My first time fishing -->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Hi Everyone,

Who can remember their first time fishing?

My very first session if I can call it that was in 1949 (now I'm really showing my age icon_smile_tongue.gif) When I was a lad of 9 years old.
My father had recently come back from the war and it was decided that we would all go away (my mother, father, brother and I) for a holiday.
In those days they were a rarity, and the only time you managed to get abroad was if you were called up for service. Anyway, off we all went, one Saturday morning in June and caught the train to Hornsea. We stayed in a B&B in the middle of Hornsea for the whole weekend.
On the Suday my mother grabbed some bits and pieces from the landlady and with her help managed to pack us all a picnic and onto a bus we went.
Hornsea Mere was our stop. After walking around it, playing soccer and generally fooling around, my father suggested that we try our hand at fishing. It was just like the comics, a bit of thread from my mother's (always on hand in case) emergency sewing kit, a pin from the same and a long branch that was on hand. Well it fell off the tree honest icon_smile_big.gif
For bait we used a bit of the bread from the picnic and lo and behold I caught a small silver fish that I now know as a Roach.
This caused a fight between my brother and I because he then wanted a go and it was my rod. I was hooked.

That was the only fish of the day, and we made our way back to the B&B then back home on the 4.00pm train.

It was at least 14 years after that day that I managed to go fishing again, but since then I can always be found on the bank at least once a fortnight.

Frank

dave k

My first time fishing was in the local town pond when i was about 10 years oldicon_smile.gif

i caught a very little Rudd and i was hooked for lifeicon_smile.gif
must admit the size of the fish i catch hasn't changed even after 30+ yearsicon_smile_wink.gif

Dave Kennedy
http://usscangling.cjb.net

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My 1st fishing trip was to a pond on Tooting Bec common,about 1962 aged 7,Taken by my Mum,the rod was an old snooker cue with some rings whipped on and an old wooden starback reel held on by electrical tape.We set up on the "manhole cover swim" and first cast with a bit of worm i caught a Pongo Gudgeon,I was hooked for life.
I soon progressed to a 10ft cane and fiberglass rod and an Intrepid Truespin from the local tackle shop and spent many a happy day with the rest of the lads who inhabited the place.I was given the nickname Lucky,as i always seemed to catch 1st cast.
The thing used to be to wade out to the small island and fish towards the "bombhole" on the corner of the large island,which was supposed to be where the monster carp lurked.
I went back recently and the small island has been removed and 1/2 the lake fenced off as a nature reserve. My best fish from the pond was a 13lb 10oz common carp,caught on a freelined lobworm from the front of the landing stage.It took me 7 years to catch a bigger one!
The other great adventure was to catch the train to Hampton Court,and then sneaking through the hole in the wire fence by the road bridge over the river Mole and fishing under the railway bridge.I caught my first Barbel there,just under 2lbs but it seemed like a giant at the time.
Every time we went i used to go into the large tackleshop there and buy a couple of Camafloats (the first Drennan floats).I've still got a couple in my box today.They don't get used anymore,but everytime i open my box there they are,and the memories come flooding back.
Happy Times,
Peter. jumpfish_2_e0.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The first time that I went was many moons ago when at 13 years old a friend and I bunked off school and took his fishing tackle to the local park lake.
We were having a great time until we heard this booming shout behind us. Looking round there was our sports teacher and two classes who had decided to do a cross-country run around the park and lake!!

Needless to say, we were reported not only to the school but also our parents (I don't know which was worse) icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yeah Dave but it wasn't all that bad.

Just look what your mate Izaak went on to do with his life

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Think that this should come back to the top,
even if it's just for a contribution from Trevicon_smile_wink.gif
Come on everyone,lets hear those stories.
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Lol Ok Peter,
I was about 8 and my mother decided to visit her sister during School holidays, some 5 miles away.
Our only form of transport was cycles and having arrived on a warm summers day, my 3 year older,cousin Terry,suggested we go fishing at the local pond.
The Sisters packed a picnic basket and we walked to Old Newton village pond wherein lurked a species known as mud carp!
To this day, I dont know for sure, but assume they were stunted commons in that small environment.
Our equipment? 2 Garden bamboo canes, with (I seem to remember) real bought stick type floats, i really cannot remember how we weighted them, together with (no word of a lie), bent pins!
The bait was bread and not surprisingly, the fish in the heat of a summers day were totally uninterested!
After a few hours, my cousin and I wandered off to do boys things,tree climbing,running around the meadow and of course, falling out and arguing!
The sisters sat contentedly chatting about the usual, (totally boring to an 8 year old boy)things, each with their respective garden cane.
When the cry from my mother came, I returned happily, assuming with an anticipation that any child knows, that food was ready!BUT no,my mother then proceeded to introduce me to a friend that shaped much of my young life,until I discovered girls werent only soft,weak boys in skirts.
Struggling helplessly on the bent pin, was a gold coloured, shining, dripping,fascinating fish!
My mother was totally averse to touching it, but I seized it avidly at her request to "Get it off!",whereupon the hook fell out, the fish wriggled and slipped out of my hand into the water.
As I sadly looked at the widening ripples where the fish had gone, I remember my cousin making hay out of 'butterfingers' Trev, but I had lost interest in all else but savouring that sight again.
So I took the cane from my Mother and for the rest of the time we were there sat concentrating on re-catching that wondrous creature, but with total lack of success.
The next few days saw me reading (an only child in the Suffolk remote Countryside) I was an avid bookworm.
Begging! My 1st real rod was a green Woolworths 'Tank Arial' rod,Allegedly, (this was 1955) made from MOD surplus Tank Ariels after the war. Metal, heavy, short and with bent wire rod rings!
Preparing, God forgive me all you Greens and Conservationists, but it was different then. I used to shoot with my Original model23 .177 airgun, rabbits, moorhens (unprotected vermin in those days, Pigeons etc),wrap them in newspaper, bury them and then dig them up after a few days as this was the only way to get maggots for bait!
It still crosses my mind when I buy a conveniant Pint of Disco Pinkies, of how it used to be and the look of revulsion on my Mothers face, when her 'Pride and Joy' came home with stained shirtsleeves, reeking of the exhumed carcase of some innocent creature.
Well ,the world , marriage, babies , all intruded, but then , I returned and trained a new generation to appreciate fishing as my 2 oldest sons grew up.
They left home , and another lapse, but now following my retirement, the Powers have granted me an extension to re-kindle all the happiness Angling has brought and I have to say, It is just as intense, The people are just as genuine and if anything, I am enjoying it even more 3rd time round!
Thank you little mud carp, You must have been pre-ordained!

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 28 January 2002 03:24:10 AM

Andy Thatcher

Where in the remote Suffolk countryside Trev ?

Just wondered as I have spent a fair amout of time in various remote bits of Suffolk.

Back to the thread.

Really cannot remember the first time I went fishing but I know I was five. I suspect that it was on the Lea, possibly !

Cheers
Andy

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Trev,
Well worth waiting for,
Come on the rest of you!
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well you asked for it. The Chronicles of Geoff - rubbish Fisherman. (Yes that is spelt correctly)

The first time I went fishing I was 9 or 10. A friend of mine asked me to go with him to a feeder stream to Darwell reservoir near Battle in East Sussex.

The quarry was brown trout, perch and eels. I didnt know at the time we ere poaching. First fish I ever caught was a bullhead, which a worm had in a death grip.

It must have taken me 2 or 3 sessions to catch even that. I used to catch a lot of perch, 'cos in the 50's they were plentiful but unfortunately I had my old split cane rod snapped by an eel. (I enjoyed eating that one) All that hard earned pocket money wasted.

After an uncle and cousin came down from Birningham on holiday I learnt a lot more about this wonderful sport, as my uncle was an avid angler. My parents then presented me with slightly better tackle and I finally started to catch fish regularly.

To this day I can still recall being chased off the reservoir by a bailiff, carrying 3 good-sized brown trout for my dads tea.

Thank you Derek Easey, where ever you are, for taking me in the first place.

And thank you guys for making this fishing thing an even better experience.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
The 1st time i went fishing was when i was 10 im 15 now.
i went on holiday to majorca with my uncle he wsa a keen angler and his mate was. so into the holiday my uncle said lets go fishing he brought 2 rods a decent one for him and a cheap argos for me with 15 pound line i didnt care at that time 1st of all i didnt catch ought there caught loads. so i didnt really like it,
a couple or years later 2 i think my mate said do you wanna go fishing so i said yess rang my uncle up to ask him i could lend any tackle so the next morning my uncle came with all his TACKLE. so i went had no bite cos i wsa just gettin started . a couple of sessions later on the leeds and liverpool canal i caught my 1st fish a Perch.
well i hacked to it now
Regards Goin Fishin

g.sutcliffe

AlexR

hi andy, i live in suffolk too, you are the one that lives near melton?
icon_smile_big.gif

;)

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Ziptrev - as a favour to old eyes (you will notice I even used the Brit spelling of favor as part of my plea for sympathy :D) could you please put a blank line between paragraphs when you are doing a long post?

I enjoy reading your stuff but it is really hard to follow without the breaks.

You can now wipe the tears from your eyes as I know I have touched your heart but it is difficult to see to type if you are watering the keyboard.

Newt Vail

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
First time I can recall was probably around 1948-49. I was a little fella and was out with Dad in a small (maybe 12ft) old and somewhat leaky jon boat.

Fishing with a bamboo pole (not rod but a pole of maybe 6-7 feet and the line just tied to the tip).

Bait was cockroaches which we kept in a large cage with screen sides. I can remember Dad telling me that the ones with a large egg case hanging off the back were best.

I can also remember using an empty coffee can to bail the boat occasionally when the water would get over a couple inches deep.

Lake was shallow to maybe 8 feet and was full of bald cypress trees (which can live with wet feet and actualy prefer it that way).

Must have been in spring time since the sunfish were found in large groups among the roots of the cypress trees.

Float was the cork from a whisky bottle with a hole in the center for the line and a wooden match stick to pinch the line in the hole.

Memories - that one is vivid and more so as I write about it. Dad is dead now (at 96) but will live on in my memory - and mostly from great fishing trips we had over the years.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Newt,
Thanks for sharing that.
I can see it and I bet it never rained!
Zip

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Geoff vivid stuff too

Brought home to me that I have NEVER eaten anything I've caught!

Shame on me! , never fancied Perch , only just caught Pike; And Trout have always been too small , or in singles!

Cant justify my fishing really!

Nuff spaces Newt lol!

Trev
(Just as a favor, to add color!)

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Zippy - favor, color. Wonderful. We'll have you speaking proper american before it is all over. :)

I may need to work on my Brit as well. I favour a biaut wituh Colour and flavour oveur one without.

Right then, I think I got it.

And yup, the spaces did help a bunch.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Toma has asked this same question, so I'm bringing it back in order that he can see the early replies.
OK Andy (Damn good Post Frank)

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

paul mc

The first time i went fishing was when i was about 12(18 years ago).We used to go down to my local lake(Halsnead park) with a piece of line tied to a twig with a match as a float.We used to only catch small perch and bitterling but it was fun all the same.
Just out of curriosity has anyone caught a bitterling recently cos i havent seen any for years
I am still a member of the club that owns halsnead park and have been for over 15 years.You dont realise just how quick time goes until you stop aand think about it, or is that just me feeling old with my 30th birthday in a couple of weeks . beer-toast1.gif

Regards Paul Mc

G

See your typing finger is back Ziptrev{LoL}7th post down my man.

beer-toast1.gif Toma

Status
Not open for further replies.