My Coldest memory

DOGDACE

Growing up in an era when houses had metal window frames and no central heating it was so cold that there were icicles on the inside of windows during the winter . Outbreaks of Impetigo at school and I lived in a "posh" part of town !

tee.bee

Site Supporter
Back in 1983 work for a landscaping firm and had to drive an old David Brown tractor and trailor from liverpool to colwyn bay in the snow.The cab on the tractor was made of plastic and canvass with no back window.Got as far as little chef on A55 got out for a cup of tea and my legs wouldnt work they were that cold

PJG

An earlier post reminded me - when I was a kid we had no central heating or double glazing. I had to scrape ice from the inside of the bedroom windows! Blimey - I sound like a right old git!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haha, a mate who I was with darn sarf had to go from Winchester to Coventry and back one weekend - on his motorbike (1100 Kwak).
He got there, pulled up outside his parent's house, went to put his leg down to stand the bike and his leathers had frozen solid, the bike toppled over with him rigour mortised in his leathers :D

Chervil

Site Supporter
When we were first married and living in Northern Germany, My wife hung the washing out. It was like something out of a film. Everything froze solid in the shape it was in.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
Coldest fishing day was on the river Dee at Farndon a few years ago it was frozen solid with a foot of snow on it ice breaker wouldnt touch it .After a few minutes l heard a loud noise and thought a car had drove into the river but it was the tide coming in and broke the ice it was like an earthquake

G20

Site Supporter
Mongolia in '95 Ulanbataar city..never saw the ice melting but it reduced daily by the drying atmosphere -30+
Moscow winter of '96 that was cold too.
'47 ( I think)..........p***- pot frozen over under the bed; had to blow on the window to melt the frost to see out!..no central heating then

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I was born in 1962, and have seen some photos with me in a pram ontop of the snow with the top of a telegraph pole next to me sticking up about a foot.
I left school in 1978 and started an apprenticeship in a Ford truck dealership about 10 miles away. I used to ride Moto x back then and had a Puch moped to get to work. There was a guy in the same village who worked in the same town,Chippenham. He had a big Harley and used to pass me every morning and evening. We had quite a bad winter in 78 , and I have never been so cold riding that moped to work. One day it snowed all day and going home at about 6pm I came up behind this guy on his Harley doing about 10mph with both his feet down. I went past him at full chat, about 50 I suppose. That’s the only time I ever passed him.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Winter of 2009/10, the high low thermometer in the milking parlour went down to -17 to -20 most nights and never got warmer than -1, even with the heat from 40 cows a time in there.

Couldn’t use the hose pipe to swill out as it turned to sheet ice and was lethally slippery. Draped two HGV curtain sides over the parlour and had a heater at either end and a risky fire in an old oil drum in the middle to defrost the pipe work that froze solid every night. Water troughs and pipe work all froze solid. It was difficult to make sure all the cows had enough drinking water.

Had to drive round on an old Ford 3600 tractor that had the cab cut off so it would fit in the old buildings and a metal seat to sit on. Telehandler and tractor got left outside one night by a dozy pillock. Ford wouldn’t start at 04:30 next morning and the telehandler cab door was frozen shut.

Washing my hands under the cold tap warmed them up.

davylad

Site Supporter
1963 was the coldest winter ever in some places, in Birmingham I think it was, the temperature never got above freezing point in the whole of January. The sea froze in some areas, and I remember the floating ice in the Humber. I don't think we'll see winters like that in our life times, no matter how young you are.

feldri

Site Supporter
I've seen some photos of the River Trent frozen over at Keadby. People were actually walking on it. Estimated to be about 3ft thick. 1947 I think it was. If I can find the photos I'll put them up.