My first session back.......

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Firstly, thanks to everyone that has responded to my posts this week, as per my earlier posts, today I went for my first session pleasure fishing after a hiatus of around 7 years. I had some questions which were duly answered and advice given, so many thanks to all.

I was asked to report back with a summary of the session, so here goes.......

Wide awake at 0430 this morning, so re-watched a couple of youtube instructional vids on method feeder fishing, had breakfast and was ready to leave as planned as 0600hrs.

Arrived at Long Pond Fishery (Clare, Suffolk) via the cashpoint at 0630hrs just as it opened. There was a match scheduled on Cable Pond, so I would be fishing Long Pond, the smaller of the two. It has 18 pegs, a couple of islands and lots of reeds and lily pads.

It was still not completely light, but found my way to my chosen peg. One that I used fish regularly back in the day, with an island at about 20m straight ahead, another smaller island about 15m to the left, and a bed of lilies to the right. I picked it as I have caught there before, and knew I would feel comfortable.

I had set up two feeder rods before I left, so I cracked on with preparing my Ringers 2mm pellets for the feeder, and some Sonubaits ground-bait. Got my chair set up, rod rests, side tray and the other bits and pieces, I.m not the neatest when it comes to fishing, so I was determined to keep everything as tidy as poss. (I failed). Spent about 10 mins trying to clip up to the island in front, there were some overhanging trees that I was a bit concerned about, but I got a decent spot between the island and a small patch of lilypads, which I was happy with.

Expander pellets for hookbait, which were secured with a bait-stop to a hair rigged size 16 hook. I was fishing 6lb mainline and 4lb hook-length. Never used bait-stops before but found it surprisingly easy to get the bait on the hair.

So off we went. First cast 0730 hrs. (Yes, it took me an hour to get my act together.) And here I encountered my first minor problem. I knew I was clipped up to an area left of the island, but for about half a dozen casts I just didn't seem able to commit to the cast, so I kept coming up a few yards short of target, in open water. I was not casting strongly enough, or it was looping up in the air too much, or a couple of times I panicked and stopped the cast with my finger before it hit the clip. Regardless, I was missing my target area. After a strong word with myself and 20 minutes wasted, something clicked and I hit my mark on about cast number 7. Sunk the line, rod on the rest, and poured a coffee.

Then the magic happened. Literally a minute later, the tip went round. After i'd spilt my coffee (thankfully I was wearing my waterproof bib and brace), and I was reeling in a massive bream. I mean, it must have weighed at least 8oz, but it was the most welcome fish I think I've ever caught. I had ensured that I wasn't going to blank, at that stage I didn't care that it was so small that it would barely have made a fish finger.

The morning then whizzed past, I had another couple of skimmers, then what felt like a whale but turned out to be a small common carp of a couple of lb I guess (I wasn't weighing anything), then a mirror carp of about the same size. I was struggling to cast straight, I kept missing the mark to the left, there was a bit of a breeze right to left, so I guess that may have had an impact. ,

At about 11ish, I encountered my second problem, and I'm still not really sure how it happened. My cast overshot the target by miles, and my feeder ended up in the overhanging branches of the island. I suppose I must have not pulled the rod back far enough before it hit the clip. Anyhow, I pulled and pulled, and the rig eventually broke off, and is still in the tree.

Glad I had rigged up two rods before setting out, I turned to the other one, and decided to have a go to the island/lilies to my left. Clipped it up successfully, now using hard halibut pellets on a banded hair rig. I had been feeding this area for the last hour or so with the halibut pellets, knowing that I would be targeting the swim if the first one dried up.

Jackpot, within about 3 minutes I was into a fish, which as soon as I picked the rod up I knew was the biggest one of the day. A beautiful mirror carp, twice the size of the biggest one I'd had so far, so a nominal 4lber. Put up a decent fight, and was hooked in the side of the bottom lip. I was buzzing. Straight back out to the same spot, and 5 mins later I had a common carp, smaller than the last one, maybe 2.5lb.

A quiet half hour turned into a run of smaller fish mostly skimmers, and a couple of small carp. At around 430 it started to chuck it down. I was starting to run low on 2mm pellets, and I decided to go back to the first swim straight ahead for the last few casts.

Last cast but one, by which stage the Mrs had been on the phone checking that I would be home by 6 to taxi her and daughter to her mates house for drink and Chinese (following Covid guidelines naturally), the tip ripped round and the rod, reel and everything else nearly ended up in the lake. I caught it seemingly mid-air and held on for dear life, unfortunately whatever it was on the other end made it to the reeds by the island, and after a couple of minutes of (not so) subtle persuasion snapped the line at the hook-length. . Could have been the best fish of the day, I'll never know.

It was now time to pack up and head for home. I didn't keep count of the little ones, but I know I had 6 carp, 4 commons and 2 mirrors. As I said, I wasn't weighing, but I would imagine the biggest was in the region of 4lb. Small potatoes by most standards, but to me it felt like I'd hooked a whale.

Have definitely got the bug back, got some holiday from work at the end of this week and all of next week. Next trip is planned for Thursday, then a couple next week. Will definitely be trying the other lake at Long Pond Fishery, and there's another place called Hermitage Fishery not far from me that I've never been to that I want to try, to see somewhere new.

Now at home, drinking a bottle of Spanish red, with a massive grin on my face. No real disasters, remembered lots, but still have lots to learn.

Sorry this is such a long post, and thanks again to everyone who responded to my questions earlier in the week.

Stewie

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Firstly, thanks to everyone that has responded to my posts this week, as per my earlier posts, today I went for my first session pleasure fishing after a hiatus of around 7 years. I had some questions which were duly answered and advice given, so many thanks to all.

I was asked to report back with a summary of the session, so here goes.......

Wide awake at 0430 this morning, so re-watched a couple of youtube instructional vids on method feeder fishing, had breakfast and was ready to leave as planned as 0600hrs.

Arrived at Long Pond Fishery (Clare, Suffolk) via the cashpoint at 0630hrs just as it opened. There was a match scheduled on Cable Pond, so I would be fishing Long Pond, the smaller of the two. It has 18 pegs, a couple of islands and lots of reeds and lily pads.

It was still not completely light, but found my way to my chosen peg. One that I used fish regularly back in the day, with an island at about 20m straight ahead, another smaller island about 15m to the left, and a bed of lilies to the right. I picked it as I have caught there before, and knew I would feel comfortable.

I had set up two feeder rods before I left, so I cracked on with preparing my Ringers 2mm pellets for the feeder, and some Sonubaits ground-bait. Got my chair set up, rod rests, side tray and the other bits and pieces, I.m not the neatest when it comes to fishing, so I was determined to keep everything as tidy as poss. (I failed). Spent about 10 mins trying to clip up to the island in front, there were some overhanging trees that I was a bit concerned about, but I got a decent spot between the island and a small patch of lilypads, which I was happy with.

Expander pellets for hookbait, which were secured with a bait-stop to a hair rigged size 16 hook. I was fishing 6lb mainline and 4lb hook-length. Never used bait-stops before but found it surprisingly easy to get the bait on the hair.

So off we went. First cast 0730 hrs. (Yes, it took me an hour to get my act together.) And here I encountered my first minor problem. I knew I was clipped up to an area left of the island, but for about half a dozen casts I just didn't seem able to commit to the cast, so I kept coming up a few yards short of target, in open water. I was not casting strongly enough, or it was looping up in the air too much, or a couple of times I panicked and stopped the cast with my finger before it hit the clip. Regardless, I was missing my target area. After a strong word with myself and 20 minutes wasted, something clicked and I hit my mark on about cast number 7. Sunk the line, rod on the rest, and poured a coffee.

Then the magic happened. Literally a minute later, the tip went round. After i'd spilt my coffee (thankfully I was wearing my waterproof bib and brace), and I was reeling in a massive bream. I mean, it must have weighed at least 8oz, but it was the most welcome fish I think I've ever caught. I had ensured that I wasn't going to blank, at that stage I didn't care that it was so small that it would barely have made a fish finger.

The morning then whizzed past, I had another couple of skimmers, then what felt like a whale but turned out to be a small common carp of a couple of lb I guess (I wasn't weighing anything), then a mirror carp of about the same size. I was struggling to cast straight, I kept missing the mark to the left, there was a bit of a breeze right to left, so I guess that may have had an impact. ,

At about 11ish, I encountered my second problem, and I'm still not really sure how it happened. My cast overshot the target by miles, and my feeder ended up in the overhanging branches of the island. I suppose I must have not pulled the rod back far enough before it hit the clip. Anyhow, I pulled and pulled, and the rig eventually broke off, and is still in the tree.

Glad I had rigged up two rods before setting out, I turned to the other one, and decided to have a go to the island/lilies to my left. Clipped it up successfully, now using hard halibut pellets on a banded hair rig. I had been feeding this area for the last hour or so with the halibut pellets, knowing that I would be targeting the swim if the first one dried up.

Jackpot, within about 3 minutes I was into a fish, which as soon as I picked the rod up I knew was the biggest one of the day. A beautiful mirror carp, twice the size of the biggest one I'd had so far, so a nominal 4lber. Put up a decent fight, and was hooked in the side of the bottom lip. I was buzzing. Straight back out to the same spot, and 5 mins later I had a common carp, smaller than the last one, maybe 2.5lb.

A quiet half hour turned into a run of smaller fish mostly skimmers, and a couple of small carp. At around 430 it started to chuck it down. I was starting to run low on 2mm pellets, and I decided to go back to the first swim straight ahead for the last few casts.

Last cast but one, by which stage the Mrs had been on the phone checking that I would be home by 6 to taxi her and daughter to her mates house for drink and Chinese (following Covid guidelines naturally), the tip ripped round and the rod, reel and everything else nearly ended up in the lake. I caught it seemingly mid-air and held on for dear life, unfortunately whatever it was on the other end made it to the reeds by the island, and after a couple of minutes of (not so) subtle persuasion snapped the line at the hook-length. . Could have been the best fish of the day, I'll never know.

It was now time to pack up and head for home. I didn't keep count of the little ones, but I know I had 6 carp, 4 commons and 2 mirrors. As I said, I wasn't weighing, but I would imagine the biggest was in the region of 4lb. Small potatoes by most standards, but to me it felt like I'd hooked a whale.

Have definitely got the bug back, got some holiday from work at the end of this week and all of next week. Next trip is planned for Thursday, then a couple next week. Will definitely be trying the other lake at Long Pond Fishery, and there's another place called Hermitage Fishery not far from me that I've never been to that I want to try, to see somewhere new.

Now at home, drinking a bottle of Spanish red, with a massive grin on my face. No real disasters, remembered lots, but still have lots to learn.

Sorry this is such a long post, and thanks again to everyone who responded to my questions earlier in the week.

Stewie
Lovely days fishing. ,excellent report ,really enjoyed the read, for a minute i was on the bank with you

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Great report mate, you have a very readable style. Don't worry about a long post, your writing is quality so the longer the better imo.👍👍👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Congratulations. Sly has given you a 9.5 out of 10 for your cast into that over hanging tree. 🤣. Nah, seriously, well done fella and what a great report. I take it you’re hooked again then ? 😁👍

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Great report mate, you have a very readable style. Don't worry about a long post, your writing is quality so the longer the better imo.👍👍👍
Thanks Dave, good to hear.

Congratulations. Sly has given you a 9.5 out of 10 for your cast into that over hanging tree. 🤣. Nah, seriously, well done fella and what a great report. I take it you’re hooked again then ? 😁👍
It was spectacular. Definitely hooked again, going back Thursday for more, and looking into joining a local Angling Club to increase my venue options. Will post about this separately.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave, good to hear.

It was spectacular. Definitely hooked again, going back Thursday for more, and looking into joining a local Angling Club to increase my venue options. Will post about this separately.
Good on ya pal. Go give em some welly. 👍