Mussels - raw or cooked ?

Derbyshirelad

Hi all,
New to this forum, read quite a few posts on baits used including mussels.
What works best - raw or cooked (I'm assuming the pickled ones are a no-no) ?

Feldy

I use these, take out what you need and leave rest in freezer.

Attachments

• cm.jpeg
    cm.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 15

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@Feldy
Always fancied giving them a go but never got around to it.
Piece of string question but how many would you normally take for a 6/8 hour session and how do you keep them when on the bank?

Feldy

@Feldy
Always fancied giving them a go but never got around to it.
Piece of string question but how many would you normally take for a 6/8 hour session and how do you keep them when on the bank?
One of my favourite baits to be honest, just keep in a tupperware container/bait box, I'd take around half a bag for a day session but they're cheap only £2.50 a bag.
I've never bothered adding any flavours etc, always done well on them.
Good luck.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Hi @Feldy Thank you for the quick reply

Would you store them in water (salted?) in the tub to stop them from drying out a bit or is that a good thing so as to make the skin a bit firmer for hooking?
You have whet my appetite now as I like trying different baits and that is a good price to mess about with :)

Feldy

Hi @Feldy Thank you for the quick reply

Would you store them in water (salted?) in the tub to stop them from drying out a bit or is that a good thing so as to make the skin a bit firmer for hooking?
You have whet my appetite now as I like trying different baits and that is a good price to mess about with :)
I don't bother with water, they're great for hooking and casting and rarely come off the hook, savage bites as well sometimes, If the fish are up for them you'll have a great day. I generally use them float fishing.

Derbyshirelad

I don't bother with water, they're great for hooking and casting and rarely come off the hook, savage bites as well sometimes, If the fish are up for them you'll have a great day. I generally use them float fishing.
So cooked mussels then (either fresh or frozen ?).

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Great info mate thank you
Yes that would be my way of fishing,on the float in the margins for some of the big lumps we have in the pool,

Dusty

I’ve always used fresh ones but would use frozen.
I only use them as hookbait and tend to fish them over groundbait or pellet.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I usually cut them in half and done alright on them. For some reason I don't get a bite on whole ones.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Don't think you would get them out of the shell uncooked.
You'd risk cutting yourself badly

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not daft at all mate. Usually Carp, but I've had Bream and Barbel on them (that's stillwater Barbel).

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Tench, carp, perch, eels all still water. Also decent roach on bits of mussel. Cockles work as well.

Last edited:

sapperrich

Not daft at all mate. Usually Carp, but I've had Bream and Barbel on them (that's stillwater Barbel).
Cheers mate, might give them a go on local pool. The Carp are notoriously hard to catch but also has a good head of bream (my usual target on this venue)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Thinking about it most seafood is ok. Prawns, shrimp etc work as well. Many a good perch have been caught on a prawn, I also used them at Anglers Paradise to catch catfish.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Something I’m definitely going to try now. I‘ve had success on prawns but never tried mussels.

Has anyone tried cockles? It seems they are just the right size for bait without cutting them up.