My Ireland Trip 2002 Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The concluding part of our trip to Ireland

After getting a few bream from Killyvaghan on the Sunday, we decided to give it another go on the Monday, which, by the way, is a Bank Holiday in Ireland. Temperatures were even higher, up into the 80's I'd guess and there was barely a breath of wind.

Peter caught a 12oz hybrid early on and then four of us caught bream almost at the same time, as though a shoal had moved through our swims without really stopping to feed. Richie caught a second almost sraight after and then everything went quiet again. (Well quiet as far as the fishing was concerned - a couple of Irish families had parked up in the car-park away to our right and after a loud picnic, all the kids decided to go paddling / swimming - actually I think Josh quite fancied joining them)

I caught another bream about an hour later and by now Dave was getting a bit suicidal! He still hadn't had a bite on the feeder, so decided to have a play on the waggler. He caught a few roach and perch but the skimmers that we'd caught the year before were nowhere to be seen. Josh & Richie then both caught bream within minutes of each other, but as far as bream action was concerned that was it.

Dave, Richie and Josh then went off for a drive, to see if any other anglers were about but other than the occasional roach on the waggler I couldn't get a bite. They returned a couple of hours later (with some very welcome cold tins of lager) to report they'd seen no-one.

We packed in about 5pm, the lake was still flat calm and to be honest looked better for swimming in than fishing. We weighed the fish and these two bream
Datafile.jpg
plus a few bits weighed 15lbs. I just pipped Richie, his three bream and a couple of roach went 14lbs 15oz. Josh had 11lb, Dave 6lb odd of roach and perch and Peter had a single bream and a hybrid for 3lb 12oz. - Nobody else could be bothered to pose for a photo icon_smile_big.gif

We were struggling to decide where to fish next, originally we'd planned to fish the north bank of Lough Drumlona, but with the increased water level it was debatable whether we'd be able to actually fish it. Only Dave and myself had waders, so the rest of the lads may have struggled to get beyond the marginal reeds - plus there was this fence to contend with
Datafile.jpg
Although it doesn't show up too well on the photo theres a wire fence going almost to the top of those posts and to the left of my holdall is a 10 foot high stone wall.

Eventually we settled on Lough Sillan, we'd some excellent catches there in the past (50lb of roach on the waggler and bream to 7lb on the feeder). The weather had changed for the better (from a fishing point of view) with overcast skies and occasional drizzle. We all started on the feeder - not a bite! Switched to the waggler and Josh had a 12oz roach first cast, then nothing. I caught a tiny skimmer fishing in the rocks 10 feet from the bank, Josh and Richie caught a pound or so of bits fishing a three metre whip. Dave hadn't had a bite but whilst refilling his feeder he dropped his bait at his feet, thought he'd got snagged amongst the rocks, felt down the line and pulled out a 2oz bootlace eel!

By 2pm we were all seriously dispirited, 3lb of fish between five of us was not really why we'd come to Ireland! With hindsight we should probably have fished Killyvaghan again, but after two days sat on the rocks, the other lads were sick of the sight of the place! We returned to Cootehill for a decent meal and a couple of pints and Dave really brightened his day up when he won 600 euros at the bookies icon_smile_big.gif

We only had two days fishing left and decided to return to Lough Ramor, at least we knew we'd get plenty of bites. We didn't bother prebaiting this time and hoped for the best. When we arrived at the lake we found we had the wind in our face, which although it wasn't very strong at least put a decent ripple on the lake.

Everybody started on the feeder again except Dave who again elected to fish the waggler. I think we all caught a fish first cast and then it was literally a bite every cast, I fished a four foot tail and must have had two-thirds of my fish on the drop. It was literally a case of casting to the line-clip and waiting for the tip to pull round 12 inches once the feeder had hit the bottom. The bites were incredible but I think we all managed to miss loads! It was also noticeable that we were catching not only the more common roach/bream hybrids but also rudd/bream hybrids, the latter being a much more thick set fish with a deep buttery colour (and they fought like hell)

I had no idea what sort of weight I had when we packed up at around 6pm but was thinking it must be 50lbs+ I realised I had considerably more than that when I couldn't lift the net and it took three of us to hoist it over the top of the wall for photos. It almost wrecked my keepnet in the process but when we weighed the fish I was amazed (and delighted) to find I had 92lbs 7oz! Peter had 16lb 5oz (including a speciman hybrid of 4lb 1oz) and Dave had just over 84lb, after switching to the feeder half-way through the day.

Richie finished with the best weight - 93lb exactly, although the photo doesn't really do it justice.
Datafile.jpg

and Josh was over the moon with his best weight of an ounce over 37lb
Datafile.jpg

Now you may be wondering where the photos of the other catches are. Well as I was transferring the pictures from my camera to the PC, my computer crashed.icon_smile_angry.gif Six pictures were transferred (the file size is the same as all the other photos) but the computer does not recognise them as "valid picture types". So if there are any computer buffs out there who fancy having a go at restoring them (if its possible), please let me know and I'll send you them.

Anyway, sob story over, back to Ireland icon_smile_big.gif
We were understandably somewhat elated and despite the weather forecast for the following day being exceedingly wet, there was certainly no question of where we were going to go for our final days fishing.

As we pulled into the car-park the following morning, I glanced at the lough and immediately noticed that the wind had changed, it still wasn't very strong but was now blowing right to left. The rain started just as we were tackling up and from the first cast we knew we were going to struggle.

Bites on the drop were few and far between and the fishing was very similar to the first day we fished Ramor, you'd get a run of a few fish and then they seemed to back-off. The rain didn't let up and by 1pm Dave and his dad were soaked and had had enough, they went to Virginia for something to eat and to dry off a little. Josh was also fed-up and went to sit under the trees with his brolly.
Datafile.jpg
Richie trying to force a smile - he'd just announced the rain was now trickling down the back of his neck!

Dave and his dad returned at around 4pm (Dave having fleeced the bookies for another 200 euros!) and we decided to wrap in. I caught just over 28lbs - including a hybrid of 3lbs 4oz
Datafile.jpg

Dave had an ounce over 10lbs, his dad getting only a single hybrid of a pound. Josh caught just over 9lbs, including another clonking hybrid (sorry I can't remember what it weighed)
Datafile.jpg

Richie was top weight again with this catch of 37lbs 8oz
Datafile.jpg

It was amazing just how much difference the wind switching through 90 degrees made to the fishing.

We'd set ourselves a target before we started of catching 1000lbs in the week, but we fell someway short our total reaching only 832lbs.
Richie was the top weight with 260lbs, followed by myself with 209lbs.
We had some very poor days (why Sillan fished so badly I've no idea) and a couple of days when to catch any bream at all was an acheivement but to be honest even if we'd caught nothing we'll still be back next year. (Actually Dave's going back in October with some work-mates to a spot called Cloverhills, anybody know anything about it?)

Well thats the end of the longest post I've ever put on here and it makes we wonder how Trev puts these on every week icon_smile.gif

Tight Lines

Simon

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Excellent Simon,

Looks and sounds like you all had a great time despite the weather.

About the other photos, check the file names and see if they end with jpg or jpeg. If not right click the file and rename it something like: myphotoname.jpg and then see if you can open it. If it doesn't work then there is a possibility that the file has been converted to binary or has been corrupted. Send them to me and I'll see what I can do: Dave@maggotdrowning.com

Dave

norm

good report simon
you had a lot better time than most i know of this year in irelandicon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

scales

Vinny
Great report Simon I really enjoyed reading it. Glad Ramor came up trumps for you, Don't them Hybrids fight !!! Will be returning in early September and can't wait to have another crack at them myself.

Cheers mate,

Scales.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Superb report Simon,

Got me thinking that it really is time i returned to the Emerald Isle myself in the not to distant future.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.