My beautiful River Trent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksdar

Hello All,

I want more fish in my river!

Walk my dog down there every morning & it saddens me to see the banks empty, apart from odd mysterious 'tent' with three, four, even five rods all neatly lined up just outside. Don't know what they do in there, don't seem to catch much [:D]

Question. Of the few fish in the river nowadays, I know there are lots of big shoals of Bream in & around Nottingham. Do they breed? Where do their fry go? Surely they don't just become 6lb+ 'slabs' from birth?!

Why is the Trent not restocked around Nottingham?

Why do rivers such as the Wye & Severn still hold enough stocks of silver fish to support matches & the Trent is as good as devoid?

Would a good Summer such as 1977 be the answer? I heard double spawning happened & resulted in Trent fish explosion.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Desparate of Nottingham

Simon R

Site Supporter
There's a number of reasons that the Trent is no longer the attraction it once was (I used to make the 250 mile round trip once a fortnight back in the mid-80s) - IMO the main ones are:

• The power stations - once they were either demolished or prevented from discharging water into the river the river cooled down - warmer water makes for more active fish and the reverse is also true
  • The sewage works - all upgraded to prevent any discharge of 'raw' sewage entering the river and the treated sewage was also cleaned up too - this had a two-fold effect - firstly the tiny little organisms at the bottom of the food chain found their primary source of food had disappeared, this in turn led to the larger organisms decreasing in number and the fish, at the top of the food chain, having less food to eat. As a knock-on effect the river also became much clearer
  • At the same time as the river became clearer the numbers of cormorants inland increased dramatically - and a nice clean river with lots of bite-sized fish was ideal for them
  • Also in the late-80s we saw the rise of the commercial fisheries - match anglers deserted the rivers in droves and so the umpteen gallons of bronze maggots and casters that entered the Trent every weekend also ceased

There still will be small fish in the river - those big fish that the strange creatures in their tents target will still breed, however there's no longer as much food in the river. Any river can only support a cetain amount of life - trouble is the Trent is a bloody, big river and therefore the fish may well be spread out along many miles. If anglers returned in numbers and introduced the sort of quantities of bait that was commonplace 20-odd years ago then the fish would return to those areas. If fish are getting fed they'll continue to frequent the same places.

Simon

Ivan heaphurst

I fish the Wye on holiday and small silver fish have declined in the river due to the black death. There used to be some good roach and dace to be had, alas no more.

Rich.T

Jacksdar where and how often do you fish it? Its stuffed with fish mate, Ive been on it today, like any natural venue if conditions are right you will bag up, there was loads fishing around Newark today, pleasure and Bivvy boys. Got talking to some bivvyboys and they'd had 13 barbel upto 11 lb, I had 5 different species in my catch though nothing over a pound.?

andyfp

Account Locked
Originally posted by petert

Make sure you are a member andyfp.

Are you a member ??
Good job i can answer for myself innit[:D]

Last edited:

petert

Yes I have been a member for 5 years, now good value for the number of waters there are. Not fished Rivers many times as there are good stillwaters around S****horpe and Brigg.

andyfp

Account Locked
Three years for me, i travel from Sunderland to fish the places, have you been on Thornton Abbey yet ?

Last time i was there. http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/110615

andyfp

Account Locked
Got 8 days booked for next month petert. Hoping to get on Lady Pitt and Warping Drain, Might see you there.

jacksdar

Jacksdar where and how often do you fish it? Its stuffed with fish mate, Ive been on it today, like any natural venue if conditions are right you will bag up, there was loads fishing around Newark today, pleasure and Bivvy boys. Got talking to some bivvyboys and they'd had 13 barbel upto 11 lb, I had 5 different species in my catch though nothing over a pound.?

I don't fish it very often TBH. Although going next Wednesday evening with a couple of local 'cracks' to see how the land lies.

Went a couple of times last year on club matches & both times were a struggle for most. An MD knock up on the Embankment threw up a few decent, mainly Roach, weights. A couple of seasons ago I had double figure net of Dace on Waggler 200 yards up from Suspension Bridge (Meadows side). Great mornings wangling [:T]

I missed a question out of my OP.

Do you think the Trent would attract more matches if the stock levels, and therefore match weights, echoed those of the long gone halcyon days?!

Just cannot stand sitting on commercials. My head keeps telling me something isn't right with them. Then when I see the weigh-in, I can see something ain't right with them [V]

jacksdar

adderton2

Live in Skegness now, only commercial fisheries available, booo.

The Trent though mmmm - such memories. Cut my teeth on the magnificent river, first at Trent Bridge in Nottingham with the old split-cane wooden reel, a Tizer bottle of tap water and egg sandwiches. Then later down Clifton Grove and at Beeston Weir.

Teeming with good roach then, in the 50s. Certainly no fancy kit - just hook, line,float and maggots (about 6pence a gallon) - and boiled wheat on pocket money days.- Heaven.

hempy

Alan
Darren mate you and i both know the river has been in decline for years.. What Simon has said is about right with the small fish sustaining the predators and the bigger species taking what food there is. What i will day is that the river may be crystal clear but it aint clean. That sounds a bit silly but after a session lift your keep net and see what its like, it will be covered with a brown scum. Funny but in an ireland thread there is the same discussion about poor catches and clear water is being muted as one reason. With the climate change we are experiencing i personaly think that nature is making its own change to accomodate the new "seasons"

Still venture down the viaducts later in the year and you may find some good roach fishing.....on the seed of course[:T]

nick2b

You would be amazed at the quantity of roach around the Nottingham area, not to mention the size and quanitity of the bream. The big problem is you can only catch them when there is flow and colour in the river.
These days the rivers fines off and clears so quickly that there is only a 2 day opportunity to catch after a flood.
I really don't believe any additional fish stocks would make that much difference.

andyfp

Account Locked
The Lady Pitt stretch is very prolific for barbel, 100lb bags of bream in the slower stretch are common.

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by Rich.T

100% correct Nick, the river is stuffed.

Oh how i wish you were right...

Maybe you, nick2b, jacksdar and myself could go down the road stretch when there is a coulour on and have a roach match.

Last year i spent hours there in clear AND coloured water biteless but i was on the float looking for the roach not the bream.

Not denying there are fish in the river but they are in pockets and if you arn't on em you are wasting you time[:C]

nick2b

Hempy, there is some truth in what you say. Last year, I fished behind the rowing course when there was water in and struggled in the morning as the water was just too boily. Tim in Matchman Supplies had told me that the day before when there was even more water in good bags of roach were being caught off the embankment. I I packed up in the afternoon and sat opposite the blue barge. In 3 hours on a 7 metre whip to hand I had 15lb of roach, 1 a chuck. I then went on the feeder and had 3 bream for 19lb. The next day I couldn't get back quick enough and guess what, the colour had gone and I didn't get a bite on the whip and ended up catching a few, much further out on the wag - and not a bite on the feeder.
I fished another day on a clear river on the road stretch, there were loads of fish in the 3 pegs below the outfall (and a lot of pike) - but below that it was like it was barren.
I think that one of the reasons the barbel have come to prominance is that they can be caught, albeit usually late on, on a clear river.

hempy

Alan
That is the patten of the river now nick. Early last October six of us had a fiddle on the steps and after 4 hours, 24 hours in total not one uf us had had a bite. I have been fishing the river for 54 years and seen its ups and downs but i have never seen it as bad as it is now. I trhink that with it being so clear the small "match" fish shoal up tight for protection reasons against all the predators, birds pike and Zander and that is why when you catch its fab but when you aint on em forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.