exaggerating and Barnagrow is basically land-locked.
day4barnrain.jpg
As usual we skipped the first few pegs, since theyre the shallowest and used pegs 4 9 (Mally & Norm dropped into two and three even though I told em to keep walking) Its a fair old hike to peg nine (which I drew) but after last year I knew that eight and nine were normally the pegs to be on, being deeper than those around them. I was beginning to think I was wrong though after catching very little for the first hour and hearing conversations from further along the bank that Stu had a dozen and Dougy fifteen fish. I finally started to get a few fish, chunky little hybrids (up to probably about a pound) and skimmers of around the same size, Neil was catching fish of a similar stamp on peg 8 and I assumed so was everybody else.
day4barnflat.jpg
It was a strange day weather wise - we had rain, bright sunshine and the wind changed direction through 180 degrees during the course of the day at times dropping away to nothing when there wouldnt be a ripple on the water. I was quite pleased to weigh 21lb 6oz at the end of what had been a fairly slow day, bites wise Neil beat me by just 14oz on the next peg. Neil had also had a Perch Free Day (worth a bonus point on our complicated scoring system), or at least he thought hed managed one until Mac picked a perch out of my net and slipped it into Neils whilst he wasnt looking he did own up later. Although the lads on the other pegs had a lot more fish than Neil and me, they were considerably smaller and all the rest of the weights were between 16lb 9oz and 17lb 12oz. It was forecast to be windier the following day and, since Barnagrow tends to be better with a good blow on it, we decided to give it another bash the following day.
day4barnneil.jpg
day4barnsimon.jpg
day4barnstu.jpg
It was certainly windier the next day 2 foot high waves rolling across the lake straight at us plus it rained on and off for most of the day. Perfect conditions for the fish except nobody seemed to tell them that. Only Dougy on peg 6 was picking up decent hybrids with any regularity the rest of us having to be content with roach, little perch and occasional little hybrids. The waves seemed to get bigger as the day went on crashing up against my box and filing both the base unit and my front drawers with a couple of inches of water.
day5barnchoppy.jpg
As expected Dougy won his second match of the week with 22lb 2oz, Stu was three pound behind him and Neil another three pound behind that Dave couldnt even top ten pounds from peg eight a long walk for not a lot of fish.
day5barndoug.jpg
We had a quick council of war once back in the car-park and decided we might as well return to our secret lake just about everywhere else was flooded and at least we were guaranteed bites on the waggler or pole if the bream didnt have a go. We knocked some prebait up before leaving Barnagrow arent them cordless drills bloody brilliant![:D] While we were mixing a couple of guys from the Stratford area pulled up in an elderly Volvo estate with a boat on top. They were intending to have a mooch about the lake with the fishfinder and if they found any shoals of fish close to the shore come back and have a go for them in the morning. Fortunately its only a short drive from Barnagrow to the other lake, so we soon had the prebaiting done (the fact it was tipping down at the time probably sped us up a bit too) and we shot off to the Ducome for a couple of beers.

Walking into the Ducome, Paddy gave us our normal welcome Now boys, hows the fishing and a guy at the bar spun round and asked So which one of yous is Simon? before introducing himself as Gary (Baraghy Boy on the cavanfishing site) who lives by the side of Lough Baraghy and owns numerous boats, which are available to hire for a small fee (I think he said a pint of Guinness) Got a lot of useful information from Gary and I think we may well make use of his services next year.
That night we decided to try Murphs a bistro that opened a couple of years ago above one of the pubs in the town they had a three course meal on a 2nd anniversary special for 18.95 which we all went for and was very good.

Following morning was lovely and mild, little or no wind and just a hint that the sun might come out (and it did[:D]).
day6derryview.jpg

Wed all moved along two pegs again from the previous session on here which meant I was now on peg 4, with Stu to my left and Dougy to my right.
day6derrybank.jpg

We hadnt been fishing long when Dougy caught a bream, followed by me and then Stu. At one point I think me and Stu had four fish and Dougy had eight then they just stopped in front of me. I was having to wait a long time for my bites but when I got them they were almost always bream. Normally on this lake when the bream arrive the little fish scatter so you generally know youre likely to catch one cos your swim goes dead after the first couple of hours I never had a small fish. The bites were generally rubbish too the tip moving just an inch or so and I had to keep rotating baits to get bites every combination of maggot, worm, caster and sweetcorn was tried but I was still only getting about three fish an hour. Dave weighed one of the fish midway through the day and it went a couple of ounces over 3lb meaning youre gonna need 30+ fish for 100lb.

I finished with 24 bream, three or four big skimmers, a big hybrid and a few assorted bits for a total of 85lb 5oz the best weight Ive had in Ireland since we got amongst the big hybrids in Lough Ramor a few years ago.
day6derrysimon.jpg
Dougy finished with 13 bream for 48lb 4oz although he did have a while on the waggler to boost his weight a bit
day6derrydoug.jpg
Stu finished with six for 27lb 1oz but was pipped by Mac who had almost 34lb from peg one, mainly on the waggler
day6derrystu.jpg
day6derrymac.jpg
Only Neil on end peg six failed to snare a bream although he did have almost 20lb of bits. We bunged some more prebait in before we left and redrew the pegs so wed all fish a peg that we hadnt drawn previously I was less than impressed to get peg 1.

We met up with Mally & Norm back in town, theyd been to Annaghmakerig a venue me and Dave had vowed never to fish again and had watched Ant weigh nearly 90lb of bream theyd had a couple too and had prebaited it for another session in the morning.

Next morning dawned overcast, cold and windy just as we arrived at the lake it started to rain and it never stopped all day.[:(] There were still a few bream about though, Neil got one first chuck and Dave and Mac had a couple each early on.
Lunchtime-ish Stus brolly decided it had spent quite enough time on the bankside and did a back-flip into the lake about 30 feet out just the end of the spike showing above the water. He managed to cast over it and retrieve it eventually, but in doing so a couple of the spokes snapped and it wasnt long before the next gust of wind turned it inside out and trashed it.
day7derrystubrolly.jpg
day7derrystubrolly2.jpg

Undeterred Stu removed the fabric from the frame, cut a larger hole in the end and wore it as a poncho for the rest of the day with one-eye closed youd have sworn it was Clint Eastwood in waterproofs.[:p]
Shortly afterwards my brolly spike snapped, undeterred I replaced it with a bankstick that snapped twice. At that point I gave up and just got wet very wet.[:(]

To make matters worse I was struggling to get a bite on the waggler (on a peg that had yielded over 30lb the day before) , although when I looked over the fence I spotted a possible reason the little ditch that runs alongside it had become a raging torrent, staining the water in front of me a dirty peaty colour.
day7derrystream.jpg

We were due to finish at 6pm but when Dave asked about three-ish if anybody had any objections to jacking in at four nobody did.
Just as hed said it he started catching bream again five in five chucks I think and we decided to hang on till half-four. My groundbait by now had disintegrated into a featureless gloop and only by jamming the feeder full of pellets could I get any sort of feed into my peg.

We wrapped in at 4.30 and Dave finished with 11 bream for 44lb, nobody else topped 20lb Mac and Stu got four bream each for 19lb 4oz and 18lb 11oz respectively, Dougy had 16lb of bits, Neil had a couple of bream for 15lb and I only managed a paltry 11lb of small fish.
day7derrydave.jpg
day7derrymac.jpg
day7derrystu.jpg

We were gonna have a fifth day on the lake but I think wed all seen enough of the place and decided wed go dry out in the Ducome a little and figure out where to go next. It took some effort to get back up the hill to the van in just two trips each, everything weighing twice as much as it did on the way down but we made it. Dave phoned Mally to see how theyd got on at Annaghmakerig and they were already in the Ducome. They were planning on having a day off tomorrow all there gear was sodden and I think theyd ran out of enthusiasm so we decided wed go and jump in their pegs at Annaghmakerig (without prebaiting) and just hope thered be a few fish about.

So it was our last night in Cootehill Neil, Dougy and Stu were heading over to Murphs for kangaroo steaks all round, the rest of us just scoffed another Chinese, topped up with copious quantities of black stuff. I cant remember what time we got back in but I do remember Neil complaining that we woke him up singing our way up the stairs. alcoholic2.gif

It was overcast and windy when we woke but at least not raining, so after a quick breakfast we packed our suitcases and parked them in one of the empty bedrooms to pick up later and made the short journey to Annaghmakerig. The pegs that had been fished the last couple of days were either side of the cattle grid so at least we only had a short walk. Going in to the last day the overall leader of our week long competition was Dougy on 45 pts, followed by myself on 41 and Mac on 38. To win the week I needed Dougy to have a major blow-out but hes Mr Consistent and I couldnt really see it happening. The team contest was a lot closer though me, Mac and Neil leading by just over 11lbs. Wed been leading since the second day but everytime we looked like gaining an unassailable lead the other team would pull a few pounds back.
day8annaview.jpg
I drew peg four (just to the right of cattle grid), with Dave to my left and Stu to the right. I had a very slow start with probably only half-a-dozen fish in the first hour, Dave was getting skimmers from the off and Dougy had started like a train too. We had a constant stream of visitors too, four guys whod just arrived came down for a look (they were stopping at The Birches and Mally told them where to find us), followed at lunchtime by Derek (from cavanfishing.com), another Derek (Adelines who does our breakfast every day husband) and an ex-pat English guy who was checking out the fishable pegs for a 20 peg match that was planned for the following day.
My peg improved as the day went on constant casting getting some bait into my peg a nice stream of chunky skimmers (all around the pound mark) coming to hand at intervals. Because the water level was well up and we were sat in the trees there was all sorts of duff information getting passed backwards and forwards. When Neil called time at 4pm I reckoned I probably had 15-20lb but was sure that both Doug and Dave had considerably more. Doug weighed first an ounce short of 19lb
day8annadoug.jpg

Stu managed just over 11lb and I was shocked to find my skimmers had weighed a bit more than I thought and went almost 25lbs.
day8annasimon.jpg
Dave had more fish than me but less skimmers and his 20lb was only good enough for second spot.
day8annadave.jpg

With Mac and Neil weighing 11lb 12oz and 10lb 12oz respectively it meant that Dougy had clinched the championship by a single point but that wed won the team champs by just over eight pounds.
day8anna.jpg
We headed back to Cootehill to get changed, get a wash and brush up and then head off for the ferry. Mac (as usual) was complaining he was hungry but he cheered up a bit when he realised that Michael, our landlord, had knocked up a load of sandwiches and made pots of tea and coffee. The journey up to Belfast was uneventful; we had a couple of pints in a roadside pub just at the entrance to the port before checking in and boarding the ferry.

Ferry was a bit of a rock n roller on the way home but certainly didn't stop me from getting a few hours kip. Following morning we were greeted by the bright lights of Birkenhead and we knew it was all over for another year.
day9birk.jpg

All in all it was a cracking week compared to two years ago when conditions were similar we caught getting on for double the number of fish (1069lb 13oz including 94 bream between us only 50 pounds off half-a-ton) and I had my best weeks weight since 2001. If conditions had been anything like normal and enabled us to fish places like Corravoo or fish Drumlona properly I reckoned we could have had another four or five hundred pounds.

Only 363 days until next years trip.

I do hope this report wont drive a wedge between Mac and Neil and Stu weve had some cracking drying days since we got back aint we.

Simon

Good report that simon,will have to get myself there one year.Saying that,its a log way to go to get fish that are on my doorstep[;)]
Nice to see dave in amongst the slabs.Havnt seen him for ages.

CASPER

Excellent report simon and we have had a few good drying days since we came back.

Jimmy P

Sounds like a great trip, the weather didn't seem hold out but it looked like you had some dry days and some good fishing. I want to visit ireland some time in the future.

silverfox

Nice report and pictures gents.Realy enjoyed the read.That bit about a wall betwen stu and yourself and him not catching any bream because of it, happened to me in holland a couple of years ago.lads either side of me were bagging up, but me ????? If i remember i had three.!!!!
Funny old game fishing.

Bream are funny fish mate,we fish the tees,8 ft apart and 1 of us will get double the other,never catch similar weights.

The Big Fella

Hi,

Top report that!

It looks like you had good mixed weights and that is good to see!

We went that area afew times and once we stayed at Cjs gaff plus
went in his tackle shop and found him the most inept owner we ever stayed at in 12 years!

For once I actually put a written report in to the AW saying if hes a gold star award place you can kiss my arse.....

What reason you may ask? as you may have liked the plonker?

Well for a first off for a place that relies on tourism and anglers over there all year round! especially someone who owns a tackle shop you expect a bit of knowledge of angling in the area.

So for a place in Irlenad that is also reguarly in flood conditions you would have a plan B surely if its your livelihood?

Not this muppet he took us to show us the places and venues that you fished when the water was down about 6 feet?????[:D][:D]

He actually pointed and said you see that out there you really need to be fishing there! and I swear seriosly I would have needed a yacht to have got to those pegs??[:eek:)]

Foe info one of these places was Barnagrow and you could not even walk in the trees very easily it was that high + drumlona teh steep hill just went down teh track into the water......no get to the bottom of the hill and turn left or right it was impossible etc.

Now this was maybe freaky weather but as we know how much rain they get there there is always a backwater or rock you can get to...

I bet most people reading this post know in their own area that if there is some extra water on you could all name 2-3 back up venues maybe canals, backwaters, or lakes with slowly shelving banks etc.

Not this "Rodney" it was all if the water was down,thats a good place to fish etc etc.

We ended up disregarding "Gonzo" and found Ramor on the match stretch ourselves and duly bagged up. 6 days he was clueless about where to go and he is supposed to have his finger on the pulse??

Next there were 4 of us and he we asked him to sort out a boat that was suitable for 2-3 anglers with our kit and we said we would hire it for the full duration......... not cheap 12-15.00 euros per day

jesus we got a punt suitable for 1-2 people with an old engine on it, and we asked him where he wanted us to launch it from??

He duly says here is the best place and I swear it was about 2 1/2 feet deep which with a bit of kit and 2 anglers in the prop was on the floor and duly bust the prop........

CJ then wanted to charge us for the repair? We aint tight but considering we had said we wanted a proper sized anglers boat suitable for 3 anglers and 2 x kit so we do it runs and paid for 7 days which we have had loads of times at Portumna from Dave Harris we thought he was joking on his little bait boat[;)]

Plus bear in mind he told us where to launch it from we were not happy. So we surveyed the damage, as my dads an engineer by trade we thought it would just be the split pin that had bust - no problem.....

Nope this muppeeto had replaced the easily breakable split pin previously with a stainless heavy duty split pin which you couldnt shear so it ripped the prop up...

So the guys previous fudge caused more damage and he wanted us to replace to make good his prop. The words how about rearranging the following "sound, b*******, hows" was duly offered.

It never ruined our holiday but that is one place in all the 12-13 years of going ireland that I have ever had the cause to complain about on my return.......

AW who had had our business for probably 8 years by then decided that we were being unreasonable and it was sour grapes cause the river levels were up and we never caught much??

I said twice in letters well 160lbs of hybrids will do off Ramor if its been a grueller and its sour grapes!

However ireland overall is still a nice place but i now find holland a better nore relaxing break but Simon now I seen these bags appearing again it takes it back to the good old days when at least bites were regular etc

Good luck on next years trip but stay clear in my humble opinion of the numpty in the fishing shop that knows more about the end of a gun and shooting pigeons than seeing anglers right.......

His info is about as useful as saying when you come to the U.K that you want to try mallory park and Whiteacres and theres 200 mile between em heheheheheheheeh[;)][:eek:)]

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
The owner of the place we stay at knows nowt about fishing - but we stay there for the convienience, 'cos it's only two minutes walk to the nearest pub[:D]

Actually I quite like CJ, he's a miserly old sod (always has his thumb in the glass when he's measuring out the casters[:p]) but he has put us onto fish once or twice over the years - even though we've never stayed at his place. We always go over at roughly the same time of year and every year he would tell us to go fish Annaghmakerig - purely 'cos he wanted plenty of bait to go in before the festival[:p] After we told him to f*** off lots of times he stopped doing it[:D]

Funny enough this year when it was fishing quite well, he never mentioned it to us.

Talking about boats - he fetched us one down to Killyvaghan last year, which we used to prebait from and didn't charge us a penny[:D]
We've got other options for boat hire should we need one in the future anyway (thanks Gary[;)])

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by CASPER

Excellent report simon and we have had a few good drying days since we came back.
Is that your one post for this year Stu? [:D][:p]
Six posts in four years is some acheivement.

Simon

hempy

Alan
Great report Simon and nice pics aswell...only one problem, a year to wait now[:(]

Pleased you caught as i had been worried for you regarding the water levels. Like me do you think that Ireland is on the way back with a return of proper bream ??? What is baffling though is those 4 and 5 pounders are not 1 or 2 years old so where have they beeen hiding ???

Onc again Simon, a great read and thanks for it[:D]

JohnConnolly

Great report Simon, best read I've had in ages.

Bream ARE on the way back, no doubt about it, not everywhere but certain parts of the Erne system seem to eb coming back. Also Tench appearing too :)

Good article in this weeks Angling Times about the Erne system which suggest things are getting better.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by hempy
Pleased you caught as i had been worried for you regarding the water levels. Like me do you think that Ireland is on the way back with a return of proper bream ???
In some places I don't actually think the bream went away, although I do think their feeding habits have changed in waters affected by the zebra mussels.

The problem is people are still going to venues that they caught fish from twenty odd years ago and IMO a lot of these venues only had fish present 'cos there was anglers bait constantly going in ('cos the car-park or access point was close by)
Less anglers means less bait going in and therefore no reason for the fish to visit those areas.

Talking to guys with fish-finders over the last couple of years, in the lakes that were always renowned bream waters the fish are still there but they'll often find them sitting 15 feet deep in 30 feet of water or way out in the middle of the lakes way beyond casting distance.

I don't think we'll ever see the numbers of visiting anglers in Ireland that were there 20 or so years ago though - most of the younger generation can't see any reason to go - they'd rather go to Whiteacres to catch carp and since the abolition of the close-season you don't need to visit in order to just go fishing. In addition it's getting to be a bloody expensive place to visit (mainly depending on how many beers you drink[:p])

Little known and difficult to access lakes (like the one we fished this year) are the best way to find consistent bream sport IMO, and thanks to guys we've met over there I'm hoping we'll get to access one or two more new ones in the future.

Simon

CASPER

now, now simon.considering going again next year, with you and dave if there is a place

breadflake

Site Supporter
great report Simon..........
we are not going this year, again.
but you have got the "juices flowing" if you will excuse the expression,
We will be there next year.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by CASPER

now, now simon.considering going again next year, with you and dave if there is a place
I'm sure we'll be able to squeeze you in somewhere Stu - we got five or six keen at the moment - September 11th is the date I think.

Simon

tip mon

Simon, just to let you know. We was in Ireland from 6th Sept this year stayed in Carrickmacross. We fished your "secret lake" from the 7th sept and between the ten of us that was on the trip, we spent most of the week on the lake. The weights just got better and better and the bream kept coming. We started the week catching the three pounders but towards the back end of the week the average stamp was 5 and a half pound. All of the fish was in pristine condition, and a really deep dark colour. Absoultely Brilliant.

We are back on the 22nd Aug next year, have to go a bit early for various reasons, but we'll put plenty of bait in so the fish should still be in the area when you arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.