My dad broke my rod today - disaster

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don’t doubt the action just think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the difference in holding that compared to a modern equivalent. Have to say I’m well impressed with how you’ve taken straight to a 17ft rod first go at trotting as I don’t thinking could get on with one that long, 15ft is about my limit.

I have to admit the way I'm using it is a bit basic, because of the length I'm able to fish close in without really casting much, so just fishing it like a whip but with underarm casting and then letting line peel off. I think if I had a shorter rod I'd have to cast further so it's ideal for a beginner and the fish seem to come close in where I fish it anyway.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Family must come first and love my dad dearly so not going to entirely blame him, but it does make me a bit concerned about possibly getting an Acolyte now as I have heard they break easily so looking for alternatives if I can't sort out this one.

Maybe the Maver Signature 16' if not the Tricast 17' but I want a long rod again having used this.
Give KP Spares a call, in Redditch area, he has everything. Kpspares.co.uk

Dropon

I have a Maver 15/18 Jurassic power float rod I will sell ideal roach chub and smallish barbel. £45 plus carriage or you can collect if that’s convienient.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a Maver 15/18 Jurassic power float rod I will sell ideal roach chub and smallish barbel. £45 plus carriage or you can collect if that’s convienient.

Very generous mate thank you! I'll send you a PM.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Judging by its age I think you’ll find most modern rods a lot lighter than the shakey
I know you’re only a young ‘un Silverfisher ;) But it’s more about what can be done at a price point than age. the model is only about 12 years old and weights for float rods have barely moved in over 30 years

to illustrate, all 13 foot, with approx year of release over last 30+ years
tri-cast aristocrat: 168g (1988)
shakespeare excelsior 150g (1998)
Shakespeare LXL ...... 174g (2008)
cadence #2 ....... 172g ((2018)

I’ve also copied some weights from a Sam Vimes post below for more comparisons.
but in the end, balance and action are going to be the determinants when there is only an ounce difference in weight on the scales.

worth saying that the Shakespeare LXL at 17ft is quite unwieldy in comparison to a 13ft rod. It’s also a full 100g heavier (274g) than the 13ft version. Some of that weight is no doubt to help balance and stiffness.
However, the 12/16 variant weighs a mere 216g, which is not that much more than the Maver signature pro at 16 foot (which is a fair slice more money - albeit still available). It is also lighter than the published weight for the 16ft cadence.
as a long rod I much prefer the 16ft LXL to the 17ft version.

The following are all 13' hollow tipped rods:-
Browning Sphere Match --------------------------- 144g
Drennan Acolyte Ultra ----------------------------- 146g
Drennan Acolyte Plus ------------------------------ 150g
Tri-Cast Allerton Waggler -------------------------- 156g
Maver Matchwinner Liquid Crystal ---------------- 177g
Normark Microlight II ------------------------------ 177g
Normark Titan II ----------------------------------- 178g
Shimano Speedcast ------------------------------- 193g
Daiwa (Tom Pickering) Matchwinner-S Waggler - 195g
Daiwa (Tom Pickering Matchwinner Waggler ----- 195g
Daiwa Air AGS ------------------------------------- 205g
Shimano Aerocast --------------------------------- 219g

Here are a few longer, or spliced tip, rods that may give lie to some of the less realistic claims for some of the above rods being lightweight.

13' Tri-Cast Allerton (spliced tip) --------- 162g
13'6" Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River - 162g
15' Drennan Acolyte Ultra ---------------- 168g
15' Drennan Acolyte Plus ----------------- 169g
15' Maver Signature Pro Classic ---------- 179g
15'6" Browning Sphere Splice Tip River - 184g
17' Drennan Acolyte Float ---------------- 199g

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I know you’re only a young ‘un Silverfisher ;) But it’s more about what can be done at a price point than age. the model is only about 12 years old and weights for float rods have barely moved in over 30 years

to illustrate, all 13 foot, with approx year of release over last 30+ years
tri-cast aristocrat: 168g (1988)
shakespeare excelsior 150g (1998)
Shakespeare LXL ...... 174g (2008)
cadence #2 ....... 172g ((2018)

I’ve also copied some weights from a Sam Vimes post below for more comparisons.
but in the end, balance and action are going to be the determinants when there is only an ounce difference in weight on the scales.

worth saying that the Shakespeare LXL at 17ft is quite unwieldy in comparison to a 13ft rod. It’s also a full 100g heavier (274g) than the 13ft version. Some of that weight is no doubt to help balance and stiffness.
However, the 12/16 variant weighs a mere 216g, which is not that much more than the Maver signature pro at 16 foot (which is a fair slice more money - albeit still available). It is also lighter than the published weight for the 16ft cadence.
as a long rod I much prefer the 16ft LXL to the 17ft version.
That’s an interesting read. So the Shakespeare is indeed a whole chunk heavier than most other rods of such lengths. So I was off on the age point a bit but at least right that most rods he could get would be a lot lighter ??

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Some rods .... according to the tricast website the trilogy x 17ft is 282g!

it would seem that the step from 16 to 17 ft is a big one .... which makes the acolyte even more special!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some rods .... according to the tricast website the trilogy x 17ft is 282g!

it would seem that the step from 16 to 17 ft is a big one .... which makes the acolyte even more special!
I think the acolytes and spheres (and from what I’ve heard rives) have set the bench mark when it comes to rod weights now. When I weighed my 13ft ultra and 13ft CR10 #1 the ultra came in at something like 140-145g which feels so much lighter than than the CR10 at something like 160-165g.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just about to press the button on a 17ft Acolyte. Dads putting half to it so can't really miss this chance. I use 0.12 Stroft (that's 4lb) hooklengths on my weir for Chub and so reckon it will handle those?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah true. At the moment they usually just go in tubes when in storage. Another thing I worry about is carrying rods in my Korum Quiver (the one that comes with the Ruckbag Roving kit) as no space for tubes so they just go in there when taking to the river.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Total storing in tubes is fine, no? As for the quiver, bit of a dilemma really as like travelling as light as possible on the river, it's fine for barbel rods but would be loathe to put a £240 float rod in a quiver without tubes. Do Korum or anyone do a quiver with a bit more protection for rods or space for tubes?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I use an old Preston hardcase 8 tube, for the river, my float rods are in tubes but the 12ft Barbel rod is too long so goes in the case just in its bag, it's a bit cumbersome but it protects everything enough.

Total

Site Supporter
@Total storing in tubes is fine, no? As for the quiver, bit of a dilemma really as like travelling as light as possible on the river, it's fine for barbel rods but would be loathe to put a £240 float rod in a quiver without tubes. Do Korum or anyone do a quiver with a bit more protection for rods or space for tubes?

Yes, always in tubes when not in use or when stored at home....I won't use a 'quiver' end of.....Asking for trouble IMO, re breakages etc....Plenty of hard ready rod bags available offering ample protection and available space for your bits on the bank....(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just about to press the button on a 17ft Acolyte. Dads putting half to it so can't really miss this chance. I use 0.12 Stroft (that's 4lb) hooklengths on my weir for Chub and so reckon it will handle those?
Check the line rating mate. 4lb is the max line rating on the ultra (3lb is as high as feels sensible with maxima) so I wouldn’t want to go with more than say 2.5lb hook lengths with it. I believe the 17ft is neither an ultra or a plus so may have different ratings but I doubt as high as a 4lb hooklength, might be better of with the 16ft signature pro if going that high. That said 0.12 is like 2.5lb in most lines so it might be alright.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes, always in tubes when not in use or when stored at home....I won't use a 'quiver' end of.....Asking for trouble IMO, re breakages etc....Plenty of hard ready rod bags available offering ample protection and available space for your bits on the bank....(y)
100% agree a bare float rod in a quiver sounds like a recipe for a crunch! I do use a quiver sometimes but the float rods go in the actual bag bit in the middle in their tubes rather than strapped around the sides.