My dad broke my rod today - disaster

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Family must come first and love my dad dearly so not going to entirely blame him, but it does make me a bit concerned about possibly getting an Acolyte now as I have heard they break easily so looking for alternatives if I can't sort out this one.

Maybe the Maver Signature 16' if not the Tricast 17' but I want a long rod again having used this.

Total

Site Supporter
Family must come first and love my dad dearly so not going to entirely blame him, but it does make me a bit concerned about possibly getting an Acolyte now as I have heard they break easily so looking for alternatives if I can't sort out this one.

Maybe the Maver Signature 16' if not the Tricast 17' but I want a long rod again having used this.

Take your time mate, try the KP Spares root first and go from there....(y).....You'll sort it....Have faith.....;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

Acolytes will only break if you don't use them properly, I suspect a lot of the early breakages (which seem to have stopped now) were due to misuse by people not used to out and out silvers rods as much as anything. They may have not been as well designed to start with but drennan deny that, either way you don't hear of many breakages anymore. They won't survive getting trod on mind you but then not much will which is why my float rods are always in tubes when not set up on the bank.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Acolytes will only break if you don't use them properly, I suspect a lot of the early breakages (which seem to have stopped now) were due to misuse by people not used to out and out silvers rods as much as anything. They may have not been as well designed to start with but drennan deny that, either way you don't hear of many breakages anymore. They won't survive getting trod on mind you but then not much will which is why my float rods are always in tubes when not set up on the bank.

After a long Chub rod more than anything.

K.p spares is,nt in Redditch by any chance is it?

Hopefully so, seems that way from google, just down the road.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After a long Chub rod more than anything.
I reckon the maver will suit you pretty well, without going mega bucks it's as close as you'll get to acolytes for weight and feels more of an all rounder as the actions feels somewhere between an acolyte ultra and plus.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I reckon the maver will suit you pretty well, without going mega bucks it's as close as you'll get to acolytes for weight and feels more of an all rounder as the actions feels somewhere between an acolyte ultra and plus.

Any thoughts on the Tricast Trilogy X?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Any thoughts on the Tricast Trilogy X?
Don't know much about tricasts unfortunately mate as they are a bit thin on the ground in shops and generally out of my price range. I've handled a couple but couldn't tell you what ones. Whatever they were felt nice but not to the extent that acolytes, spheres, signature pros or essential ultralights do given they tend to cost more than some of those.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Bobco are doing 17ft trilogy's for about £230 at the minute. Nice rod for bigger rivers, it will probably be a lump faster than the shaky and a bit lighter to. However no 17ft rod is going to be lightweight, I think for Chub from rivers like the Wye or Severn then my choice would be either a Tri-cast trilogy or John allerton or a maver signature pro if you can go with 16ft.
But my 1st stop would be to try to get a spare section if you are happy with the shaky, not sure about a repair though as I have never been happy with any rods/poles that I have had repaired, it might just be that I know it isn't quite right

bluemack

Site Supporter
Thanks Total/Zerkalo ,i,ve just had a look but unfortunately they dont do shimano spares,i need a top for
an old Technium 390fa. if anyone see,s one about.(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I cant quite wrap my head around your Dad standing on your rod,

was it laid on the floor ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I cant quite wrap my head around your Dad standing on your rod,

was it laid on the floor ?

No stood up but there's loads of MDF in the garage at the moment from the panelling my dads doing in the hallway. Don't know how he managed it.
Bobco are doing 17ft trilogy's for about £230 at the minute. Nice rod for bigger rivers, it will probably be a lump faster than the shaky and a bit lighter to. However no 17ft rod is going to be lightweight, I think for Chub from rivers like the Wye or Severn then my choice would be either a Tri-cast trilogy or John allerton or a maver signature pro if you can go with 16ft.
But my 1st stop would be to try to get a spare section if you are happy with the shaky, not sure about a repair though as I have never been happy with any rods/poles that I have had repaired, it might just be that I know it isn't quite right

KP got back to me very quickly and no longer have spares for this 'long discontinued range of rods'. I'll still look at a potential repair but if the Tricast is lighter than the Shakey I might go for that as I had no problems with the Shakey at 17ft but did find that length made it very easy to fish a stick not only on the Severn but was also the right length for the weir I fish. There's one Trilogy X left at Bobco so might order today.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No stood up but there's loads of MDF in the garage at the moment from the panelling my dads doing in the hallway. Don't know how he managed it.

KP got back to me very quickly and no longer have spares for this 'long discontinued range of rods'. I'll still look at a potential repair but if the Tricast is lighter than the Shakey I might go for that as I had no problems with the Shakey at 17ft but did find that length made it very easy to fish a stick not only on the Severn but was also the right length for the weir I fish. There's one Trilogy X left at Bobco so might order today.
Judging by its age I think you’ll find most modern rods a lot lighter than the shakey

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I rated the Shakey quite highly! Lovely action to it.
I don’t doubt the action just think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the difference in holding that compared to a modern equivalent. Have to say I’m well impressed with how you’ve taken straight to a 17ft rod first go at trotting as I don’t thinking could get on with one that long, 15ft is about my limit.