Mullet

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Had a couple of hours last night floating bread on a little creek as the tide was coming in. Lost 2 that were bigger than the 3 we landed. Always the case.
The creek as it fills, would really lend itself to trotting. Was thinking of giving it ago. Just need to find a bait that we can cast and run through. Don't really want to use bread as it doesn't stay on the hook long enough and therefore requires more retrieving and casting. Meaning more chance of spooking the shy fish. Does anyone know if maggot would work? Would definitely suit the style of fishing for the water but would it suit the Mullet?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've never fished for mullet but apparently you've done well to land a couple. They're meant to be notoriously difficult to catch on rod & line and supposedly have very hard mouths, making them difficult to hook. Might be worth making sure you've a strong hook if you've lost a couple.
Maybe something like mussel or prawn would work, being a natural food for them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have seen people have them on maggots and at times they’ll take worms. Never targeted them myself as you rarely see them anywhere but in marinas where you can’t fish wherever I’ve been haha

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
We get mullet on maggot in the Dock, mainly reds but l have heard whites work OK aswell.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Been down tonight, nothing on maggot. The lad had 3 on floating bread.
To be fair the maggots were mixed and pretty poor

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
They certainly eat maggots but you might do better with a couple of peeler crab legs or a peeled claw if you can get them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if you can get some

harbour rag, small thin ragworms that live in silty mud, you can collect em yourself but its dirty work,

crusty

if you can get some

harbour rag, small thin ragworms that live in silty mud, you can collect em yourself but its dirty work,

And quite dangerous really, I would never dig on my own. I've needed assistance and helped others more than once.
Great bait though, flatfish crack.

Ian

rudd

Site Supporter
Had a couple of hours last night floating bread on a little creek as the tide was coming in. Lost 2 that were bigger than the 3 we landed. Always the case.
The creek as it fills, would really lend itself to trotting. Was thinking of giving it ago. Just need to find a bait that we can cast and run through. Don't really want to use bread as it doesn't stay on the hook long enough and therefore requires more retrieving and casting. Meaning more chance of spooking the shy fish. Does anyone know if maggot would work? Would definitely suit the style of fishing for the water but would it suit the Mullet?
Harbour or Silver rag worm trotted a few feet deep.
Will pick up Schoolie bass as well.

TonyA

Site Supporter
I'd go along with the ragworm but my most successful bait was a 1cm sq. of bacon rind with fat attached.

pikey123

Fished for grey mullet in morecambe over 45yrs ago at side of a tourist attraction called Moby Dick fished as tide came in and came up the wall of a boating lake.I used Energen rolls and fished tight to the wall using 8lb line size 6 hooks a good scrap, there has recently been a video on facebook showing a big shoal in the river lune in lancaster.