My blood is boiling

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've just found out that my 12 year old nephew has had his new bike stolen. He was out with his friends and they left their bikes for 5 minutes. When they returned his bike was missing (all the others were still there). He is, understandably, very upset. He had saved his spending money, from my dad, for months to buy it. The bike was a Carrera Hellcat and it was taken from the canal bank at Langley Mill (notts). He reported it to the police but apart from giving him a crime number, they said there was little they could do. If anyone lives in the area and notices someone with an unexpected new bike please pm the details.

Fireblade929

Site Supporter
Keep an eye on FB Marketplace, Craiglist & Gumtree, that's where friends have seen their kids bikes for sale after similar experiences.

Also worth checking your home insurance for coverage, they will want a crime ref number from the police.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Keep an eye on FB Marketplace, Craiglist & Gumtree, that's where friends have seen their kids bikes for sale after similar experiences.

Also worth checking your home insurance for coverage, they will want a crime ref number from the police.
His mum has got it on Facebook etc. Unfortunately her insurance doesn't cover it because it was stolen away from the home.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's very sad to hear. If the film The Bicycle Thief is anything to go by, definitely look for it being sold somewhere.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
You may see it advertised, but proving it is yours would be nigh on impossible without having the serial number or some identification mark on it, possession is 9/10 of the law they say, sadly.

Chervil

Site Supporter
People used to get their post code stamped under the bottom bracket underneath the crank. It was always useful when stopping people on cycles, which you were fairly certain were stolen, to ask if it had their postcode on it. We had a lot of cycle thefts at one of the places I worked, so we did loads of advertising that we would stamp cycles one Saturday. Not one person turned up! Not sure if you could stamp some of the newer bikes.

Things like this are useful, it may not stop your bike getting stolen, but may make it easier to get back.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
People used to get their post code stamped under the bottom bracket underneath the crank. It was always useful when stopping people on cycles, which you were fairly certain were stolen, to ask if it had their postcode on it. We had a lot of cycle thefts at one of the places I worked, so we did loads of advertising that we would stamp cycles one Saturday. Not one person turned up! Not sure if you could stamp some of the newer bikes.

Things like this are useful, it may not stop your bike getting stolen, but may make it easier to get back.

I have my Brompton marked thus.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Can you still get those markers which show up under ultra violet light?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you still get those markers which show up under ultra violet light?
Yeah but a 'good thief' knows to wipe the bike over with turps or white spirit!

As has already been mentioned stamping the initials and postcode in a couple of places can help, i used to do it with a lot of my stuff and the kids bikes, scooters, skateboards etc.