Mugging.. For or against?

rob6709

Site Supporter
Just read a thread on a match fishing group about mugging. It seems to really divide opinion. What's everyone take on mugging in matches? For it? Against it and think it should be banned? If so why?

I personally don't have a problem with it and will do it where allowed.

mbuna_matt

Same here - its only sight fishing taken to a higher level. Who hasn't thrown a line at a showing fish / swarm of bubbles etc in the hopes of catching the perpetrator? Its not something I have tried (mugging) yet - but I have done plenty of the latter! I suspect the fly fishing fraternity do it quite a lot too......

satinet

Site Supporter
What would the rule against it be? No casting a bait within X inches of a visible fish. Can't see how that would work.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
From what I’ve seen the arguments are about standing up to mug, not just mugging per se.

ive never done it, but I’ve seen it done to devastating effect by good anglers.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I equate it to fishing shallow / slapping it's a skill some can do and some can't or haven't tried, but try to get banned on spurious grounds.

Having said that @Dave said if I ban mugging for the Pork Pie Match he will pay for my breakfast, which is a legitimate reason to ban it.

I'm open ho a higher bid @Peter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think a lot of the arguments start, especially on the more tightly pegged venues when anglers are stood up (and occasionally stood on their seatboxes to get a better view) trying to spot fish and potentially skylining other anglers margins. Other than that I can't see any objections.
Is there really any difference to dropping a bait into the margin when you see a large tail waving at you? ;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think a lot of the arguments start, especially on the more tightly pegged venues when anglers are stood up (and occasionally stood on their seatboxes to get a better view) trying to spot fish and potentially skylining other anglers margins. Other than that I can't see any objections.
Is there really any difference to dropping a bait into the margin when you see a large tail waving at you? ;)
🤣🤣. I can’t see you and Dave standing on your new seat box seats for no carp. 🤣🤣👍