My first match

• Thread starter Deleted member 21081
  • Start date

90sGear

Site Supporter
Good work mate. I'm down at Docklow in a few weeks always do the resi match and a few of their opens, all good folk there. That match lake still hasn't really settled since it was drained and, dredged and restocked but I prefer it like that where thinking out the box gets you extra fish rather than chuck it all down one line all day and bag up.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Well done
If I am catching and think I'm on par or ahead I will not change from a line I am catching
If I am behind and think another line will give me a better stamp/more fish then I swap.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done that man. :upthumb: Hindsite is a wonderful thing but a last hour down the margins was a more than reasonable approach and not one that most would see as a gamble, but results are often instant. If you had no indications after 5 mins it was time to return to what was producing prior to that. Still a fine result for your first match.

D

Deleted member 21081

Well done
If I am catching and think I'm on par or ahead I will not change from a line I am catching
If I am behind and think another line will give me a better stamp/more fish then I swap.
As it was I could only see two others. One fished feeder all match and caught steady but slowly. The other was catching in his margin, but what turned out to be silvers.
The previous winning weight had been 150lb.

I thought 3 fish,big edge carp could significantly increase my weight. I took the gamble.

My mistake, but I can’t say I wouldn’t do it again?

D

Deleted member 21081

Yes pal. Went this morning & had a few....didn't bag up but some decent carp around 6lb

Seems a lot of places not quite teaching their potential at the moment? It’s been a funny year weather wise.

What were you catching on?

D

Deleted member 21081

Good work mate. I'm down at Docklow in a few weeks always do the resi match and a few of their opens, all good folk there. That match lake still hasn't really settled since it was drained and, dredged and restocked but I prefer it like that where thinking out the box gets you extra fish rather than chuck it all down one line all day and bag up.

Thank you! Yeah it’s a cracking venue and one that tests your mind not just your pulling arm.

I love it there though!

D

Deleted member 21081

Well done

I knew I was ahead of the two I could see, and the guy to my right hadn’t been catching too much. A walker had told me the guy to my left had been catching well from the start. When he was weighed in he had a third of my weight but at least twice as many fish, mainly silvers.

D

Deleted member 21081

Don't worry I still misjudge it quite regular
Fish in other peoples nets always seem bigger !

I think the 150lb winning weight a few days earlier was the biggest factor. Plus it’s a decent margin swim.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I must admit in that situation I would have gone down the edge too but kept feeding the other line.
Usually you will get a carp in the first 10min if its going to happen - if not re-feed and go back in another 15min.

D

Deleted member 21081

Well done that man. :upthumb: Hindsite is a wonderful thing but a last hour down the margins was a more than reasonable approach and not one that most would see as a gamble, but results are often instant. If you had no indications after 5 mins it was time to return to what was producing prior to that. Still a fine result for your first match.

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

There were fish there but not really feeding. Later in the week I found I could catch them well on a method in the margin but they were shying away from the pole and/or float.

Had I known I was in contention I would have changed game plan, but the margin was my banker!

As you say hindsight is a great thing!

D

Deleted member 21081

I must admit in that situation I would have gone down the edge too but kept feeding the other line.
Usually you will get a carp in the first 10min if its going to happen - if not re-feed and go back in another 15min.

In all fairness my lack of experience probably cost me.

Saying that though, I was delighted with second anyway!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The 150lb weight previously.... it can be tricky when you think you’ll need a bigger weight than you do, it’s easy to end up forcing a peg, trying to make something happen, to chop and change too much or not enough, as sometime negative fishing and rotating lines and methods is more effective.

Sound like you fished a tidy match, personally if I drop in the margins and get no indications, see no tails or other signs, then I’m out again fairly sharpish, there are days when you catch very big fish from the margins and they give no sign of being there, but more often than not, you'll know when they are there.

Match fishing is a never ending learning curve and it can be a cruel master.

D

Deleted member 21081

Second is a great result :) and 1 big fish would have been a win.
Yeah spot on, my biggest fish was around 3lb, the winner had a carp of around 8lb and he beat me by 8lb!!!!

He did tell me afterwards that he caught all his fish including the carp on the waggler, a tactic we’d discussed at the draw and couldn’t get a touch down the edge, another tactic we’d discussed at the draw!

Cracking bloke though, I could have talked fishing for hours with him and couldn’t have come second to a nicer fella.

D

Deleted member 21081

The 150lb weight previously.... it can be tricky when you think you’ll need a bigger weight than you do, it’s easy to end up forcing a peg, trying to make something happen, to chop and change too much or not enough, as sometime negative fishing and rotating lines and methods is more effective.

Sound like you fished a tidy match, personally if I drop in the margins and get no indications, see no tails or other signs, then I’m out again fairly sharpish, there are days when you catch very big fish from the margins and they give no sign of being there, but more often than not, you'll know when they are there.

Match fishing is a never ending learning curve and it can be a cruel master.

I think there were fish there but they were coming in and acting very tentatively, had it been dead or silvers I wouldn’t have stayed on it but there were swirls and liners.

I tend to say to myself I’ll count to 100 and change if nothing happens. On that day I was getting to 98 then getting a liner. Very frustrating but margin fishing can be that way I find.

If I thought I was in contention then I may have changed.

But as I keep saying I was delighted overall.

If it was easy it wouldn’t be a challenge.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Lovely write up mate, I enjoyed reading that .I fished my first coarse match (a family pairs thing) since 1987 on Sunday just gone and I loved it..just the atmosphere down the bankside and fishing as hard as you can..only makes you better...fully agree with what you say, the folk on this forum are so helpful