My Coldest memory

John Step

Site Supporter
Winter of 62/63. Started a paper round just after Christmas and had to wade through the snow. So cold I started feeling faint and curled up in a porchway of a house quite disorientated and started feeling dreamy. Luckily the householder saw me and roused me.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
62/63 I stopped using my motorbike to go to and from work. I had a week of mountain activities at Plas y Brennin Capel Curig in Feb 63 when the county council were still subsidising such things.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Coldest place I've ever been was Moscow in the winter about 10 years ago.

Wasn't too bad as I had a local contact looking after me. He knew how to keep out of the cold and just dive outside for taxis etc. I think it was minus 20 to minus 30 at the time, with minus 50 not uncommon.

It didn't feel too bad at the time, but then again I don't feel the cold like normal people.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
A couple of exercises where it snowed pretty heavily. There worst being the one where the DI staff relieved us all of our Bergens leaving us with what we were stood up in. They expected us to kip in shell scrapes when we weren't on stag. I stood up and wedged my head (in a kevlar helmet) between forked branches of a tree. I slept better that way than the loons lying on the deck.

Christmas/New Year 96/97 on guard night shifts. It got quite parky, but an almost pointless holiday duty always makes you more miserable. I've been to colder places but I didn't usually have to stay put in a concrete sangar for three hours at a time.

Having missed out on all of the really cold places in the world I might have gone to, I suspect the coldest I managed was a Falkland Island mountain site. Thankfully, the longest we stayed outside when the weather was bad was when marshalling and unloading the resupply chopper.

I was always quite happy to avoid cold places, even if it meant going to exceedingly hot sandy places.

grumpy44

Site Supporter
i was working for my father in 63 (building). we had little or no work for 3 months (and no money). one. job we had was to build a kiosk on the side of a petrol station, it was that cold we dug the footings with hammer and chisel. another was a flat roof it was that cold i had the blow lamp on my boots until they caught fire.....happy days

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I would say apart from 63 the other one would be around 1980 when I was working at RAF Saxa Vord on the Isle of Unst in the Shetlands, not only snow but high winds as well.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
December 1983 - on the way home from Thailand & had to change planes at Bucharest. I'd just left 90° & we were left standing on the tarmac in -5°. Me wearing a pair of beach shoes with no socks :rolleyes:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I would say apart from 63 the other one would be around 1980 when I was working at RAF Saxa Vord on the Isle of Unst in the Shetlands, not only snow but high winds as well.
I started my apprenticeship september 1980 and was at College for the first 6 months so missed that winter. the next one was my first 81 -82 Cold and gave me an idea what id let me sen in for, im still here 40 years on (y) (y) I remember my lad leaving school 2007 and coming to work with me, after Xmas we started a Refurb of a old Nunnery and it was Cold it had snowed and Froze and was blowing a very bone chilling wind, he looked at me and Said, im ringing me Mam, i said Why? he said to get me an application for f******* Asda :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hes still with me (y)

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I started my apprenticeship september 1980 and was at College for the first 6 months so missed that winter. the next one was my first 80 - 81 Cold and gave me an idea what id let me sen in for, im still here 40 years on (y) (y) I remember my lad leaving school 2007 and coming to work with me, after Xmas we started a Refurb of a old Nunnery and it was Cold it had snowed and Froze and was blowing a very bone chilling wind, he looked at me and Said, im ringing me Mam, i said Why? he said to get me an application for f******* Asda :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hes still with me (y)
I took voluntary redundancy from Dept of Environment after 11 years in 81, was travelling all over the country, sometimes a couple of days other times a month, I was going to Shetlands 4 times a year ,a month at a time. I had two little lads and I was missing them growing up. So I went to agricultural college for 12 months, thats when I was back and too to Nantwich in winter of 81.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I took voluntary redundancy from Dept of Environment after 11 years in 81, was travelling all over the country, sometimes a couple of days other times a month, I was going to Shetlands 4 times a year ,a month at a time. I had two little lads and I was missing them growing up. So I went to agricultural college for 12 months, thats when I was back and too to Nantwich in winter of 81.
My lad was with me on jobs or on the Bank at every given chance, he could Plaster to a High standard at 14 - 15 i even wanted my Little Gert Jnr to be a plasterer tekkin her on a few jobs to get em prepared, she loved the Money but couldnt do with the Muck, Spiders and Cold.

R0B

All my coldest memories involve motorbike rides. Either to and from work when I was 17 in the olden days where clothing wasn't up to modern standards, then a couple of years ago when I decided to move my bike 70 miles to my new workshop on the coldest day of the year. All very silly and a cold which doesn't go away until you make yourself overly warm for the next day.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Winter of 2008 we were living in the scottish highlands, not far from Braemar. We had a week where the daytime temp didn't get above -10C, even colder at night.
Braemar held the record for the lowest recorded temp in UK
I remember playing golf at Braemar golf club one morning in June. We were standing on the first tee and play was interrupted by a blzzard :D

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Another Thing is i live in the Middle of the Country in Leeds as ya know, a few years back i went to London to start a Job on a outdoor Skateboard park on Feb 14 and was down there for 2 week, when i got back i was in the local pub and everyone thought id been abroad with the tan i had, id ring my Gert and she would say it had been cold whilst we had been in shorts and T Shirts all Fortnite.

Line Clip

i was working for my father in 63 (building). we had little or no work for 3 months (and no money). one. job we had was to build a kiosk on the side of a petrol station, it was that cold we dug the footings with hammer and chisel. another was a flat roof it was that cold i had the blow lamp on my boots until they caught fire.....happy days
The good old building trade, I was working on a roof replacing some rafters on a farm house that winter so cold, could not feel fingers or toes, wearing
loads of clobber , Then boss comes out to the job, says can you go back to the town NOW to the local post office they have a broken glass window.
Got there to find the heating on full blast, I was that hot, felt so bad that night face burning, chilblain, toes , fingers, my face was red for days, and the itching from the chilblains drove me scatty for a week .
To this day if I have been out in the cold I always worm up gradually ,
We didn't have the good clothing as we have now.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
remember walking to junior school maybe 1976 snow up to my knees i was one of tallest in class school shut next day
hot summer writing my name on melting road tar
driving around york one winter ice hanging off wing mirrors of van windscreen frozen no washers they was frozen had to keep stopping to clear windscreen so could see would be after 1994

Last edited:

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
Working on a Aircraft in Prague outside in December 2010 lying in the snow changing an Anti-skid unit it was -17.

endpeg

Site Supporter
Loading my gritter at 5am during the bad Weather in 2010 thermometer reading -15 .

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
middle class problem - alpine skiing can be tricky- you need to dress warmly enough for the inactive bits (chair lifts) but not so much that you overheat with the exertion (bump runs). Windchill is always the danger in my experience.
three of my coldest memories:
  1. 1989 on the glacier on the Zugspitze in Germany - snow melting on my face and then refreezing as water ice on the stubble!
  2. late 90s in Canada - at a place called sunshine mountain - the chair lift broke down and we were stuck on it for nearly an hour in very cold temperatures with no escape!
  3. around the Millenium at the top of the Gornergrat in Zermatt. -25c in the middle of the day plus windchill .... one run, then in to restaurant to warm up ... rinse, repeat.