My first match

• Thread starter Deleted member 21081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21081

Lovely write up mate, I enjoyed reading that .I fished my first coarse match (a family pairs thing) since 1987 on Sunday just gone and I loved it..just the atmosphere down the bankside and fishing as hard as you can..only makes you better...fully agree with what you say, the folk on this forum are so helpful
Brilliant glad you liked it.

Fishing and competing are two things that can inspire us.

How did you get on?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Seems a lot of places not quite teaching their potential at the moment? It’s been a funny year weather wise.

What were you catching on?
I think it was down to me today rather than the water. Had problems with my 6mm expanders being too soft again & ended up on 4mm. Caught a few fish on those but got the best fish on meat in the margins. My mate fishing on the next peg had a good haul on the feeder, hard up to the island, using yellow wafters.

D

Deleted member 21081

I think it was down to me today rather than the water. Had problems with my 6mm expanders being too soft again & ended up on 4mm. Caught a few fish on those but got the best fish on meat in the margins. My mate fishing on the next peg had a good haul on the feeder, hard up to the island, using yellow wafters.
Maybe feeder was the method for the day? I think that on a lot of venues that are heavily match fished the fish can back off from the pole lines.

My reason for fishing feeder / pellet waggler in the OP was exactly this. There are many situations on commercials where rod and line can be better on the day than the pole.

Paste is always worth a look at on that lake too, it’s quite silty.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Brilliant glad you liked it.

Fishing and competing are two things that can inspire us.

How did you get on?
Hello there, not great but not a disaster either..bit of a grueller in the burning hot sun tbh winkling out small silvers and the odd bonus fish. All weights were sub 10lb and those framing all came from consecutive pegs in the same place in a bit of a hotspot I think. It was a friendly family thing though and good fun. We caught about the same as the pegs either side so didn't disgrace ourselves;-) In fact my lad caught the majority! Whetted my appetite to do it again though...might see when and where the local canal leagues are this autumn.

D

Deleted member 21081

Hello there, not great but not a disaster either..bit of a grueller in the burning hot sun tbh winkling out small silvers and the odd bonus fish. All weights were sub 10lb and those framing all came from consecutive pegs in the same place in a bit of a hotspot I think. It was a friendly family thing though and good fun. We caught about the same as the pegs either side so didn't disgrace ourselves;-) In fact my lad caught the majority! Whetted my appetite to do it again though...might see when and where the local canal leagues are this autumn.
Excellent, I think the confidence that comes from being able to hold your own and compete is the important thing alongside, of course, enjoying it.

30 years since I fished a canal so I’m probably not best to advise regarding the canal league!!! Lol