Multi length rods - does it impact the action / casting accuracy

Philnun87

I was looking at a multi-length 10-11ft feeder rod and just wondered what people thoughts were. If the are a good quality rod does having that extra section to take it from 10ft to 11ft impact the action and casting accuracy?

why doesn’t everyone use multi length rods of the are no different from a standard 2-piece rod?

I was looking at a Daiwa tournament pro which I would hope had had a lot of thought go into the design.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I have the Drennan 9'6" / 11' feeder rod (the old 'Puddle Chucker' range) and I've only used the extension piece once.

Not because it was no use but because I've never needed it - on the waters I fish I can chuck a feeder perfectly adequately with the shorter rod.
To be fair I didn't buy it because it was usable at two different lengths - Drennan discontinued that model and my local tackle shop discounted the ones they had left to get shot of them - I was after a new short commercial tip rod so bought it. I thought the extension piece might come in useful but I haven't needed it.

Normally the extension pieces slots somewhere into the butt section, which is the area of the rod with the least action anyway so I wouldn't expect it to be altered significantly. I can't comment on the casting accuracy but I wouldn't of thought it would make a lot of difference.

Simon

Maverick

Site Supporter
In my opinion yes it does. I once had an 11-12 foot drennan method feeder combo. at 11ft it was a very good rod but at 12ft it wasn't. The only good point to it was that you could slip the extra 12" piece into the rod without having to break the rod down and set it up again as it had no rod eye on it.

Tried it a few times during a fishing session and always took the extension off again as it had an awful casting action with it fitted.

Last year after reading all the good feedback on the Free Spirit rods I once again chose an 11ft - 13ft option. At 11ft it is the best 11ft feeder rod I have ever owned. Put the 2ft extension piece in and it becomes the worst feeder rod I have ever owned. It also has the downside of needing to be broke down and re-set up as the 2ft extension has a rod eye in it, something that was not mentioned in the website description. Instead it was described as quick change from 11ft - 13ft and they made sure all photo's did not show the rod eye on the extension piece.

I spoke to Mark (Hutch) Hutchinson about the rod after I had bought it and he said in all honesty he never liked combo rods at all. He much preferred choosing a rod for a particular task.

He's a man who knows a thing or two about casting and I wish I had spoken to him before I bought the rod.

Last edited:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
When I was looking at getting a decent method feeder rod for short range work, I came across a review which recommended (amongst others) a 9-11ft Shimano Speedmaster rod. I took a closer look at the rod on Shimano's website and decided on the 10ft version which has served me well. Reading the comments on here, I'm glad I decided to buy a separate 11ft rod for longer chucks. I have noticed however, that some of Shimano's new Aero range feeders have an add on butt section to improve compression for distance casting- not sure if they solve the problem encountered here. I've no interest in those rods as I already have distance feeder rods, but I thought them worth a mention

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve only used a few multi length rods but my experience of them and I believe the general consensus on them is that they fish well at one length but not the other. Like they have their natural length that works like any other rod then the extension or reduction messes up the action a bit.

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am not a fan of any rod that uses a parallel extension piece to change the length as it obviously must affect the action, I don't mind multi length rods that supply a shorter/longer butt section so essentially not changing the taper of the rod. I have over the years had a few multi length rods and only ever found one that was decent at all lengths an that is a Tri-cast 4x4, even with Normarks adding the extension piece to the float rods turns a very good rod into an average rod

david white

Site Supporter
I am not a fan of any rod that uses a parallel extension piece to change the length as it obviously must affect the action, I don't mind multi length rods that supply a shorter/longer butt section so essentially not changing the taper of the rod. I have over the years had a few multi length rods and only ever found one that was decent at all lengths an that is a Tri-cast 4x4, even with Normarks adding the extension piece to the float rods turns a very good rod into an average rod
Exactly what is quoted above, couldn’t agree more
It ain’t exactly rocket science if a rod is designed at one length, the length of the handle spacing and positions of the rings will ( ought to have ! ) be sited to enhance the blanks action, add a parallel section all the above must be compromised, add a different length butt section would be the only viable option but essentially as the rod would now have the spigots at different distances to each other the action would be compromised
As much as I used to extol the virtues of the Normark team 2000 ( original ) range of float rods imho opinion the only thing the 2 ft extensions would ( did ) catch were those who splashed out on them

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I have the Drennan 9'6" / 11' feeder rod (the old 'Puddle Chucker' range) and I've only used the extension piece once.

Not because it was no use but because I've never needed it - on the waters I fish I can chuck a feeder perfectly adequately with the shorter rod.
To be fair I didn't buy it because it was usable at two different lengths - Drennan discontinued that model and my local tackle shop discounted the ones they had left to get shot of them - I was after a new short commercial tip rod so bought it. I thought the extension piece might come in useful but I haven't needed it.

Normally the extension pieces slots somewhere into the butt section, which is the area of the rod with the least action anyway so I wouldn't expect it to be altered significantly. I can't comment on the casting accuracy but I wouldn't of thought it would make a lot of difference.

Simon
My lad has the same rod but uses it at 11'. Swears by it for method feeder on commercial lakes when chucking over 30m for Carp. I tried it and found it very soft, which is what he prefers. So much so that he uses it in preference to his Tri-Cast method feeder.
I have the BeastMaster 9'/11'. Great at either length for Commercial Carp on method feeder.

rudd

Site Supporter
AKA The dolly bit (extension).
My JW Avons have a two foot dolly bit, as it plugs into butt section then the second section (two piece rods) goes into that, playing action is unaffected.
My issues are the rod feels unbalanced with the section in and why did they put an eye on the dolly section?
Must say they do cast further with the dolly section in (as expected).

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'd be more interested in the difference in power over a say 13-15' multi rod. Is the 15' more powerful due to the extra leverage, or is the 13' more powerful due to its shortness? Would/Should it be the same....... Interested in an answer?

alsur

Site Supporter
I've also got a 9/11ft Shimano Beastmaster and agree it's good at both length.

Philnun87

I already had a 9/11ft Speedmaster and have to say it’s one of the best rods I’ve ever used, but I have only used it a few times at 11ft so keen to see if other rods are good at both length. Good to hear about the Beastmaster

RMNDIL

Depends how the rod is made - which bit fits where - and what material those bits are made from regardless of taper. TBH I wouldn't fish without my 10ft/11ft Ultralights. A pair of them, for me, is better than 1x10ft and 1x11ft.

Philnun87

Depends how the rod is made - which bit fits where - and what material those bits are made from regardless of taper. TBH I wouldn't fish without my 10ft/11ft Ultralights. A pair of them, for me, is better than 1x10ft and 1x11ft.
That’s a good point, I am guessing the best place is for it to be at the butt and fit in?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It depends on the type of rod, the action and how the different lengths are achieved. I've found that the more through actioned a rod is, the less likely it is to be any good at different lengths. I've never found a rod using a dolly extension much good. I avoid 13' rods that extend to 14 or 15' like the plague. However, I've been a lot happier with 17' rods with a piece you take out to use it at 15'. A good rule of thumb would be wary of rods that come in a bag with three equal sections and a separate additional bit to lengthen the rod. If they are stored as three equal sections with a bit you take off to shorten the rod they are likely to be better.

The best I've seen are those with different length butt sections supplied. Close to that are those with one butt that different length first (butt) sections fit into. The original Shimano Beastmaster/Speedmaster Commercial 9/11' rods use this system without a problem.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The 3 ranges of the ubiquitous “daiwa 11/13” feeder rods that I own would fit inside the butt section taper at 11’, but with the 2’ extension would fit over the same “ferrule”. I suspect they all followed that pattern.
I believe that they were quite highly thought of!! :)

they have a rodring on the extension, as you’d expect with that length.

davepellet

just got me thinking about all the combo rods I've owned over the years....
it's a long list (all Drennan)

Series 7 11'6/13' carp waggler
Series 7 9'6/11' carp feeder
Matchpro 10'/11' bomb
floatmaster 13'/15'
Stillwater feeder 11'/12'6
Medium feeder 11'6/13'
Ultralight 10'/11' bomb/light feeder
Medium feeder 11'6/12'6

of these rods I only now have the last one listed, which I use at 12'6 for all my large water feeder fishing
all the others sadly have either been sold on or given away to youngsters just starting out

some of these had extensions, some had 2 complete bottom sections that fitted into the top of the handle...
can't say there was a bad rod among them, and in some case I wish I'd never got rid of them

It's hard to say whether they are as good at both lengths, for each one I suppose I relied on & used one of the lengths much more than the other, but that's not saying the rod was better at that length... it's more saying it suited what I wanted it for better at that length... so probably didn't use any one rod from the above enough at both lengths to offer any meaningful analysis

but what I will say is I would certainly buy combo rods again in the future...

matti

Site Supporter
I've got a few shimano beastmaster cx, 9-11 ft versions, both the float and feeder, I have to say when set to 9ft, there quite acceptable, but when set to 11ff, there rubbish, and only really use then when I've nothing else with me

grey

Site Supporter
There's no doubt the option of multi length changes the action, (not necessarily for the better or worse) and by how much depends on the style of rod. Fast rods generally less than it will a through action.

Some multi length rods have got it right, others ranges got it completely wrong. Off the top of my head, the Tricast 4x4 system, the Triaxial and their extenders, the Shakespear Superteam system, all Terry Smith feeder systems and the early Shimano multi length systems all have got it right. There are obviously other good multi length rods too.

Casting weights are sometimes affected, a 9-11 multilength will often have a slightly lighter action than the pure 11ft equivalent, so that's something to watch out for.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I was looking at a multi-length 10-11ft feeder rod and just wondered what people thoughts were. If the are a good quality rod does having that extra section to take it from 10ft to 11ft impact the action and casting accuracy?

why doesn’t everyone use multi length rods of the are no different from a standard 2-piece rod?

I was looking at a Daiwa tournament pro which I would hope had had a lot of thought go into the design.
I recently purchased a Daiwa Air AGS 9-10ft of a fellow MD. Only used it once so i can't give you a full review. I used the rod 2 weeks ago at Tamar fishing the open end feeder at 25 metres. Casting was effortless and straight as an arrow every time, no twist in the blank, plenty of power in the casting. fishing the rod at 10ft. Action was perfect in landing skimmers to 3lb. No concerns with the multi length. Never had one before, so far all seems well. Appreciate this is a £500 rod so the action and quality is exceptional.
I was that impressed with the rod thought about getting the 10-11ft but feel i need to use it more and try on a commercial before making that decision. Devon Dangler i understand has a Tournament 10-11ft and he confirmed it was also a very good rod.

Had many rods over the last few years, Daiwa is my favourite in terms of action.

Good luck with your purchase.