My dad broke my rod today - disaster

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is the Korum 'quiver', not sure if right term? Rod sling maybe? It's padded at least.

Korum-Roving-Kit-Chair-And-Luggage-Coarse-Fishing-Kit-Brand-New-2019-K0290030-184216135114.jpeg

Check the line rating mate. 4lb is the max line rating on the ultra (3lb is as high as feels sensible with maxima) so I wouldn’t want to go with more than say 2.5lb hook lengths with it. I believe the 17ft is neither an ultra or a plus so may have different ratings but I doubt as high as a 4lb hooklength, might be better of with the 16ft signature pro if going that high. That said 0.12 is like 2.5lb in most lines so it might be alright.

Says 4lb+

• Suitable for reel lines from 3lb (1.4kg) to 5lb (2.3kg)
  • Suitable for hook lengths between 2lb to 4lb plus (0.11mm to 0.15mm)

0.11 Reflo is 3lb 6oz. 0.13 4lb 12oz.

Need around the for that Chub on my weir, even heavier on the feeder, but they fight harder on the feeder and I use a heavier rod.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Also worth saying that you're going to have to buy two rods now - as you'll be wanting a 13 or 14ft rod for waggler fishing options. This is a unique feature of the LXL design.
Oh well - perhaps that's why it's called retail therapy!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Also worth saying that you're going to have to buy two rods now - as you'll be wanting a 13 or 14ft rod for waggler fishing options. This is a unique feature of the LXL design.
Oh well - perhaps that's why it's called retail therapy!

Yeah it was a great multi use rod. Bit gutted to say the least.

I'm looking at a 13 or 14' Acolyte Plus in the future as it will double up as a slider rod.

Total

Site Supporter
100% agree a bare float rod in a quiver sounds like a recipe for a crunch! I do use a quiver sometimes but the float rods go in the actual bag bit in the middle in their tubes rather than strapped around the sides.

To reiterate....I wouldn't use a quiver for ANY type of rod when on the bank....I don't own a 'quiver' never have done, never will do.....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm happy enough with the Korum bag for Barbel and even Feeder rods. Don't want to be lugging a holdall around when fishing rivers. :unsure:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
To reiterate....I wouldn't use a quiver for ANY type of rod when on the bank....I don't own a 'quiver' never have done, never will do.....
A passionate dislike of them it seems! I’d never use them for what they are intended for as in carrying rods semi set up but I do like them as a lighter, more accessible and less less bulky way than rods in tubes than some rod bags. As @Zerkalo say lugging big holdalls isn’t great for on rivers, or small cars! That said the smaller hard tube rod bags do seem a good option.

Says 4lb+

• Suitable for reel lines from 3lb (1.4kg) to 5lb (2.3kg)
  • Suitable for hook lengths between 2lb to 4lb plus (0.11mm to 0.15mm)

0.11 Reflo is 3lb 6oz. 0.13 4lb 12oz.

Need around the for that Chub on my weir, even heavier on the feeder, but they fight harder on the feeder and I use a heavier rod.
You should be good to go then ??

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah think I'm definitely going for an Acolyte. Want to see what the fuss is about. :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There is doubt in my mind but if it is no good for what I want I'm sure I can always sell it.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The 17 foot Acolyte will be fine with 4lb hooklengths and you can store it set up in a standard 12 foot sleeve or hardcase no problem if you wish as each section is just under 6 foot

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I still cant see how if the rod was taken down and in a bag only that the single section broke when stood on

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use a quiver style holdall on the river, but then I rarely roam, setting up in a single swim for the day and the rods are kept in tubes in the quiver (drennan speci) and stripped down on the bank after the session, the drennan comfortably carries 4 tubes

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here’s a pic of the break. I’ve just checked and it’s actually the tip section. It’s taken an eye off too. Must have caught it with his foot!

2020-10-14 17.36.04.jpg

Stufish

I'd have got some levelling compound on that floor before I painted it, looks like the surface of the moon! ??

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah it's just a painted garage floor. With added wood chippings. :)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
FWIW - that "should" be repairable with a short spigot and some araldite.
5 minutes to whip on another eye.
Most tackle shops will have a selection of offcuts (pole no 1 sections for example) that could be tried for fit.

PJG

Zerkalo, this might help? I have a LXL 14/18ft rod and a 14ft Mach 3 - the tips are interchangeable and have identical action. Maybe if you can get a tip section for a 13ft Mach 3 (much later model) you can still use your 13/17ft LXL?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
FWIW - that "should" be repairable with a short spigot and some araldite.
5 minutes to whip on another eye.
Most tackle shops will have a selection of offcuts (pole no 1 sections for example) that could be tried for fit.
Looks pretty repairable to me, could maybe even whip the eye over the break after spigotted and glued making the repair invisible.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Zerkalo, this might help? I have a LXL 14/18ft rod and a 14ft Mach 3 - the tips are interchangeable and have identical action. Maybe if you can get a tip section for a 13ft Mach 3 (much later model) you can still use your 13/17ft LXL?

Sounds like an idea thanks! I'll enquire with KP Spares and see if they have one. Will also look into repairing it.