Mullet Tips

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bass and pollock are offshore as much as they are inshore year round really but I had no idea until that day that mullet did the same. Was like what on earth is that when I saw it surface 😂

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Mullet can sometimes be wonderfully easy to catch and frustratingly hard on more pressured areas, they are an amazing fish, I've had them wolf down golf ball sized bits of bread yet other times I've had to go down to a small bit of punch just to get a take from the fish that were 'drinking' the bread. Thick lipped and Golden Greys go for bread a lot and Thin Lipped prefer a small bit of rag attached to a spinner, as it's hard to tell Thicks from Thins I always opt for the bread approach, nothing fancy just a bucket of sloppy bread, fed little and often and that should draw fish in, and when they show there's not much more exciting moments in fishing as you'll often see the fish first.

Bread can often draw in bass too in certain areas so don't be shocked when you hear huge slurps off the top, both fish go like stink although with mullet you will get the odd fish that just doesn't want to go in your landing net, this can be quite comical, last year I found myself almost lifting out a 1lb fish just to get the damn thing in the net - I was on 6lb line.

Here's a blog post from last year that should inspire, ps I'm no expert and still learning

Mud, Mullet & Mr President

If you do hook a good mullet it can be quite explosive, so buckle up and prepare for the ride

P1020032.JPG

Mullet on a run are pound for pound stronger than any fish in Uk waters, nearest thing to bonefish we have, you certainly know when youre connected to one, nice pic

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
All I will say is don't fish too light, or they will do you on the first run !

Gordy

My tip if it’s a shallow water estuary is fly fishing for them. They can be very difficult to catch in clear slow moving water on bait and I’ve had a lot more success on the fly that I ever did with any bait. Nothing in UK waters is as much fun as mullet, they go like speedboats and incredibly intelligent with it.

adriang

Site Supporter
When I've fished for Mullet down here in the far South West I have always found it beneficial to get the shoal feeding first, whether that be by pre-baiting or carefully ground baiting. I've not had very good results by just fishing into the shoal or targeting individuals I try and get them into a feeding frenzy first.

As for tackle I use a a match rod, 8lb line, a clear bubble float (the type that has a plug so it can be made buoyant with water) and a size 14 hook. Bait is usually bread or Mackerel with some blended up for ground bait. It can be really frustrating with the amount of near misses, so you will need plenty of patience but it is great fun.

Good luck.
Had a few sessions on the River Axe (I think) in North Devon some years back. Pretty well this method. We also used heavy, dumpy waggers, similar to the DH specimen wagglers, nothing down the line.

The feeding frenzy approach was the key from what I remembered.

And very frustrating..