My Hermes

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
made an order from fishing republic a about 10 days ago. Ordered some small items like feeders etc and a match rod. somehow all the small items arrived in a big brown envelope after around 3 days but no sign of the rod. Hats off to FR, after a few phone calls and a bit of a wait they refunded me the cost of the rod today so no major issue.
I decided to have a look at my Hermes just out of curiosity and pulled up their prohibited items list as well as no protection list. was surprised to see that fishing rods were on the no protection list and sent at own risk. Would this mean if a rod arrived damaged you would be stuck with it?
i've copied the page below and can't really think of anything you could actually send with Hermes as the list is quite extensive, and a lot of things would not be covered.

Prohibited Items:​

The following items (or any item similar in description or content) can not be carried on any service.
Any person sending such an item may be subject to their order being cancelled without notice:

• Aerosol
  • Aftershaves
  • Air Bag
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Ammunition
  • Animals of any form (alive or dead)
  • Any Item Containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas Or Fumes)
  • Aromatherapy Oil
  • Bathroom Suites
  • Batteries
  • Biological Samples
  • Camera
  • Canoes / Kayaks
  • Car Panel
  • Cash, Credit Cards, Debit Cards
  • Chainsaw
  • Cheques
  • Christmas Crackers
  • Concrete
  • Confectionery
  • Counterfeit Currency
  • Credit/Debit/Cash Cards
  • Dangerous Goods
  • Documents (Outside The EU)
  • Driving Licence
  • Drugs (including prescription)
  • Engines
  • Filth
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Fish (live or dead)
  • Food
  • Food Items (Perishable Goods)
  • Fragrance
  • Gardening And Household Tools - Gardening And Household Tools, Unless Properly Protected
  • Gearbox
  • Gun
  • Hazardous Goods
  • Human Remains
  • Infectious substances
  • Item Described As "Unknown"
  • Jewellery
  • Juice
  • Kitchen Appliances – White Goods/Coffee Machines/Microwaves
  • Knives
  • Ladders
  • Leather (Landmark)
  • Lighter
  • Lights/Lighting/Lamps/Chandeliers
  • Liquids/Creams/Oils
  • Lottery Tickets
  • Mattresses
  • Meat
  • Medical Equipment
  • Milk Powder (restricted in China)
  • Minerals (Landmark)
  • Mobile Phone with or without Sim to any Residential address in Turkey/Pakistan
  • Money/Cash/Currency
  • Nail Varnish
  • Oil
  • Paint
  • Paintings/Canvas Prints
  • Passport
  • Perfumes
  • Perishable Good
  • Perishable Goods (all)
  • Plant
  • Printer Toner
  • Protein/Health Shakes (myHermes, Landmark)
  • Replica Weapons
  • Seatbelt Tensioner
  • Settee
  • Sharp Instruments - E.G. Knives Scissors And Axes.
  • Sinks/Basins
  • Slush Syrup
  • Soap (OCS, Landmark)
  • Sofa
  • Spectacles / Sunglasses
  • Stamps (unless Franked)
  • Steering Wheel
  • Tea (Leaves, Bags etc.)
  • Telescopes
  • Tickets
  • Tobacco And Tobacco Products
  • Toilets
  • Unboxed Furniture
  • Vehicle Bonnet
  • Vehicle Bumper
  • Vehicle Door
  • Water
  • Weapons
  • White Goods (Fridges, Ovens, Freezers, Cooker Hoods, Etc)
  • Window
  • Windscreen
  • Wooden Items (Myhermes, Landmark)

Special Provisions:​

• Amplifiers - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200.00, up to £1,000.00 for lost items.
  • Apple Mac/Macpro - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £0.00, up to £1,000.00 for lost items. (iMacs are protected for loss only)
  • Banjo/Guitar/Cello/Violin - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £100.00, up to £1,000.00 for lost items. Musical instruments must be sent in a hard case.

No Protection items:​

The following items (or any item similar in description or content) can only be carried on a no protection basis on any service.
Any person sending such an item does so at their own risk:
  • Amber
  • Antique
  • Bottles
  • Bulbs
  • Ceramics/Figures/Figurines
  • China/Porcelain
  • Clock
  • Coffee Machines
  • Computer Monitor/Imac
  • Crockery/Pots/Pottery
  • Crystal
  • Delicate Items
  • Detergent
  • Diamonds
  • Documents
  • Fiberglass
  • Fish Tank
  • Fishing Rods
  • Fragile Items (all)
  • Framed Painting/Photograph
  • Gems or gemstones
  • Glass/Glassware
  • Hamper
  • Lampshades
  • Lenses
  • Marble
  • Microscope
  • Microwave
  • Mirror
  • Ornament
  • Over Head Projector
  • Packaging/Media Packaging
  • Pewter Figures
  • Picture Frames
  • Poster
  • Precious Metals (Gold/Silver/Platinum Etc.)
  • Print
  • Projector
  • Real Fur
  • Resin
  • Scanner
  • Sewing/Knitting Machine
  • Shower Screen
  • SIM Cards
  • Stoneware
  • Suitcases/ Flightcases (Not acceptable as packaging)
  • Television
  • Tiles
  • Torches
  • Turntables
  • Vase
  • Velux
  • Vermiculite Board
  • Watch

Items requiring more information:​

The following items (or any item similar in description or content) can only be carried if the description is altered by the customer prior to completing their order.
Any person sending such an item may be subject to their ordering being cancelled without notice and does so at their own risk potentially negating any parcel protection:
Please note we are more than happy to carry these items in the more info section - we just need a clearer description (assumes the clearer description is not an item in the no protection or prohibited list of course).
  • Car Part
  • Ebay
  • Gift
  • Personal Item

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
So basically they take fek all... a good reason not to use em I'd say

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Claiming compensation from any courier is a nightmare. It always takes months and even then they either don’t pay out or pay part of the value. They charge a fortune for insurance and then it’s hardly worth the paper it’s written on. I’ve claimed from couriers in the past and it’s just not worth the hassle.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
So basically they take fek all... a good reason not to use em I'd say
I was surprised that they basically don’t take anything. I guess it’s a way to get out of paying out for lost/damaged items.

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
So Hermes don't insure anything you could conceivably put in a parcel. Useful to know and I'll try to avoid anybody who uses them now... I wonder what their definition of "filth" is....... ;-)

davylad

Site Supporter
Do you know I've used them dozens of times with brilliant service, but after seeing that, I'm going to have to find another courier with anything of any value. They might as well say you're not insured if you use us.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ihave had three parcels delivered this week and four previous
week ,
no trouble at all

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
I maybe in a minority but have never had a problem with Hermes. I notice cash is listed 3 times!

I wonder if they would take Schrödinger's cat?😀

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
What do the drivers get. 85p a parcel ?
They get 60p if they collect from your home.

I sent a parcel last week to my son in Wales via Hermes. I weighed the parcel to get the right price and the parcel weighed 3.65lb, so I paid for collection. my local courier picked it up no trouble. (she is great) I tracked the parcel from day 2 until it was delivered. I got messages that the parcel was of an abnormal size and would have to go by special courier. After delivery I receive an email stating that they did a quality check and my parcel weighed 2.65Kg and they want me to pay a £4.91 surcharge. No evidence of the quality check weights I just have to take their word. Take a running jump was my reply, or would have been if I could ever get in touch with them.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I was surprised that they basically don’t take anything. I guess it’s a way to get out of paying out for lost/damaged items.
Alot of that stuff cannot be carried by some means if transport (think dangerousl goods notes / plates) or cross customs borders by courier as their customs authorisations prohibit the items.
Other items cannot go through automated sorting depots as tbey pose a risk to machinery.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They get 60p if they collect from your home.

I sent a parcel last week to my son in Wales via Hermes. I weighed the parcel to get the right price and the parcel weighed 3.65lb, so I paid for collection. my local courier picked it up no trouble. (she is great) I tracked the parcel from day 2 until it was delivered. I got messages that the parcel was of an abnormal size and would have to go by special courier. After delivery I receive an email stating that they did a quality check and my parcel weighed 2.65Kg and they want me to pay a £4.91 surcharge. No evidence of the quality check weights I just have to take their word. Take a running jump was my reply, or would have been if I could ever get in touch with them.
So you sent a parcel that weighed 1kg more when you weighed it than it did when they checked it and they want to charge you more?

<confused>

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
3.65 lb is less than 2.65Kg, did you miss the lb bit????? 3.65 lb is just over 1.5Kg but my scales only weigh in lbs and oz.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ah ha, my eyes were tired and I didn't see the lb