my first fishing match

stevierhino

i remember my first fishing match in the late 70's.my mates older brother invited me as a visitor on the river swale at helperby.he worked for claytons printers on pepper road in hunslet and sundays was match days and a minibus used to go round and pick them all up.can't remember the peg number i drew but it was a decent walk to it.i'd be about 15 at the time and was fishing along side some very experienced anglers.i was on the maggot feeder and just catching something would have made my day was my thought.it was a nice looking peg and it wasn't long before i caught a gudgeon about an ounce.when a 2lb 1oz chub was landed i was absolutely over the moon.after that a few more bites but missed them.at the weigh in one of the members said 'nice chub that son well done'.i was more than happy and remember i couldn't wait to tell my dad.i went on a few more matches after that nun monkton hammerton railway top and widdington manor but just silvers (dace bleak and roach).but l've never forgotten that chub at helperby.
can you remember your first match or fishing outing. :)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can remember both.

First fishing trip at 10 years old with my dad at Greasbrough Dam Nr. Rotherham. Fantastic day with plenty of bites but not much netted due to my own inexperience. Just a dad and his son having a laugh in the sunshine and enjoying the day.

First match aged 17 was River Trent. Was more or less thrown into it because of my dads mate dropping out. Holme Pierrepoint was the venue and not being a river angler, I struggled for the first couple of hours. But a young(ish) Dennis White in the peg to my left gave me a few tips. I finished a respectable 5th, Me and Dennis have been mates since.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fished my first opens at around 16. Think my first was at Lavender Hall, nervous as hell, but remember casting my feeder to the island to clip up and plop it landed about a foot from the island first try. I was talking about this with my dad earlier and I was saying I didn’t do very well but he reminded me I beat the pegs around me just didn’t come anywhere overall, so might have been a section win if there was sections.

Cannot remember my first club match as I would have been about 13 but I do remember the 3m whip I used to use. A clumsy bit of kit but as good as I needed for Gudgeon bashing. I can’t remember fishing club matches before I bought my first pole and new seat box but I’m sure I did and would have used an old creel and rod. It wasn’t that long before I got new tackle and was fishing canals every weekend with the Junior Club.

Carp attack

1st match as a junior was up on the local canal, evening league match, about 14 years old, we was allowed to fish against the adults, they always helped us juniors, had few roach perch, few lb on the gb feeder ( was won every week with bream across ) I Loved it, got the buzz, went up every week match after match carrying gear in my bike! Then it happened, 1 match it was fishing rock hard! Flat calm, red hot, nothing feeding not even the perch! Few small fish were getting caught an in desperation I chucked out double worm an magg combo across! 5 minute wait the tip twitches, I look thinking a perch ragging the worm then WHACK round she goes! I ? myself! ?, played that bream so cautiously shaking! Landed! Huge relief, the pegs either side saying well done young un, brilliant, nothing else came rest if match but it fished rock hard an blokes said I had chance, weigh in 5lb 8oz, FOR THE WIN! ABSOLUTELY MADE UP, all the adults congratulate me, got the winnings an race home as fast as I can to tell mum/dad!
Next week up for next match and BLANK ?

Carp attack

1st match on a " commercial " was also as a junior at island pond, the adults would take us juniors in there van's if are dads couldn't take us, summer time red hot, an draw lovely peg with lillies, set up short pole, fished corn, sat there in my shorts thinking nothing of it catching tench after tench! Nothing big, biggest 2lb, but also remmember my cousin also fished an he kept coming around cadging my wagglers! He was lose carp after carp! We wasnt rigged up for them correctly,, anywaybat 1 point I look down an I see fish escaping my keepnet through a hole! Bugger ?, come weigh in I have just shy of 30lb of tench, brilliant day, but then ouch it hurts! Am only RED RAW with sun burn all over! Getting home am in agony an then mum hammers me for getting in such a state! Try explain that I didnt notice because I was fishing, so good days fishing, but also in agony from sun burn an also no wagglers left because of my cousin! ??

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
First match was the boating lake Cleethorpes. I drew opposit the paddling pool and caught half a dozen small roach for 1lb 2oz. Came 4th on the day, just missing out but that was it...I was a match angler!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
First match was the boating lake Cleethorpes. I drew opposit the paddling pool and caught half a dozen small roach for 1lb 2oz. Came 4th on the day, just missing out but that was it...I was a match angler!

Is that still open to anglers?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Birkenhead Park Lake around 1983. It was the annual Wirral Festival of Sport. They held a 40 peg qualifier each night for 4 nights & the top 10 would fish the final, the following week. I had a couple of pound of bits & lost a 1lb tench at the death which would have put me in the final. I was more clueless then than I am now.

alsur

Site Supporter
My first match was a British Telecom London league match on the Thames opposite Windsor race course in early 70s team was short so a friend asked me to fish. Can't remember how I did but I don't think I did that well but I carried on with the team which had some some very good anglers and I picked up a lot from them. British Telecom had an active match fishing club back then with a London league, an inter regional national and we also fished Post Office National which was a very big match with hundreds of people fishing which gave me my introduction to Rivers like the Trent and Welland.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Just had a read of that. I'd always assumed you were an experienced match angler. Well done for your first bash!

It was a great introduction to match fishing, not too serious and loads of banter just how an MD match should be in my opinion. I have fished a few MD matches since and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to start match fishing, I must mention that I have been given loads of advice, tips & encouragement from fellow MD'ers namely @Neil ofthe nene @notneeded @ulladubulla and @Simon Walsh to mention a few.

You could say I am an experienced match angler,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not always great experiences results wise, but what the hell the banter alone is worth it. :D:D

davepellet

mid-70's works trip with my dad's works bus to somewhere in Lincolnshire, was definitely a river as opposed to a drain, but I have no clue which it was

I'd have been 12 or 13 & my dad arranged it for me, a mate of his would look after me... which meant buying me breakfast & watching I got to my peg safely, then he disappeared for the duration of the match to fish his own peg...

it was my first works outing, first time I'd fished a big, deep river & I came 7th overall... think there would have been 40 odd fishing
9lb 2oz of eels... I beat their junior team captain by 4lb from the same section, so I was well happy with that

overall, I suppose I enjoyed it but I wasn't over keen to go on subsequent trips, I was very shy at the time so it was a proper big deal for me having a full day out with people I didn't know... I've since overcome (and some might say overcompensated?) for that shyness, much to my wife's distress as I'll stand and talk to anybody these days

it would be almost 20 years until I fished my next match

squimp

Site Supporter
I think I’ve only fished about 4 matches in my life.

the first was an open on the river Lea Crown fishery in about 1974/5. Dickie Carr etc etc were there. God knows why a spotty 16 yr old thought he should take on those guys.

I drew peg 100. A feature peg surrounded by 20 rubbish pegs. Some bloke approached me after the draw and tried to buy that peg off me. no idea how that works ?

i fished a waggler down the far side past the tree stump feature and blanked. Part of the problem was that my catapult wasn’t great. It was made from the frame of a potato masher with elastic whipped on and a pouch made by my mum........Most of my loose feed landed halfway across the river. And my fingers hurt from being hit by the pouch.

The next one was the Suffolk stour champs about 3 years later. I blanked again, but one of my mates fluked a 4lb tench which along with a handful of roach actually won the day ! £120 was a lot of money to a 19 year old.

No more serious matches since then, thank goodness.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
first match would have been one organised by the local council - the "Camden Angling Championship" on the Regent's Canal in London in the late 70s. I drew just on the Little Venice side of London Zoo.
iirc I had one roach and a few sticklebacks ... I wasn't very good back then.

After that we moved to Bedfordshire and I started fishing the Great Ouse. The local junior club was actually Rushden AA, so I fished a couple of junior matches at Bletsoe on the Ouse and Glebe Meadow on the Nene. I remember being mortified because a girl beat me !!!
As an older teenager I then also joined Vauxhall AC, who didn't have a junior section, so just fished the adult matches and opens.

Before my first win (in about 1982 or 3) I remember two debacles well:
1. on peg 13 at Harrold in an evening open (three pegs from Heapsy as well), which was a shallow flier, I got the chub feeding really well - unfortunately my casters were all floaters and I couldn't hook a fish with a hook in one. At one point I cast over a branch ... a chub took the dangling bait, but I couldn't free the rig!! doh!!

2. On a peg near the top of Hurdlefoot at Radwell (where Richard Carden caught a venue record 79 pounds of chub a few years later). I had a decent shoal of chub in front of me, but found every way of losing them possible. I can still picture one of them ... casting out and putting the rod in rests to fire the catapult - to promplty have the rod tip wrench around ... ping! I ended up with about 11 pounds and last in the frame, but lost enough to easily win the match. Never did draw that peg again.

90sGear

Site Supporter
12years old used to stay in Gloucester with my Dad's uncle to fish for a week each year. Entered an evening match on a gravel pit in Frampton upon seven. Wasn't allowed in the pools and got stuck out the way if the others as they said 'would need help, get in the way'. Set up my one rod with a screw in quiver tip chucked out my only cage feeder painted pink by me for some reason. We'll come weigh in my two bream for 12lb odd beat the next best weight was 2lb of bits. Much muttering ensued between the locals and my Dad's uncle said they should have a sip round and buy me crisps and a coke at the local ?

The next evening it was another match on the Gloucester canal at Frampton, second after losing first place as the trout I had didn't count, only had about 4lb all caught on my entry level 6m glass fibre pole with the only rig I owned.

Wasn't invited the next year!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
School match on the local river was first ever, didn't have much of a clue.................i know, re-arrange the following: don't , and, still.