My Coldest memory

Philocalist

Krakow, Boxing Day 1990 - we'd driven there that morning from Zakopane, on the border with what was then Czechoslovakia, where we were staying, in the mountains - chocolate-box scenery, about 2 metres of fresh snow every 24 hours, and averaging minus 17 degrees. Even at that temperature, somehow the cold did not seem so bad - bright sunshine and very dry.
In comparison, Krakow felt like walking into a meat-safe set to its lowest temperature. A stunning city, still one of my absolute favourites, but the temperatures, and being surrounded by unforgiving brickwork were staggering in comparison.
I remember finding a bar (that I still mange to visit most years) that was owned at the time by a very genial Pole, who ran the place with the help of his wife and two daughters - who introduced me to the concept of vodka straight from the freezer - it was so cold it was literally syrupy, but hit like central heating when you could eventually get it down.
Bloody COVID :mad: - 2020 was the first year I've not had a drink in there since :rolleyes:

PJG

As a kid in 62/63 I clearly remember Stanmore Common ponds frozen over. The ice was 6 inches thick and kids were riding push bikes over them.

For six years I was a milkman, I loved it. One winter I remember delivering milk through two foot snow drifts, you couldn't see the road kerbs, the milk was freezing and lifting the silver tops, numb fingers, feet and brain!

Once I was pike fishing on a half frozen gravel pit. I was getting so cold I wanted to go to sleep, I realised what was happening and forced myself to move and pack up!

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
As a kid in 62/63 I clearly remember Stanmore Common ponds frozen over. The ice was 6 inches thick and kids were riding push bikes over them.

For six years I was a milkman, I loved it. One winter I remember delivering milk through two foot snow drifts, you couldn't see the road kerbs, the milk was freezing and lifting the silver tops, numb fingers, feet and brain!

Once I was pike fishing on a half frozen gravel pit. I was getting so cold I wanted to go to sleep, I realised what was happening and forced myself to move and pack up!
I used to help the Milkman on our estate round, i remember them cold Bottles mate, i sometimes wonder how thet electric non ride float worked its way through the snow.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Easter 1982 (same time as the Falklands war broke out) I was working in Germany and it was -20 at night and we had early 4:30am starts.
However, we finished around lunchtime and spent several days windsurfing on a local lake - barmy weather.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Easter 1982 (same time as the Falklands war broke out) I was working in Germany and it was -20 at night and we had early 4:30am starts.
However, we finished around lunchtime and spent several days windsurfing on a local lake - barmy weather.
I got asked to go to Germany with a gang of Plasterers in 1983 after my Apprenticeship was done, i turned it Down cos i had money then to get my first season ticket and could afford to go to away games, sometimes the Love of your life stops other things happening.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I wonder because I was born in November 62 so 1st few months of my life was freezing cold has effected by body. Only place I get cold is my head. Woolly hat on most winter. But never get cold feet or hands. Never wear long socks. Got a couple of pairs for wellies.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Also when I get temperature taking with that machine on forehead. I also lower that rest of family.
or is that a age thing. Normally 36 to 36.2

rudd

Site Supporter
February 1980something, Seal launching a canoe off a bridge at Scouts sight in Chingford into the bomb hole.
Through a layer of ice into about 2ft of water.
Ice cracked, canoe nose plunged into a few feet of silt.
Suspened in limbo for a few seconds waiting for the inevitable.
Canoe slowly rotated and through the ice I fell.
After being dragged out, run down to shower block (3 or 4 minutes run)into a hot shower fully clothed to defrost.