My First CHUB! Finally :)

Some of you may have seen on my last post, that I thought i had finally caught my first chub, then to be informed they were in fact Dace! My knowledge is still growing. Anways, yesterday I did actually catch my first chub! FINALLY. On a little river in Yorkshire, found a deeper spot and ledgered a worm, worked a treat and got a few, nothing of any massive size, but lovely and a great day anyway.

I caught these after following some great advice from members of the YDAA and members of this forum, so thank you all for being patient with a novice river angler and giving some amazing advice.

Question;

1) How to keep cheese paste on the hook? I've been told not to hair rig for chub as they spit the bait back out. They loved the worm, but got a lot more bites with cheese paste, but couldn't hook a single one. I was wrapping it round a smaller piece of breadflake.

Attachments

• pixlr_20201202170749369_20201203101430904.jpg
    pixlr_20201202170749369_20201203101430904.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 32

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Congratulations, a brilliant trio of river Roach (y)

Only kidding ;)

Nice ones and a photo as well :)

Regarding the cheese paste, have you tried mixing it with bread to make it a bit firmer?
Alternatively get some Sheep's wool off the fences and pull enough off to mix with a bit of paste. It will give the hook something to hold onto and being natural can be digested by the fish if they do swallow it.

Congratulations, a brilliant trio of river Roach (y)

Only kidding ;)

Nice ones and a photo as well :)

Regarding the cheese paste, have you tried mixing it with bread to make it a bit firmer?
Alternatively get some Sheep's wool off the fences and pull enough off to mix with a bit of paste. It will give the hook something to hold onto and being natural can be digested by the fish if they do swallow it.
Haha Dave! I was dreading that :ROFLMAO:

Thanks very much though, I will definitely try that with the wool - though I think you're on to something with the bread mix, my paste is a bit too soft I think, very stretchy. Much appreciated

buygoodtackle

Why not use cheese neat! I have found with chub that molding a piece around a size 10 gets plenty of hook ups. I find St Paulin's to be good, it is softish to start but firms up once dunked in water (at this time of year) . Good luck

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The thing with paste is matching it to the water temperature and flow - the colder the water the softer the paste, the faster the water flow the firmer the paste (if you're holding back in the flow), if going with the flow it's not that important as it will stay on the hook until you retrieve it.
It's all about getting the right balance - too firm it prevents the hook doing it's job, too soft and you end up with a bare hook.

If trotting down with a soft paste and losing the paste on the retrieve, every now and then drop a leger in with slightly stiffer paste on the hook just a bit further down the flow from where you've been retrieving from.
The bits that have come off will be sitting there and will form a nice baited area ;)

Zerkalo

Well done on the Chub! I can't offer any help on the Cheese Paste unfortunately as I've tried it and had similar problems as quite a fast flow where I fish.

david white

Site Supporter
Some of you may have seen on my last post, that I thought i had finally caught my first chub, then to be informed they were in fact Dace! My knowledge is still growing. Anways, yesterday I did actually catch my first chub! FINALLY. On a little river in Yorkshire, found a deeper spot and ledgered a worm, worked a treat and got a few, nothing of any massive size, but lovely and a great day anyway.

I caught these after following some great advice from members of the YDAA and members of this forum, so thank you all for being patient with a novice river angler and giving some amazing advice.

Question;

1) How to keep cheese paste on the hook? I've been told not to hair rig for chub as they spit the bait back out. They loved the worm, but got a lot more bites with cheese paste, but couldn't hook a single one. I was wrapping it round a smaller piece of breadflake.

Nice one glad you got out on the river and are putting a few in the net ( river Rye ? )

Try goggle ‘ make cheese paste fishing bait ‘ quite a few methods

One tip I can pass on to you, get some danish blue and keep it in a plastic bag in the fridge ( bait fridge is preferable or you run the risk of it being thrown out by non fisher persons ) when it starts to ‘ mature ‘ it will leave a liquid like slime on the bag smear this on to your bread crust bait and flick it out into likely looking slacks and eddies as it tends to wash off the hook if the flow is too fast ( my school of thumb was two swan shot link ledger with 1 and 1/2 oz quiver tip if the tip bent round too much the current was too strong so use either a worm or cheese paste )

( ps I will get out on the bank at some point I’ll be in touch

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Caught hundreds of them over the years on the Bristol Avon.
I've always mixed the cheese with firm breadpaste, it shouldn't stick to your fingers. I use hair rigs with ready tied stops and mould the paste around that up to the hook bend. Try a frozen prawns as well.