Mugging.. For or against?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair, it should all depend on the fishery rules - not a rule regarding mugging but rules regarding if a float is a necessity, if the float needs to be in the water, if there is a minimum hooklength, the length of the lash, and if floating baits are allowed.

If the act of mugging breaks any of the rules then it shouldn't be allowed.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve only ever seen people seated when they do this (admittedly on YouTube) but I can see where an angler on the next peg standing and potentially disturbing your peg would be annoying.

Total

Site Supporter
To be fair, it should all depend on the fishery rules - not a rule regarding mugging but rules regarding if a float is a necessity, if the float needs to be in the water, if there is a minimum hooklength, the length of the lash, and if floating baits are allowed.

If the act of mugging breaks any of the rules then it shouldn't be allowed.
It's all too easy to set precedence's here and venues/match organisers need to be very careful....Mugging on the pole now....I've heard similar terms applied to the pellet waggler.....:(

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve always took the view that if an angler has come up with a new technique that is catching fish then I’ve to learn said technique and better it if I want to win. I’ve never moaned and groaned like some do about new methods. My first encounter of this came in the mid to late 70’s when I started winning my local canal matches against the adults. I was one of the first to use a pole with a crock tip and light 1.1 - 12oz Bayer Perlon. They were using silly floats and washing line. It got to a point where my dad had to intervene as they were talking about banning me if I carried on using a pole. 🙄

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It shouldn't be banned, but it's an incredibly cheesy and boring way of fishing IMO. An hour of mugging would suck the joy out of the day for me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It shouldn't be banned, but it's an incredibly cheesy and boring way of fishing IMO. An hour of mugging would suck the joy out of the day for me.
By that logic would you find sight casting bonefish on a flat boring or brownies on a chalk stream? It’s not that different really when you think about it in terms of putting a bait in front of a fish.

Last edited:

Griffo

Site Supporter
Muggin, before it was used as a match fishing tactic we used to use it to pick off big carp or chub, it’s just another method of catching, providing the rules are set what’s the problem, I can miss as many fish muggin as I can any other method to be honest.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It seems that we, anglers, are a very self destructive bunch. Someone starts cleaning up and the rest, instead of acquiring a new skill, call for it to be banned. Hemp, bloodworm & joker, floating poles, feeders, surface fishing etc etc have all come under scrutiny over the years. Let's just catch some fish.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Just read a thread on a match fishing group about mugging. It seems to really divide opinion. What's everyone take on mugging in matches? For it? Against it and think it should be banned? If so why?

I personally don't have a problem with it and will do it where allowed.
Its a great method 👍 😇

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It certainly is, put someone up against the experts at it and see how they fare……
Put someone up against any expert in any sport and they'll get smashed up 🤷‍♀️

I'm not saying it's not an acquired skilled where knowledge is needed but it's not ex actly as in depth as other methods of fishing..

alsur

Site Supporter
Can't see a problem with it, but I think standing on box is not acceptable on closely peg commercials in some cases standing up alone would be enough to spook fish feeding close in.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
nothing against mugging per se, learning how to do it properly and getting the best out of it is a skill.
But allowing people to stand on the seats of the seat boxes to spot fish feels wrong and can impact anglers around them nurturing margin pegs.

Total

Site Supporter
I think the sun IS getting to everyone. 🤣🤣. Never met Dave but, he told me he is 6’ 4” and looks a lot like Ricky Martin. Ive no cause to disbelieve him. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣🤣🤣
I think you need to book an appointment with an otorhinolaryngologist to get your hearing sorted mate....:rolleyes:(y).....I think the conversation may have gone along the lines of.... ".....I'm 4' 6" and I'm just popping out to the vets to get our Winston some Bob Martin tablets.....":oops:;)